• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New FiiO Q5S

LaLaLard

Opted not to also send the Q5 as frankly that would be redundant and I am sure most people are interested in the Q5s anyway. Not to mention, if the packet got lost I would lose both devices. Apparently the parcel arrived about 3 days ago according to the tracking so depending on Amir's schedule we might see some results soon enough. I'm patient though as I suspect he has several pieces of gear to test ahead of the Q5s.
I could definetely hear there's difference in line out of my Q5 compared to my RME ADI-2. I can't say if it's simply due to level difference (although I tried my best to match their output by microphone) but I can tell the difference. I suspect the maximum output of Q5's line out is somewhere between 1Vrms - 2Vrms, I can't say exactly cuz I don't have analyzer, but very likely less than 2.
In terms of whether to test Q5 I think you are right. I haven't heard Q5s but it is no where close to a big upgrade compared to Q5 so I don't think the line level has changed whatsoever. So if Q5s's line out isn't even that ideal (which is likely the case) why bother testing Q5.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
I'm interested to see the review of this, but micro USB is a complete deal breaker for me. I've vowed to only buy USB-C devices as I no longer want to have different cables and chargers around.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I'm interested to see the review of this, but micro USB is a complete deal breaker for me. I've vowed to only buy USB-C devices as I no longer want to have different cables and chargers around.
I find USB C feels flimsy and I do wonder about longevity. Frankly I find micro USB feels more secure, but I cannot say that this is based on anything other than handling the various cables, not on data from mechanical analysis of design.

LaLaLard

I find USB C feels flimsy and I do wonder about longevity. Frankly I find micro USB feels more secure, but I cannot say that this is based on anything other than handling the various cables, not on data from mechanical analysis of design.
it shouldn't as USB-C's mechanical design was done partly aiming to solve the durability issue Micro USB had. USB-C's strength should be better than Mini-USB, which I've never had one broken.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
it shouldn't as USB-C's mechanical design was done partly aiming to solve the durability issue Micro USB had. USB-C's strength should be better than Mini-USB, which I've never had one broken.
You have never had micro USB break? Nor have I and I still don't feel that USB C connectors are anymore robust. Certainly not by feel, but I acknowledge that isn't an objective measure.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
In addition to durability issues, USB-C is more future-proof and convenient than micro USB; it's reversible and I use the same charger/cable for my phone and laptop, unless I use wireless charging. I won't buy a new device which requires me to go backwards and have a different cable to charge it. I don't know why a manufacturer would release a high-end-ish device with micro USB any more.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
since the introduction of usb c i already had to replace 2 cables, loose connections (hard drives) , never had to replace a ubs micro cables.

LaLaLard

You have never had micro USB break? Nor have I and I still don't feel that USB C connectors are anymore robust. Certainly not by feel, but I acknowledge that isn't an objective measure.
I've had 10+ Micro USB broken, not 1 Mini USB broken. Thats what I wrote above.

Sinquito

USB type C is way more convenient than Micro USB, that is certain. That's another reason why I like the BTR5 more. I've using the same USB C charging cable since 2017 on my S8 then S10 and now S20 without any issue.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I personally do not care about needing a few different cables. I would care if it were hard to obtain them, but mcro USB has always worked well enough for me. I do use USB C when available of course, but I can't say that I have a preference. I am glad that USB C seems so well liked.

Top Bottom