• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new dac

davidebond

Hi. I own a Topping dx3 pro. Is it meaningful purchasing a Topping dx3+ pro? Have you a budget alternative (a dac with a diverse sound)?

Thanks and best,

davide

P.S. I read your detailled dac chart, but I don't know the sound of everyone.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
The short answer to your question is: no, there is no benefit.

The longer, explainatory answer is: all dacs in the upper 2 categories (blue and green iirc) are so good, that you can't identify them in a blind test. The thing is, if you don't do it blind, you will perceive differences, mainly because you listen more intensily for details or your brain is impressed by the price or build quality.

If you truly aim for transparency than 115 db sinad should probably be your goal. In your case, your dac is fine as it is 117db, and I would recommend you to spend money on better headphones or speakers to get a real upgrade. Alternatively you could eq your headphones or speakers, which also makes a noticable upgrade.

Btw: transparent means audibly transparent. It imposes no sound of its own. You only hear the source material.

Last edited:
OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks for your reply. I use a Sennheiser HD 540. A non usual headphone. I accept suggestion for an alternative. I prefer an open headset. I don't like the in ear headphones (I have a couple of them, all Sennheiser). I have a sense of claustrophobia. I dislike the Bluetooth because, according to my opinion are not so precise as the wired ones, since a loss of information is always possible. I watched to the Beyerdinamics, but I don't know them.

Of course, I am not able to pay 500 or 1000 $ to purchase a headset. Otherwise, there is no problem.

Thanks and best,

Davide

P.S. I like my Topping dx3 pro. I listen to (only classical) music with headphones. They are more accurate than the speakers.

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks for your reply. I use a Sennheiser HD 540. A non usual headphone. I accept suggestion for an alternative. I prefer an open headset. I don't like the in ear headphones (I have a couple of them, all Sennheiser). I have a sense of claustrophobia. I dislike the Bluetooth because, according to my opinion are not so precise as the wired ones, since a loss of information is always possible. I watched to the Beyerdinamics, but I don't know them.

Of course, I am not able to pay 500 or 1000 $ to purchase a headset. Otherwise, there is no problem.

Thanks and best,

Davide

P.S. I like my Topping dx3 pro. I listen to (only classical) music with headphones. They are more accurate than the speakers.
Like @Marc v E said, both are awesome performing DAC and you will not be able to tell the difference between the DAC sections of these units. I think the most meaningful difference between the DX3 Pro and the DX3 Pro+ is the headphone amplifier.
The Pro+ puts out 257mW into 300 Ohm. The older Pro puts out 123mW into the same load. The DX3 Pro+ has twice the power, that my be useful depending on how sensitive your phones are and how loud you like. Here are the data from the two reviews:
index.php

index.php

If you needed more power, it might actually be best to get a more powerful headphone amp and keep your older DX3. Many stand-alone headphone amps can do over 1 Watt into a 300 Ohm load and can drive any headphone on the market. The older DX3 will struggle with some of the more difficult phones to drive. I don't know anything about your headphones except I read they are 600 Ohm... I believe they are reasonably easy to drive but I am guessing based on other Sennheiser's! Indeed they seem unusual!

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks for your kind reply. I thought just to the more amplification of the dx3+. Can you suggest me an amplifier that matches good with the dx3 pro? I found by audiophonics only a refurbished amplifier.

Thanks,

Davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

What about the coupling the Topping dx3 pro with the Topping pa3s? Could be it of aid?

Thanks,

davide

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks for your kind reply. I thought just to the more amplification of the dx3+. Can you suggest me an amplifier that matches good with the dx3 pro? I found by audiophonics only a refurbished amplifier.

Yes, the only thing with your DX3 is it has slightly underpowered headphone amp. Clean, but a bit weak for some headphones and listening volumes!

A popular headphone amp is the JDS Atom. It is inexpensive, well regarded, and has about twice the power as your DX3 Pro, and about the same power as the DX3Pro+.

Other options that are more expensive:
Massdrop THX 789 (I hate the name, I own one, I don't think there is any headphone it can't drive)
Monoprice THX 889 ( I hate the name even more!)
Topping A30 Pro

What about the coupling the Topping dx3 pro with the Topping pa3s? Could be it of aid?
The PA3 is a speaker amp. It will work with a DAC, but it is for powering speakers and doesn't drive a headphone. For driving speakers it is OK, but barely.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I dislike the Bluetooth because, according to my opinion are not so precise as the wired ones, since a loss of information is always possible.
It's "nice" to know when the audio is lossless but you'd probably be surprised how good lossy compression can be in a blind ABX test. (An ABX test is usually not practical with Bluetooth headphones because you' usually be listening to two different headphones which will sound different anyway.)

...An MP3 (lossy) can often sound identical to the uncompressed original in blind listening tests, or you may have to switch back-and-forth quickly and listen very carefully to hear a difference. Dolby on DVDs is also lossy compression and some of the best sounding music I have (IMO) is Dolby surround on concert DVDs. Some DVDs have a lossless stereo option but I always choose the surround and I don't notice any quality issues. (Most bad sound quality on DVDs is from old movies where the original quality wasn't that good.) ...Blu-Ray can have lossless surround.

I watched to the Beyerdinamics, but I don't know them.
If possible, it's helpful to go to an audio/video store to listen for yourself. Opinions & preferences vary a lot! Even you don't buy from the store, or buy what they have to offer, it can be good to get an idea of what different headphones sound like. A long time ago I was thinking about upgrading my headphones but after going to the store I decided I liked what I already had better.

With headphones, there is almost no correlation between sound quality can price. You can sort the ASR headphone reviews by price or "recommended" and you'll see how random it is. The AKG K371 is highly rated for sound quality at about $150 USD. But it's closed-back and it seems to have a reputation of being "fragile". (I haven't broken mine but I don't listen to headphones that much.)

The main difference in sound quality and sound character is frequency response and frequency response can be tweaked with equalization, so try some EQ before buying new headphones. If your source is a computer, software EQ is normally free!

The ASR headphones reviews all have recommended EQ settings or you can adjust to your own preference.

...There are limits with EQ and if you boost the bass too much you might push the headphone or amplifier into distortion. Otherwise distortion from the headphones is rarely a problem. Amplifier distortion can be an issue from the headphone amp if you have to overdrive it to get the loudness you want.

With Bluetooth headphones you might some noise (hiss). Passive headphones (no active electronics inside) don't generate noise, so any hiss & hum comes from the amplifier.

So with passive headphones frequency response and distortion are the ONLY sound-quality considerations. Beware of headphone reviews where they use nonsense terminology to describe the sound! See Audiophoolery.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Dear dvddoug, what could I say? All you wrote is correct. Unfortunately I live in a 200 hinabitants town. In the nearest cities there are no musical shops. But you have right. Any word is correct.

To Mab I must say that I didn't find the jds lab amp. I found a couple of jds amps, but at more than 300 $. Can you suggest me a shop? I asked about the topping dx3 pro+ just for its more amplification.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions and comments. Surely, a headset must be personally tested, but when you cannot, what you do?

Many many thanks,

Davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Ok. I bought by jds lab the dac on issue (with 50 $ of expedition fees). I purchased it at 170 $. In a sense, it was less expensive purchasing a new topping dac.... :) By the way, how can I connect to the topping dac? Only with RCA cables?

Thanks,

Davide

MAB

Major Contributor
Maybe cut and paste the link to the review or product. I don't see the exact name... Make it easy for me please!

MAB

Major Contributor
OP
davidebond

davidebond

You has right. Unfortunately I payed a lot for the topping dx3 pro by audiophonics, while by Amazon is now very cheap. But I trusted more in audiophonics...

Thanks for all,

Davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

For example, for only 130 $, I can buy by Amazon a topping L30 II. But I cannot pile amp on amp. It is more interesting purchasing new CDs. The hardware is important, but the priority is the music.

Thanks,

Davide

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
For driving speakers it is OK, but barely.
I have to PA3s. It really depends on how hard you drive your speakers. For most bookshelves, it does just fine. It's a bad idea to max out any amp, be it this one or the Benchmark. :)

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I have to PA3s. It really depends on how hard you drive your speakers. For most bookshelves, it does just fine. It's a bad idea to max out any amp, be it this one or the Benchmark. :)
Yeah, and I think PA3s has low enough noise it would actually be really great with horns too, and get to realistic volume. :)

Top Bottom