• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New guy on the block... but have always loved music.

OP
hnash53

hnash53

Yup. You might read some threads regarding the myth of MQA and hi-res music. Beyond 16 bits (CD) it's all in our minds at this point in life... lol. I'd guess that the average age here is mid 60's... so most, including me, are facing the same reality. It's never too late to learn and these guys are a bunch of knowledgeable objectivists. Seize the day and welcome.
So just maybe I might be able to detect a step up in audio quality?

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You might want to list your current gear in your signature. That way, any question that you ask a thread, can cut to the chase without having to ask the details. That, along with giving as much info about the steps that you're considering, size, cost, functionality needed, looks, etc. I've totally replaced both of my rigs and added a third, entirely from info gained in the last 18 months. End game for me. So, the short answer to your question is, Absolutely. You're a science teacher... you've been doing this for a lifetime... lol. Just beware any spooky actions at a distance.

I highly recommend that you browse Amir's reviews, they're eye opening.

dday84

I just joined the forum today as well too, as I have gradualy realized over time that most of what is perpetuated in the audio equipment industry is just ridiculous and not based on anything other than unsubstantiated claims. I've been reading the ASR fourms with interest for awhile, and finally figured I would join. I've never spent what I think is crazy amounts of money on any piece of audio gear, but I was always curious what really expensive setups sound like. I went to a "high end" audio show a few months back and got to hear some extremely expensive setups. I wanted to see and hear exactly what I was missing, and it turns out, I am not really missing anything as far as sound goes, and it also made me realize that tube gear is not some holy grail of audio. I am not saying everything sounded bad that I heard at that show, but nothing I heard that day was any better than my setup at home I thought.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I just joined the forum today as well too, as I have gradualy realized over time that most of what is perpetuated in the audio equipment industry is just ridiculous and not based on anything other than unsubstantiated claims. I've been reading the ASR fourms with interest for awhile, and finally figured I would join. I've never spent what I think is crazy amounts of money on any piece of audio gear, but I was always curious what really expensive setups sound like. I went to a "high end" audio show a few months back and got to hear some extremely expensive setups. I wanted to see and hear exactly what I was missing, and it turns out, I am not really missing anything as far as sound goes, and it also made me realize that tube gear is not some holy grail of audio. I am not saying everything sounded bad that I heard at that show, but nothing I heard that day was any better than my setup at home I thought.
Welcome.

Multicore

Major Contributor
This place is a bit like "Audiophile" rehab.
This!

Well now I’m shamelessly stealing that! Perfect distillation of the joint. Nice. ;)
Right on!

I have been baffled by some of the stuff that goes on here and I've been suspecting that this might explain things. For example, I wrote recently that I don't understand the amount and degree of hate and emotional vitriol at overpriced cables while overpriced electronics, speakers and headphones are relatively well tolerated. A $700 XLR patch cable is scandalous, fraudulent, criminal, something should be done about it, call the FTC! But a $3000 DAC is just expensive.

I suspect personal history going on here. For example, the reformed cult member or addict can be quite passionate, as can the mark of a swindle. Rehab, as you say. I have hesitated to say anything about this since, you know, ...

Ftr, I am not and never have been an audiophile. I was inoculated against that quite young when I visited a Hi-Fi show in Edinburgh in the 80s. That was not the scene I was into and I steered clear since. I did however get to listen to Back-Woods Song by Gateway (John Abercrombie) on Yamaha NS1000 speakers driven by Yamaha's best amp and that was great. The salesdude wasn't getting much traffic so we listened to all of it. I recall it sounding tremendous and I stll love that old ECM recording. For me, the goal is to listen to recordings as loud as I want without the equipment annoying me with hiss, artefacts (distortions), honks or other gross discolorations.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I just joined the forum today as well too, as I have gradualy realized over time that most of what is perpetuated in the audio equipment industry is just ridiculous and not based on anything other than unsubstantiated claims.
That goes too far for me. There's definitely some silly stuff in the audiophile or hi-end part of the market but there are plenty of sold performers and value to be found in mass market and pro audio sectors. Some quite simple heuristics warn me away from the silly stuff and I don't grant it my attention.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
There's a gulf between audiophiles and at-home music lovers. It gets felt more strongly as one wades into the surf of sound.
Check for sharks, undertow, and drowning hazards before you get in over your head.

Audiophiles' primary motivation is supposed perfection in music reproduction. That means mainly audio science.
Music lovers' primary motive is enjoyable music listening without annoying distractions. That means mainly the musical arts.

Both types like music. Both types enjoy quality music playback. They are fellow travelers, but with different motives.

Navigate your priorities with some care. Avoid getting sucked into the ocean of cross currents. -Just one man's view.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Both types like music. Both types enjoy quality music playback. They are fellow travelers, but with different motives.
Navigate your priorities with some care. Avoid getting sucked into the ocean of cross currents. -Just one man's view.
Glub... glub... gl...

dday84

That goes too far for me. There's definitely some silly stuff in the audiophile or hi-end part of the market but there are plenty of sold performers and value to be found in mass market and pro audio sectors. Some quite simple heuristics warn me away from the silly stuff and I don't grant it my attention.

