• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New DAC comparison chart (we'd love your feedback)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question for Stalker81, aka Audiophool Nuto"Science":

Did the Sandman send you over here? aka Alexis Keitel?? He's the one you need to treat with psychiatric drugs.

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
It has always been like this, the old charts were also rated by percentile score. So I just copied that. The only difference is that in the old charts only the best values were shown, and right now I'm also showing values for other inputs/outputs when available. I agree that everything in blue and green probably sounds exactly the same if its a recommended product (might be other issues if its not).
Glad to see someone implemented this in production, with Amir's blessing.

You can set the color fields to be a quantized set of N (dis)similar colors, which would differ from Amir of course. Or a continuous band. Or remove color entirely, since the value it represents is on the chart already. :) (Said Edward Tufte.)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be great if there were info on listening tests done and posted...

esp. one between a high priced and a low priced DAC

VizardofOz

Glad to see someone implemented this in production, with Amir's blessing.

You can set the color fields to be a quantized set of N (dis)similar colors, which would differ from Amir of course. Or a continuous band. Or remove color entirely, since the value it represents is on the chart already. :) (Said Edward Tufte.)

The Red/Orange/Green colour scheme can be difficult to differentiate for people with colour blindness :)

VizardofOz

Hi both, thanks for making this. It's really very useful and the UI is a great leap forward for members :)

BTW, I'm an Analytics Architect and chair a Tableau User Group so I'm happy to help out with any advice or development issues :)

EDIT- Missed the line in your original post

'Would it be possible to create a scatterplot with the price and SINAD variables on the x/y axis? It would be a quick way to assess 'bang for buck''

There won't be a relationship between price vs. performance but applying a quadrant might help members identify High Performance - Low Cost vs. Low Performance - High Cost etc. insights quickly

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are certainly differences between these DACs as can be seen here. And, you can see that price does not necessarily equate to technical performance - the $130 Topping E30 returns much better test results than some of the very expensive DACs listed.

I would love to see a blind shootout - multiple listeners, multiple DACs A/B'd against each other - to see if we can actually hear these differences. For example, one of those Audio-GD DACs vs. the Benchmark... it seems you SHOULD be able to hear such glaring differences in measurement - but CAN we?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the number of items tested and the very small, unreadable type at the bottom of the chart...

I suggest a change in format from horizontal to vertical layout.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Given the number of items tested and the very small, unreadable type at the bottom of the chart...

I suggest a change in format from horizontal to vertical layout.
Do you mind taking a screenshot of the type you mean?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
well, now I can't get it to display at all

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
My Emotiva DC-1 was measured by @amirm back before the current Sinad ratings.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surement-and-review-of-emotiva-dc-1-dac.2306/
Is there any way to incorporate this data into the newer listings?
TIA,
Sal
It's in here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/ but not in the comparison chart. In almost all cases I haven't used the data generated by Amir's old analyzer to keep the comparisons accurate. A few times I used the output impedance numbers, and headphone power once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom