• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New HE5XX from Drop: Is this just a DEVA?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Drop announced today that a new Drop edition HE5XX will be available for sale starting tomorrow:
https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he5xx

Mad Lust Envy was given a pre-release pair and published a review today: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/drop-x-hifiman-he-5xx.945708/ Price would appear to be $220.

Crinacle posted at SBAF that the 93.5 db sensitivity and 18 ohm impedance are the same as the Deva. And then scaled his Deva measurements to match what Jude took for the HE5XX and they look very similar: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...xx-review-and-measurements.10082/#post-323197

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this headphone performs once more people get their hands on it. And with the HD560S and X3 (now down to $215 on Amazon) within the last month or so, good news for people looking for new headphones in the ~$200 range.

Last edited:

TechEnthusiast

Looks the same, but black and with 2 single ended connections. So there will be no option for a Bluemini.

qwerty88

Joshua Valour gave it a lukewarm response initially. One of the more interesting things from his preview video was his opinion of the HE5XX's lower dynamics, which is kind of a signature of their newer models in contrast to their old HE-line, particularly the HE-500 and HE-6. From Crinacle's post, it seems that the tonality of the HE5XX is closer to the Deva than the HE-500. Drop and Hifiman should have named it the DevaX or DevX, essentially the wired Deva with a new colorway and the Drop+Hifiman headband.

Reactions: PSO

TechEnthusiast

Joshua Valour gave it a lukewarm response initially. One of the more interesting things from his preview video was his opinion of the HE5XX's lower dynamics, which is kind of a signature of their newer models in contrast to their old HE-line, particularly the HE-500 and HE-6. From Crinacle's post, it seems that the tonality of the HE5XX is closer to the Deva than the HE-500. Drop and Hifiman should have named it the DevaX or DevX, essentially the wired Deva with a new colorway and the Drop+Hifiman headband.
I sampled the Deva's and if they are similar to them, you are better off with the Deva's. As with the Deva's they will be a loose fit that becomes fatiguing an hour or so in. And if the sound is the same they will lack the dynamics of a Sundara. But if you do like the sound I would go for the Deva's with the bluetooth mini that adds another $80, but well worth it. Definitely a step above my Sony XM4 in SQ as a BT alternative. The bluemini is quite impressive by itself. Weighs only 25 grams includes a quality amp that really drives an otherwise inefficient set of headphones all with BT 4.2 LDAC/APTX and a DAC on board.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
the bluetooth mini that adds another $80, but well worth it
Not familiar with the bluemini, but suggest it be compared to the Qudelix 5k for $30 more. ($110). Qudelix includes a great 10-band PEQ, dual ESS9218P with Reconstruction Filter selection, a nice app, and like the ES100 or BTR3, is not tied to a particular HP.

TechEnthusiast

Not familiar with the bluemini, but suggest it be compared to the Qudelix 5k for $30 more. ($110). Qudelix includes a great 10-band PEQ, dual ESS9218P with Reconstruction Filter selection, a nice app, and like the ES100 or BTR3, is not tied to a particular HP.
Perhaps, but it won't mount onto the headphone, and you will add wires into the mix. And I doubt that Qudelix can drive these like the bluemini, that is without resorting to balanced. I have a BTR5 as an example and it pales in comparison on 3.5. I do not know if the bluemini is using balanced though as I never checked that part out.

OP
raistlin65

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sampled the Deva's and if they are similar to them, you are better off with the Deva's. As with the Deva's they will be a loose fit that becomes fatiguing an hour or so in. And if the sound is the same they will lack the dynamics of a Sundara. But if you do like the sound I would go for the Deva's with the bluetooth mini that adds another $80, but well worth it. Definitely a step above my Sony XM4 in SQ as a BT alternative. The bluemini is quite impressive by itself. Weighs only 25 grams includes a quality amp that really drives an otherwise inefficient set of headphones all with BT 4.2 LDAC/APTX and a DAC on board.

Is the fatigue due to treble with the Deva?

Assuming we can compare these two different measurements, since they use the same equipment, treble response is different enough that the perception of it could be quite different

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...xx-review-and-measurements.10082/#post-323197

TechEnthusiast

Is the fatigue due to treble with the Deva?

