• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new dac

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Well. I just received the amp and it does not work with my topping dx3 pro. I inserted the rca cable (out) from th Topping into the jds (in). Pure silence. I inserted the cable rca in a nuforce icon dac (out) and in the jds (in). This worked. What can I do?

Thanks,

davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

I tested the jds atom lab with a chinch cable, connecting the out for the headphone of the dac with the in rear the amp, but it is not the same as using rca cable. I tested any possibility using the remote control of the dac. Nothing. Help, please!

Thanks,

davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Please give me your pardon. I tried correctly and it worked. It is very fine. Perhaps, only a little flat. But is great in any case.

Thanks,

davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

There is only a sort of disturb when the contrabasses play low. This happen only with these instruments, when trombones or horns play low there is no distortion. I listened to some excerpts of Wagner's Walküre conducted by Herbert von Karajan with the Berliner in the 1967 ca.

Thanks and best,

Davide

tuga

Major Contributor
The longer, explainatory answer is: all dacs in the upper 2 categories (blue and green iirc) are so good, that you can't identify them in a blind test. The thing is, if you don't do it blind, you will perceive differences, mainly because you listen more intensily for details or your brain is impressed by the price or build quality.

That is one radical belief. What are your views on Santa?

bok

Even in the top tier (blue) there are DACs that have serious design flaws. E.g. Topping D90 (original) uses a not-so-low noise regulator (ADP7112) for Vref which results in high close-in phase noise. This can be seen as wide noise skirts around the fundamental. The high close-in phase noise is not seen in AP measurements. The jury is still out about the audibility of close-in phase noise but anyhow with high Vref noise any benefits of low close-in phase noise clocks (such as Accusilicons used in D90) go to waste.

tuga

Major Contributor
Radical? In a "They hated them because he told the truth" sense? Because it's hardly strange, what he's saying.

It's not unsual, nor is it correct.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
It's not unsual, nor is it correct.
I'm only sharing my experience the best I can. I'm open to your view. So please share if you think you could add something that contributes to the OP's question. I would be very surprised though if you could tell apart different dacs in the green and blue categories.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
Your comments are unhelpful to the OP’s question. Not sure what point you are trying to make, but it should be in another thread for instance.

Telling the OP that all DACs in tier 2 top tiers sound the same is helpful? Or that 115 db SINAD = transparency?

MAB

Major Contributor
Telling the OP that all DACs in tier 2 top tiers sound the same is helpful? Or that 115 db SINAD = transparency?
It is, specially when they ask for advice and the most glaring deficiency is a nice dac with underpowered headphone amp. Your perfect is the enemy of the good. And your sinad vs human hearing argument really does belong in a much different thread.

tuga

Major Contributor
It is, specially when they ask for advice and the most glaring deficiency is a nice dac with underpowered headphone amp.

Why not propose specific DACs with competent headphone amps then? Unless all DACs in tiers 1 and 2 will sound the same through their heaphone out...
Note that I didn't comment on your post.

MAB

Major Contributor
Why not propose specific DACs with competent headphone amps then? Unless all DACs in tiers 1 and 2 will sound the same through their heaphone out...
Agreed, I have an RME dac that fits your description. Do you have a recommendation for OP?

tuga

Major Contributor
Agreed, I have an RME dac that fits your description. Do you have a recommendation for OP?
I have an RME too.

If the OP bought his DAC new then buying a headphone amp might be better VFM.

Top Bottom