• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Denon streamer/DAC DNP-2000NE

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

ThatGuyYouKnow

My thoughts? It is overpriced. I see that Denon's famed AL processing is now at the "Ultra 32" phase, which magically "restores information that was lost during digital recording." Not even the legendary Jeff Talmadge would have made that claim.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1599€/$. Made in Japan. Build seems solid outside and inside:
dnp-2000ne_internal__large_full~2.jpg

Thoughts on this?
That I could ask one for testing... ;)

It uses Airplay like the AudioLab 6000. No thanks.
As virtually any streamer nowadays... What of it?

Last edited:
OP
J

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My thoughts? It is overpriced. I see that Denon's famed AL processing is now at the "Ultra 32" phase, which magically "restores information that was lost during digital recording." Not even the legendary Jeff Talmadge would have made that claim.
1683335542094.png

reidcc

Hi- new guy here!
I've always been a Yamaha guy, but do have a couple of Denon SACD players.
A couple of years ago- I put an office system together and for the first time in my 65 years- was going to try a Network Streamer. Since Yamaha had nothing component sized- I picked up a Denon DNP-800NE. To me- 600 bux wasn't chump change, but I suppose looking at prices of other units I could stomach the 600.

It was a game changer for me- as I streamed many high rez titles from my home pc, and got to enjoy Internet radio. It sounded ok, when it worked. So now they are coming out with a re-badged "upper level" series for a grand more? I certainly do not see $1000 worth of upgrades over the DNP-800. I see a Quad Dac, and some newer inputs and outputs. How are the actual electronics inside the unit?

It may be time for a new unit for me- but may go with Cambridge Audio. My DNP-800 has been sent "back home" twice, and now looking for a third trip...when 6 months old- the Network Module died and it just kept searching and not finding anything. It was back for 2 weeks, and it died again- same way. This was last summer, and the second time- they "reloaded firmware".

When playing 192K 24 bit music- I notice that it has a tendency to stutter near the end of titles- especially noticeable on classical music. I've been wanting to call for an RMA. Just yesterday- I got notification of new Firmware and it updated itself. Fired it up, and then of course the HEOS app now needed update. Started playing, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven as there was no more skipping. Unit played for 2 or 3 more hours, then it died again, and can no longer find any Internet Radio, Music Servers, or USB. The HEOS App can no longer see the unit.

Sour grapes? Sure... but tired of playing the game with this one- and Cambridge Audio has released some new units. I can't see spending any further $$ on a Denon.

Chris

MrSoul4470

I had the DNP 800 for several years and never had major problems with it. But I never used it with HEOS. Tried HEOS once or twice. It's really horribly crappy software and that is also the consensus you find on the internet. The DNP 800 is a good network player though.

Ted G

in my case I stream from a usb stick from a raspberry pie w/DAC ‘hat’ and Volumio software. Listening to it now. Sounds great to me for ~$200. It was fairly easy to put together.
IMG_0223.jpeg

raindance

Major Contributor
Hi- new guy here!
I've always been a Yamaha guy, but do have a couple of Denon SACD players.
A couple of years ago- I put an office system together and for the first time in my 65 years- was going to try a Network Streamer. Since Yamaha had nothing component sized- I picked up a Denon DNP-800NE. To me- 600 bux wasn't chump change, but I suppose looking at prices of other units I could stomach the 600.

It was a game changer for me- as I streamed many high rez titles from my home pc, and got to enjoy Internet radio. It sounded ok, when it worked. So now they are coming out with a re-badged "upper level" series for a grand more? I certainly do not see $1000 worth of upgrades over the DNP-800. I see a Quad Dac, and some newer inputs and outputs. How are the actual electronics inside the unit?

It may be time for a new unit for me- but may go with Cambridge Audio. My DNP-800 has been sent "back home" twice, and now looking for a third trip...when 6 months old- the Network Module died and it just kept searching and not finding anything. It was back for 2 weeks, and it died again- same way. This was last summer, and the second time- they "reloaded firmware".

When playing 192K 24 bit music- I notice that it has a tendency to stutter near the end of titles- especially noticeable on classical music. I've been wanting to call for an RMA. Just yesterday- I got notification of new Firmware and it updated itself. Fired it up, and then of course the HEOS app now needed update. Started playing, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven as there was no more skipping. Unit played for 2 or 3 more hours, then it died again, and can no longer find any Internet Radio, Music Servers, or USB. The HEOS App can no longer see the unit.

Sour grapes? Sure... but tired of playing the game with this one- and Cambridge Audio has released some new units. I can't see spending any further $$ on a Denon.

Chris
My one used to need a factory reset every few months because it just stopped recognizing the wireless network. My main reason for getting rid of it was HEOS, which is utter garbage.

reidcc

It looks like a great all in one unit for someone who wanted component sized pieces along side their regular components. That is one of the reasons I bought my DNP-800NE. I just do not see $1000 in upgrades over the DNP-800NE to buy the 2000. If I understand Marketing well enough, I can understand Denon positioning a Streamer at their next level components, which is the 1600/1700 series of Amps and Disc players. At 1600 for this Network Streamer its overpriced.

Oh, and my DNP800-NE quitting again? It seems there is a "double secret probation" way to reload BIOS without having to send the unit back home. I needed to un plug the unit from power strip and move it to where I could press a sequence of buttons and plug in at the same time. I did that, and it reloaded an old version of Firmware in about 5 minutes. I unplugged to put back in its spot, and it needed to be upgraded to the newest Firmware, which I did. It then played for a couple of hours before quitting again. Repeat the last few steps 3 times, and its back running again. Not sure why it keeps doing this. I know thats what a warranty is for, but trying to talk with someone at Denon to understand is useless, plus it will cost me another $50 to send it out.

Top Bottom