• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New DAC volume really low

shaneofnine

Hallo!

I swapped DACs and now I have a problem. It's not specifically Roon related, but it's affecting my Roon experience.

I had an SMSL D0200 DAC hooked up to a Windows PC via USB. That DAC was connected to an SMSL SA300 amp. The amp volume was set to 50 and I used the DAC to control volume. I used it between 25-55 on the volume. 55 was pretty loud.

So I moved this DAC to my HTPC setup. Again, Windows PC to SMSL D0200 via USB, then from there to a Marantz SR5015 receiver via RCA. I used to have a Topping DX3Pro+ there with no problems.

The issue is that on the HTPC setup I have to turn the SMSL D0200 DAC volume all the way up (99) and then turn up the receiver to about 80/100 to get any real volume. I used to have the receiver set at about 65 to get much louder volume with the DX3Pro+.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

I'd really like to use the SMSL remote for volume control because the Marantz remote is freaking horrible to use.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will take a stab, and others can yell at me.

The output voltage of the source or dac is insufficient. You do nothing to increase it by using a mere DAC; you only get as much voltage out from the DAC as you put in, and even then, the DAC may have low output voltage too.

You'll need a preamp with gain. For example, the Topping DX7 combines a DAC with a preamp which has gain. I had this problem with a Topping D50 when there was nothing else in the chain, but since it was background music, I lived with it.

My understanding is that gain can increase noise when the input voltage is low, but I don't know what you would do otherwise!

I run into gain issues all the time, but the new issue I face is configuring Roon in different systems to select which volume control I wish to use; then I have to sort out where to set the volume control knob on the physical preamp unit. Oy.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It helps immensely to know the DAC's actual output voltage plugged into your HTPC.
You can measure that yourself with a $10 multimeter and a 60Hz, 0dBFS test tone, which you can create using REW.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Both dacs do circa 2v on rca, topping closer to 2.1v, but not enough to cause this much difference.

Barry_Sound

Hallo!

I swapped DACs and now I have a problem. It's not specifically Roon related, but it's affecting my Roon experience.

I had an SMSL D0200 DAC hooked up to a Windows PC via USB. That DAC was connected to an SMSL SA300 amp. The amp volume was set to 50 and I used the DAC to control volume. I used it between 25-55 on the volume. 55 was pretty loud.

So I moved this DAC to my HTPC setup. Again, Windows PC to SMSL D0200 via USB, then from there to a Marantz SR5015 receiver via RCA. I used to have a Topping DX3Pro+ there with no problems.

The issue is that on the HTPC setup I have to turn the SMSL D0200 DAC volume all the way up (99) and then turn up the receiver to about 80/100 to get any real volume. I used to have the receiver set at about 65 to get much louder volume with the DX3Pro+.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

I'd really like to use the SMSL remote for volume control because the Marantz remote is freaking horrible to use.
Is the volume for the USB device turned down in Windows on the HTPC setup? I´m not running Windows but I believe you can set a master volume for every device connected.

By the way, why do you control volume on the DAC? I´d set the DAC to max and control volume through the amp.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Any volume control on the PC?

Also, a number of DACs (I'm thinking of Topping specifically, not SMSL) have selectable output voltages that might impact things.

Are they any level controls applied to the particular RCA input you're using on the Marantz? I take it that Marantz doesn't have any balanced inputs?

OP
shaneofnine

shaneofnine

Is the volume for the USB device turned down in Windows on the HTPC setup? I´m not running Windows but I believe you can set a master volume for every device connected.

By the way, why do you control volume on the DAC? I´d set the DAC to max and control volume through the amp.
Windows is turned up 100%.

I don't like to use the receiver remote - it's nightmarish to use. I hate it. The DAC remote is so so so simple to use.

Top Bottom