• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Genelec 8341a speakers too revealing?? Any other recording studio mishaps that made it through to commercial release?

DSJR

Major Contributor
The squeaky kick drum pedal on Since I've Been Lovin You is a standout for me.

I no longer appear to have the original plumb coloured label vinyl issue (silly twit, it's worth something now to collectors), but I only ever noticed the squeaky pedal on the CD issues. I can't even notice that now last I played it :D (ears being tested in the next ten days and I'm effin' dreading it!).

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
No, you can hear it at the first kick drum hit around 0:05 and then afterwards.
Is it the kind of “shhr“ aften each drum heavy beat, like som paper or distant dry peas rattling lik some tape noise, I thought that was som kind microphone or tape saturation. Or the snares on a snare drum exited. English is not my native language so I my hav misunderstood “ squeak“ which to me is like a fork on a dry plate or some unlucky chalk on a black board.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Is it the kind of “shhr“ aften each drum heavy beat, like som paper or distant dry peas rattling lik some tape noise, I thought that was som kind microphone or tape saturation. Or the snares on a snare drum exited. English is not my native language so I my hav misunderstood “ squeak“ which to me is like a fork on a dry plate or some unlucky chalk on a black board.
No, it's like the sound of an axle or hinge in need of lubrication.

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
This is discussion is like talking about photo editing before and after Photoshop. Before, all kinds of mistakes were left in pictures. Sure, there was some rudimentary (analog) fixing of mistakes, but after Photoshop, almost every photo is absolutely perfect.

Similar happened with music. With DAW, most of these kind mistakes can and are fixed. Of course, sometimes there are exceptions.

When CD's were coming out, many orchestra recordings had creaking chairs in the quiet/silent parts, which weren't so obvious in LP versions. Since then, it's been a while since I've heard creaking chairs in classical recordings.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This is discussion is like talking about photo editing before and after Photoshop. Before, all kinds of mistakes were left in pictures. Sure, there was some rudimentary (analog) fixing of mistakes, but after Photoshop, almost every photo is absolutely perfect.

Similar happened with music. With DAW, most of these kind mistakes can and are fixed. Of course, sometimes there are exceptions.

When CD's were coming out, many orchestra recordings had creaking chairs in the quiet/silent parts, which weren't so obvious in LP versions. Since then, it's been a while since I've heard creaking chairs in classical recordings.
So you're saying digital is more revealing than analog?;)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s interesting about the 8341s is that unlike every other speaker I’ve had before and which I would listen intently to (Audiofool equipment fetish style) is that the Genelecs don’t require concentration.

I could be distracted by the phone doing something on it and suddenly I hear something without even listening to them intently. Then the phone goes down and I just listen. No concentration needed.

ferrellms

And this is exactly what often happens when people buy new stuff. They tend to listen more closely and then suddenly hear some new detail and attribute this to the new gear, while in reality it’s just your brain paying extra attention. It’s a selffulfilling prophecy really, and an excellent marketing tool.
Well, it is not just your brain paying more attention (that may be a minor aspect) but the lower coloration of the better system that reveals this stuff. This is what audiophilia is all about!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What’s interesting about the 8341s is that unlike every other speaker I’ve had before and which I would listen intently to (Audiofool equipment fetish style) is that the Genelecs don’t require concentration.

I could be distracted by the phone doing something on it and suddenly I hear something without even listening to them intently. Then the phone goes down and I just listen. No concentration needed.
When the new gear excitement wears off after a few weeks and you still hear new things , it's not just your brain

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it is not just your brain paying more attention (that may be a minor aspect) but the lower coloration of the better system that reveals this stuff. This is what audiophilia is all about!
Oh yeah just turn off calibration in GLM and listen. The muddy flabby bass covers up so much detail. Of course it doesn’t hit as hard when calibrated and I can imagine some people may not like that. They may prefer the flabby hard hitting uncalibrated bass.

I am not a fan of it and would often cut bass and live without. I think a lot of highly reviewed systems so this same trick. When you see someone raving about some tiny $8000 bookshelf speaker this is probably how it works.

With this I have such tight deep bass that now I can’t live without it. It really does snap the image together. I can’t describe it words. When I turn off the bass management in GLM it still sounds very good but when you turn it back on everything just comes into place. You are instantly transported to the venue or recording studio. Everything sounds real and the bass doesn’t color or mask anything.

gino1961

I remember noting Recording Studio errors on other recordings including hearing a faint background phone ringing on a Hilary Hahn Violin Concerto CD that I only detected after listening on my headphones.
hi i think that this is a very telling experience
the more you hear the more transparent are the speakers with everything else unchanged
i would use that track as a test
the more evident the phone ringing for a same SPL the better the system
very helpful tool indeed
i understand that the technicians who take care of sound systems installations use a selection of tracks to check their works

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
You don't listen to classical,it's obvious.
If you did no out-of-music sound would stand out for you,it's kind of a norm in old recordings (masterpieces nevertheless) .

dasdoing

Major Contributor
for over 30 years now I am wondering what happened here:

Sounds like the mic fell. why the hell did they leave it in? lol

the other day I stubled on the "bathroom stomp board" listed in the credits and I guess that it is it. here at 4:03 for example

now at the before linked 4:13 hit something happened to it lol. Maybe it broke?
I still don't get how they left it in, and I also don't get why so few people seam to talk about it

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I guess most people are like me, going "it's a glitch *shrug*" and moving on. I distinctly remember hearing this noise before. Guess it would take someone who was there at the time to tell what happened. (That sort of interview might be a case for the Professor of Rock.) For the time being, "Maybe it broke?" is as good a theory as any.

gino1961

You don't listen to classical,it's obvious.
If you did no out-of-music sound would stand out for you,it's kind of a norm in old recordings (masterpieces nevertheless) .
Hi are you referring to me? Yes you are right I don't listen much to classical music
I watch some concerts on DVD like this one for instance

gino1961

the other day I stubled on the "bathroom stomp board" listed in the credits and I guess that it is it. here at 4:03 for example

now at the before linked 4:13 hit something happened to it lol. Maybe it broke?
I still don't get how they left it in, and I also don't get why so few people seam to talk about it
Hi there is an interesting comment i read in a review about playback system resolution
It seems that only headphones can reveal some small sonic details
Steve and I were getting a hyper-detailed picture of what was going on in the chapel—which is exactly the point of a monitor system. We found it distressingly easy to hear Albuquerque's street sounds, buses, motorcycles, and air traffic. But that allowed us to stop the take and resume when we were confident that things were silent. Confident—that certainly is the right word.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
It seems that only headphones can reveal some small sonic details

depends on the room and EQ. speakers can have as much clarity as headphones.

but the "glitch" I showed is hard to hear? I can hear it on my phone speaker. I heard it as kid on my Wattson ghetto blaster

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the scourge of quality reproduction. Recording studios are run by people, and they make small mistakes sometimes.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Being able to hear small detailed sounds you barely noticed before clearly may be a sign of a more revealing system but it can also be wonky FR with a peak at a frequency that artifically highlights that sound.
When in doubt, I resort to the headphones.

Top Bottom