• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New GR-Research Video - Audiophile Cable Truths

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
NOTE: Danny has posted a new video today that at the 3:00 references the "flat earth guys" who supposed inhabit places like this.
Wow! I thought he was bad before. Now his "scientific proof" for cables is that other people selling cables claim the same things? I am sure there are a number of companies selling useless hair growth shampoos. Can each one reference the other as "scientific proof?" Does he take us for idiots?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sure there are a number of companies selling useless hair growth shampoos.
Not useless at all you flat earthers :p, here is the proof, before:

before.jpg

And after:

after.jpg

Q.E.D., SO ALSO CABLE SOUND DIFFERENCE IS PROVEN!!!!!!!111111oneeleven

Last edited:
OP
cursive

cursive

Forum Donor
Haha @thewas It's so ironic that he's calling people who follow the science flat earthers. I mean does he think flat earthers are somehow using science to prove the earth is flat? So backwards it's funny.

Looking at the comments on his latest video though, the vast majority of them, especially the top comments are encouraging. Almost all of them are pointing out his flawed logic, and how messed up the whole snake oil cable industry is.

one of my favorites is "So the argument that the "cable industry" is not bullshit is that there are companies working in the cable industry. Ok "

So perhaps we're getting through! Science for the win.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.......Does he take us for idiots?

My guess is that he actually believes what he is saying. Objectively examining his own assumptions would so fracture his world view and upend the GR-research business plan that he cannot bring himself to do it. His entire paradigm would be shattered just by doing a few double blind tests.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
What I thought Vishay/Dale and Nichicon were the audiophile brands? Have I been lied to all these years?

If Nichicon is an audiophile brand, I am sitting on a absolute gold mine of 20 cent capacitors! Am I about to learn Xicon is similarly awesome?! Jackpot!

Daverz

Major Contributor
Haha @thewas It's so ironic that he's calling people who follow the science flat earthers. I mean does he think flat earthers are somehow using science to prove the earth is flat? So backwards it's funny.

Art Dudley also liked to call objectivists "flat earthers". Peewee Herman explains the tactic best:

tenor.gif

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
The flat earthers nonsense is the laziest and and most dishonest type of debate tactic. It is the same as starting off with, "This is Bob. He beats his children. Today, we are debating RF interference with Bob, who is obviously and undeniably evil."

I am not normally a fan of engaging in tit-for-tat with YTers, but the flat earth thing blows it wide open.

Swtoby

Wow! I thought he was bad before. Now his "scientific proof" for cables is that other people selling cables claim the same things? I am sure there are a number of companies selling useless hair growth shampoos. Can each one reference the other as "scientific proof?" Does he take us for idiots?
The big problem I had was his recommending MIT and Transparent, the one beget the other I was told by my former audio dealer in the days I was suckered into buying MIT. As Peter Aczel pointed out when awarding Bruce Brisson of MIT a black hat, MIT likes using graphs and impressive buzzwords that don't tell you much about what is going on inside those impressive machined boxes. I remember someone cutting open one of the more affordable boxes only to reveal cheap capacitors. The cost of entry for this "superior" performance is in the hundreds, minimally. My take is this man is as impressed as I was with ad copy.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When extraterrestrials invade Earth and take out our internet and phone systems, people with sensible inexpensive audio cables will be the only ones able to tune in to the Human Resistance's AM radio signal with our cables as antennas. So we would learn where the human rallying points and sanctuaries are, whereas audiophiles with fancy RFI-blocking cables would be left in the dark.

mansr

Major Contributor
When extraterrestrials invade Earth and take out our internet and phone systems, people with sensible inexpensive audio cables will be the only ones able to tune in to the Human Resistance's AM radio signal with our cables as antennas. So we would learn where the human rallying points and sanctuaries are, whereas audiophiles with fancy RFI-blocking cables would be left in the dark.
https://www.amazon.com/review/R3I8VKTCITJCX6

DaaDaa

His last video was shameful. Transparent cable already has no credibility and he is referencing them

Last edited:

josh358

This is wrong because these cables are not acting as antennas for 20 Hz - 20 KHz - these are picking up frequencies that are much higher. The correct test is to plug these cables into a low-frequency spectrum analyzer and look at the noise in the audible range, as that would translate directly to noise contributions. You could even hook up a nice reference signal if you wanted to perform multi-tone tests and stuff like that.
Until the radio frequency hits something that acts like a diode and is demodulated.

