• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Dirac MIMO active room correction

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have just finished watching a youtube presentation from Audioholics talking about a new active correction solution they will release next year. Not a new concept (MIMO) but new in terms of an implementation we can access for our living room.

Pretty cool stuff :cool:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Potentially you could get the same result as a current setup, but without multiple subwoofers, by replacing the surround speakers with full range towers...

And with better performance... not so much lower frequency capabilities, but pretty much everything else...

For true subwoofer frequencies (below 25Hz) - it will still require subs - but they will be less stressed, and will run with lower distortion

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Marketing is about overpromising and underdelivering. Just like MultEQ X last year, some of you curve wizards, will dissect the system and offer us a great overview.

I wonder, however, what kind of processing power you'd need for it to run. There is not much point if the devices capable of running it do not even exist.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
There have been rumours the last year, about Dirac working with Onkyo to release something new on the long awaited Onkyo Flagship models...

Meanwhile D&M seem to have stolen Onkyo's thunder, with some confirmation that Dirac are testing new software on the flagship Denon AVR A1H.

Out at Audioholics, there are comments being made of a review being prepared for publication come November - if the review is to be published in November, one assumes that the kit must be in the reviewers home, being listened to and fiddled with right now.

This has all the buzz of something in the final stages before launch.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Marketing is about overpromising and underdelivering. Just like MultEQ X last year, some of you curve wizards, will dissect the system and offer us a great overview.

I wonder, however, what kind of processing power you'd need for it to run. There is not much point if the devices capable of running it do not even exist.
Apparently ADSP-21593. (not clear whether it can run on both the 800MHz or only the 1000MHz version)

ppataki

Major Contributor
They have been talking about this 2015, so i will preserve whatever enthusiasm i have by not getting excited about this.
Fully agree, I just wanted to comment exactly the same

Actually what we see in that video is called Dirac Unison (see their presentation attached) and it has been there for quite some time in the Volvo XC90....
Dirac have been making promises to make this available for home audio for many years now.....

Attachments

• Dirac+Room+Correction+(Audio+Engineering+Society,+AES+Sweden+lecture)_compressed.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 119

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Apparently ADSP-21593. (not clear whether it can run on both the 800MHz or only the 1000MHz version)
Any idea what devices use it or is it simply a super common DSP?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have listened to Mathew Pose a couple times and I have questions some of you may answer.

So esentially, this new Dirac algorithm works as ablative plates in a tank. That's why speakers capable of a lot of of output may benefit more from this kind of room correction. Question is, what kind of speakers would be most beneficial?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Any idea what devices use it or is it simply a super common DSP?
It's the top of the line DSP from Analogue Devices...

It is used in all of the Dirac capable devices from Denon & Marantz

I don't know how widespread it is elsewhere.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I have listened to Mathew Pose a couple times and I have questions some of you may answer.

So esentially, this new Dirac algorithm works as ablative plates in a tank. That's why speakers capable of a lot of of output may benefit more from this kind of room correction. Question is, what kind of speakers would be most beneficial?
I'm not sure that is the case... if you can provide a 10db reduction in some of the interference, it will be very noticeable.

And you have multiple speakers working together.

I look forward to learning more about it!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Dirac have announced their presence at January's CES...

And state that the "next generation of Dirac Live" will be on demo...

What that means is anyone's guess - I am hoping for SRC.

Harryharryharry

Seems this is going live with some very expensive stormaudio avrs from spring this year

I wonder if the feature is used independently of room correction and bass control?

E.g. do you use room correction first then active room treatment after or is it all done in one hit?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems this is going live with some very expensive stormaudio avrs from spring this year

I wonder if the feature is used independently of room correction and bass control?

E.g. do you use room correction first then active room treatment after or is it all done in one hit?

This is all encompassing, no need for bass management.

Ata

Forum Donor
Maybe @Flak could comment more on this :)
When will this be available on a PC/Mac?
Cheers

This, the million dollar question for those who do not have, or plan to have uber-expensive AVRs but have plenty of compute power on tap.

Now, imagine if this were available/exportable as plain old 65K tap convolution per channel filter... :po_O;)

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
It has finally been announced - Three cheers!

Now we need to find out what other platforms will support it...

What about JBL, NAD, Onkyo and other Dirac platforms?

The flagship Onkyo models were due out a year ago ( as was Dirac ART) - perhaps that was what the delay was about?

Ata

Forum Donor
IMHO any HW platform that supports DIRAC (at however many taps per channel) should be capable of running DIRAC MIMO. The smarts is in the measurements and the filter calculations.

It is a different question as to how DIRAC will decide to monetise this new technology and the amount of market segmentation they choose to do. Of course, depending on licensing fees and conditions some manufacturers may bark at licensing, or make that "user upgradeable" (aka extra cost) feature.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wont we need fullrange surrounds to make this work?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
IMHO any HW platform that supports DIRAC (at however many taps per channel) should be capable of running DIRAC MIMO. The smarts is in the measurements and the filter calculations.

It is a different question as to how DIRAC will decide to monetise this new technology and the amount of market segmentation they choose to do. Of course, depending on licensing fees and conditions some manufacturers may bark at licensing, or make that "user upgradeable" (aka extra cost) feature.
The Storm processors, currently the only ones capable of the new functions, have more processors than most mainstream AVR's - 4 vs 2.

Given what Dirac are trying to do with this new capability, I would expect it to be processor intensive, and I would not find it surprising if current/past processors/AVR's weren't up to it. Sure marketing will come into it, but this is an order of magnitude shift in the amount of processing needed, even if you allow an increase in lag... at some point, you never catch up, you just fall further and further behind (unless you drop frames/data to catch up).

Most of the AVR's are based on a single SOC chipset from analog devices SHARC family - these max out at dual processor - and are the norm - with devices from Onkyo, Denon and others supporting Dirac Live, Audyssey, and various other functions without any trouble.

The StormAudio ISP runs quad SHARC processors - so at least two dual CPU analog devices SOC's - they also use ARM processors for the control systems (Analog Devices also have combo chipsets with embedded ARM processor in addition to 2xSHARC processors - https://www.analog.com/en/products/adsp-sc592.html#product-overview - although last I heard these were in pre-release... hard to tell precisely what chipsets StormAudio are using)

At an indicative minimum - these StormAudio processors have double the processing power of most current Dirac capable devices - perhaps there is a good reason for this, and we are seeing it now.

Top Bottom