• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Explainer About Bass Room Acoustics

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
BASS ROOM MODES, which we just have to manage to live with, is the subject.

Over the years, there have been tons of 'arm waving' attempts to show how and why room modes affect music playback. Just recently, Kyle of Audio University uploaded this on his YT channel. I believe he comes closer to explaining the subject, simply and clearly, to most audiences.

Watch it to see if you agree:

mixsit

Forum Donor
I saw that recently and yes he does a nice job of it.
I was caught -in a nice way with your tag line "ROOM MODES, which we just have to manage to live with, is the subject."
I don't recall if he characterized the issue like that in the video, but I like it! It plays directly to the huge amount of sq and cubic feet of treatment needed to actually tame the low end.
And, when that reality sank in, yeah like many I suppose the manage to live with' part got easier. :>)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a good theoretical explanation of room modes. Practical aspects would include the fact that acoustic dimensions of the room are not the same as physical dimensions. That cancellations are never perfect (so EQ can help some). And coverage of filtering to bring down the peaks and level shifts to sort of deal with nulls. Mathematically also springs and waves don't work the same but are good enough for this type of explanation.

Top Bottom