Not agreeing with Danny here -- even if you lived near a transmitter, I doubt these cables would improve anything -- just pointing out that RFI is a real thing, as anyone who's ever heard Wxxx coming out of their speakers can attest.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Until the radio frequency hits something that acts like a diode and is demodulated.

Not agreeing with Danny here -- even if you lived near a transmitter, I doubt these cables would improve anything -- just pointing out that RFI is a real thing, as anyone who's ever heard Wxxx coming out of their speakers can attest.

I've never lived where that's been an issue at all with my gear. I never lived where radio stations started with W either :) That would indeed be annoying. I had a friend a very long time ago who got some powerful (illegal too IIRC) am transmitter on his, tho....he lived in far southern California, some Tijuana pirate station or something....but don't believe it was a speaker wire issue, just overpowered the receiver.

josh358

I've never lived where that's been an issue at all with my gear. I never lived where radio stations started with W either :) That would indeed be annoying. I had a friend a very long time ago who got some powerful (illegal too IIRC) am transmitter on his, tho....he lived in far southern California, some Tijuana pirate station or something....but don't believe it was a speaker wire issue, just overpowered the receiver.
It's only the ones that begin with "W" that cause interference. :) Seriously, the times I've known it to happen have been when someone was very close to the transmitter, had a neighbor with a linear amplifier on his CB radio, etc. I had an intermittent problem like that myself once -- never did figure out what was causing it. And I had a client whose facility looked out on the Empire State Building -- amazing view, but he was so close to the antenna mast that he had W something coming out of everything.

SnoopKatt

Regardless you can't correlate radio reception of the cables to the impact on noise/interference. It if can be demodulated it would show up in a 20 Hz- 20 KHz spectrum. That would be much more telling.

Brucemck2

He may be wrong on cables (I don’t have a well formed view), but, he’s designed some of the best speakers I’ve heard over the last thirty years. I’ve particularly appreciated his “design flexibility” - line arrays, standard sealed boxes, open baffle units, planar magnetic and traditional domes, and on and on.

josh358

Regardless you can't correlate radio reception of the cables to the impact on noise/interference. It if can be demodulated it would show up in a 20 Hz- 20 KHz spectrum. That would be much more telling.
I'm not even sure how such a measurement could be meaningful in practice, since RF levels vary dramatically and the demodulation is going to depend on dirty connections, transistor junctions, etc. that will vary from device to device. As you say, you'd want to measure within the audio passband, but conditions vary so widely that I'm not sure what would be meaningful. In any case, if you do get RFI, there are ways of dealing with it effectively that don't involve exotic cables.

OP
cursive

cursive

Forum Donor
He may be wrong on cables (I don’t have a well formed view), but, he’s designed some of the best speakers I’ve heard over the last thirty years. I’ve particularly appreciated his “design flexibility” - line arrays, standard sealed boxes, open baffle units, planar magnetic and traditional domes, and on and on.
Again absolutely no animosity towards Danny, after all we're all audio nuts, and that unites us, even if we have really different views on certain aspects. I don't think Danny is intentionally trying to rip anyone off, I just think his understanding of proof and scientific testing is flawed. Not sure the same can be said for some of these ridiculous priced audio cable companies though, and it does make me question their intentions. (C'mon Audioquest... just stop!)

I've definitely wanted to listen to some of his designs over the years, but haven't had the chance to hear any. I especially always liked the GR-Research servo subs, and see that they're used in some of the Rythmik designs as well.

May I ask which speakers of his you've liked best? And are they kits, or speakers that are still available on his site?

Top Bottom