Of course there is well made, good performing, and good sounding gear available at reasonable and fair prices. When I state the ridiculousness of "what is perpetuated in the audio equipment industry" I am talking about all the things that go on related to audio equipment, and not just the companies that make and sell gear. This includes for example the paid reviews and Youtube influencers where all sorts of flowery language is used to describe the "emotional impact" of a piece of gear, many audio equipment forums where people can say anything and claim that a person can't have good sound unless they spend 'x' amount of $$$, and yes some of the equipment manufacturers themselves ( high priced cable companies as one big example of this). It seems like many companies like to throw the term "audiophile" around in their marketing, which means nothing other than I guess people think of it as a stamp of approval and are conditioned to think that when they hear or read that word it automatically means that gear is better built and better sounding than something that is not described as audiophile.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Of course there is well made, good performing, and good sounding gear available at reasonable and fair prices. When I state the ridiculousness of "what is perpetuated in the audio equipment industry" I am talking about all the things that go on related to audio equipment, and not just the companies that make and sell gear. This includes for example the paid reviews and Youtube influencers where all sorts of flowery language is used to describe the "emotional impact" of a piece of gear, many audio equipment forums where people can say anything and claim that a person can't have good sound unless they spend 'x' amount of $$$, and yes some of the equipment manufacturers themselves ( high priced cable companies as one big example of this). It seems like many companies like to throw the term "audiophile" around in their marketing, which means nothing other than I guess people think of it as a stamp of approval and are conditioned to think that when they hear or read that word it automatically means that gear is better built and better sounding than something that is not described as audiophile.
Ok, let's say you're right about this. Then my questions is Why do you care?

There's a lot of silliness that goes on in a lot of human activities, especially when lots of money is at steak. Whatever your interests might be—dogs, horses, sailing boats, art paintings, architecture, cameras, clothing, designer furnishings, etc.—there's a part of the market that's concerned with commerce in the most silly expensive stuff. I find it mostly easy to ignore and occasionally good for a laugh but of all the things going on the world that get to me, that stuff is seldom the problem.

It isn't even interesting. Rich people spending lots of dough on silly stuff is boring, dull, dreary, yawn-inducing, meh. A new Teutonic Richmobile is not interesting, merely banal and expensive. But a1980 Fiat 128 that somehow still works, yeah, I'll take a look.

If you found a way to sell $50k-worth of "emotional impact" to some fool with affluenza, I'd congratulate you, we'd both have a good laugh and then we'd go do something more interesting, like listening to some music.

dday84

Ok, let's say you're right about this. Then my questions is Why do you care?

There's a lot of silliness that goes on in a lot of human activities, especially when lots of money is at steak. Whatever your interests might be—dogs, horses, sailing boats, art paintings, architecture, cameras, clothing, designer furnishings, etc.—there's a part of the market that's concerned with commerce in the most silly expensive stuff. I find it mostly easy to ignore and occasionally good for a laugh but of all the things going on the world that get to me, that stuff is seldom the problem.

It isn't even interesting. Rich people spending lots of dough on silly stuff is boring, dull, dreary, yawn-inducing, meh. A new Teutonic Richmobile is not interesting, merely banal and expensive. But a1980 Fiat 128 that somehow still works, yeah, I'll take a look.

If you found a way to sell $50k-worth of "emotional impact" to some fool with affluenza, I'd congratulate you, we'd both have a good laugh and then we'd go do something more interesting, like listening to some music.
I love music and I do like audio gear, so obviously I care to some degree about audio equipment.

However, I think perhaps you are reading way more into my initial posts here and assuming that I have some deep rooted resentment against the audio industry and very expensive equipment, or those who buy such expensive equipment. I just happened to join ASR yesterday as a posting member, and then noticed this thread started by someone who had just joined as well, so I simply responded that I had also just joined since this forum seems to avoid most of what I consider the "ridiculous" aspects of audio.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I love music and I do like audio gear, so obviously I care to some degree about audio equipment.

However, I think perhaps you are reading way more into my initial posts here and assuming that I have some deep rooted resentment against the audio industry and very expensive equipment, or those who buy such expensive equipment. I just happened to join ASR yesterday as a posting member, and then noticed this thread started by someone who had just joined as well, so I simply responded that I had also just joined since this forum seems to avoid most of what I consider the "ridiculous" aspects of audio.
Welcome to ASR... in all it's geeked out glory. How many veils have been lifted for you since yesterday?

Multicore

Major Contributor

Well, I apologize if I came over too strong.

There is good information here and people provide very helpful answers to questions. I hope you find some value here too.

dday84

Well, I apologize if I came over too strong.

There is good information here and people provide very helpful answers to questions. I hope you find some value here too.

No problem at all. There is good info on this site I have used as I have been reading the forums here regularly for a couple of years now. I just never joined until yesterday as I had a specific question in regards to any measurements of electronic stereo devices (not speakers) that would correspond to soundstage width and depth. This forum seemed better suited for that type of question.

Top Bottom