Assuming we can compare these two different measurements, since they use the same equipment, treble response is different enough that the perception of it could be quite different

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...xx-review-and-measurements.10082/#post-323197
They do look very similar. The black paint is probably the only thing affecting the differences....lol. I will say that I immediately liked the Deva's when I got them. But it was being compared to my Grado SR 325i and Sennheiser HD590 from yesteryear. Then I picked up the Sundara's and that's when it all changed for me. Then I began to notice the differences. The Sundara's provided more smoothness in the upper end as well as more punch in the low end for me. The Deva's did present as wide a soundstage but in the end the Deva's were too fatiguing both physically and audibly. So for the extra $50 I kept the Sundara's. I'd rather use my Sony XM4 for BT listening anyway.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
At this point, though I may have missed a definitive answer - I see Drop claiming the magnet geometry of the HE5xx is 'double sided' while the Deva is not.

Yet there are posts saying HFM themselves saying the Deva is also 'double sided'.

Which is it? Do we need to rip both apart to physically examine?

Arghhh!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point, though I may have missed a definitive answer - I see Drop claiming the magnet geometry of the HE5xx is 'double sided' while the Deva is not.

Yet there are posts saying HFM themselves saying the Deva is also 'double sided'.

Arghhh!
I would be amazed if this pretty low price pair has any "new" tech in it, so the drivers are almost certainly taken from one of the existing (or past) HFM models. I doubt the Deva sales have set the world alight and it won't be any of the elongated shaped cup ones.

Plus it's 18ohm I think, which would fit with something designed for Bluetooth cans.

bobbooo

Major Contributor

Arghhh!

HifiMan's founder and CEO Fang Bian says twice in this video that the Deva has double-sided magnets:

I'd say that's a more reliable source than Drop. But really, it doesn't matter how many magnets they have. What matters is the frequency response, and the Deva and HE5XX are the same (or at least extremely similar) in that respect.

Last edited:

iucoen

HifiMan's founder and CEO Fang Bian says twice in this video that the Deva has double-sided magnets:

I'd say that's a more reliable source than Drop. But really, it doesn't matter how many magnets they have. What matters is the frequency response, and the Deva and HE5XX are the same (or at least extremely similar) in that respect.

Resolve just posted some pictures shining a light through the Deva and showed that they are in fact dual-sided...

Anyway, I think I'm done with Drop... All indications point to the fact they slapped their brand on a product and had no idea what it is. I think I'll get me some Sundaras.

OP
raistlin65

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Resolve just posted some pictures shining a light through the Deva and showed that they are in fact dual-sided...

Anyway, I think I'm done with Drop... All indications point to the fact they slapped their brand on a product and had no idea what it is. I think I'll get me some Sundaras.

Why does that matter? Just wait and see how it performs. And if it's a good value and has the sound signature you're looking for.

If objectivists refuse to consider products from companies and vendors that made misleading or false claims, or in this instance, don't even really understand their product, there would be almost no products to buy and very few vendors to buy from. lol

Seriously, the lesson which I think many of us have already learned is don't ever rely on them for accurate information.

OP
raistlin65

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone at Head-Fi contacted Drop. This is what Drop had to say about the seeming similarities in driver design with the Deva. Drop says it's a new driver:

“Hey Trellus, thanks for your interest in the product can't wait to get it in your hands. I'm glad you're not mad, I am a little mad at this situation TBH.

We explain this is a unique driver design, somebody posts "It looks the same as other thing so it is the same", and I'm back here explaining that you can't water crops with brawndo.

Here are some performance determining factors that carry no visual indicator:

What's the strength of the magnetic array and orientation of the field? If you have magnets on both sides, but it's tuned for 90/10 ratio of strength on one side, it's essentially a single sided structure, and it'll sound like a single sided structure.

What about the strength of individual magnets in the array? If the outer magnets are stronger than the inner magnets, sound and performance will be different.

What about the diaphragm tension and coating treatments? Higher and lower tension completely change the sound and distortion characteristics. Nano-meters of thickness in the diaphragm make a difference so surface laminates and treatments have a HUGE impact on sound for planar drivers.

The 5XX's magnetic field makeup is unique, the magnet array design is unique, the diaphragm tension and coatings are unique.

Anyway /rant, I'm excited to get these shipped and see the reviews.”

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/drop-x-hifiman-he-5xx.945708/page-11#post-15947959

TechEnthusiast

You will not be disappointed!

OP
raistlin65

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So similar, but obviously some acoustic changes. Who knows if it's "the same" driver at this point. Good to see measurements though.

Well, unless Drop is lying, it is at least a derivative of the DEVA driver, not the same driver.

At the same time, the frequency response measurements are also similar to the OG HE-500 with Jerg Pads.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...iew-and-measurements.10082/page-6#post-323726

So positioning it as an HE5 model does not seem to be the great travesty that some have griped about.

Top Bottom