• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New DAC comparison chart (we'd love your feedback)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
You don't need to embed the Google Sheet. The Google doc can be the source of truth that feeds both the Tableau dashboard and the charts Amir creates for his reviews. Amir can directly link to the Google sheet using Excel's Get & Transform. Afterwards, all he has to do is press refresh within Excel to pull the most recent data from the Google Sheet. I'm happy to walk both of you through this.
You should be able to connect Tableau directly to the Google sheet and specify how often the data refreshes - I figure you have already done this.

If you don't reconcile the data in Google Sheet to Amir's sheet on a regular basis, it is highly likely you have variances between the 2 databases.
The Tableau side we have covered.

We'll have to live with the two sheets until we come up with the ASR Grand Unifying something or other. Given how fast everything is moving (a year ago this was all text-based) this may not be far off.

I spend a lot of time making sure the sheet is accurate on the data side so if you do find numbers or inputs/outputs or other details that are off in the interactive tables/charts I would appreciate a post in the relevant feedback threads or a PM.

NDC

This is a fantastic tool, thank you for creating and maintaining it!

One thing I noticed - the Okto Research DAC8 Stereo is missing from the DAC chart.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
This is a fantastic tool, thank you for creating and maintaining it!

One thing I noticed - the Okto Research DAC8 Stereo is missing from the DAC chart.
Going through an overhall of the data structure right now so the chart's a bit out of date.

NDC

Going through an overhall of the data structure right now so the chart's a bit out of date.

No worries! Makes sense. Looking forward to the update. It’s been a really helpful tool in my purchasing decisions...

blue

Great work! It is very useful and a big time saver.
Not sure if these can be added in the future. I occasionally need to look up these value somewhere else.

Filter
- Supported file format (e.g. MQA, DSD512, PCM 768k,)
- Date/Year of Launch
- Power source (e.g. AC, Micro USB 5V, with rechargeable battery)
- Battery capacity (if applicable)
- Weight
- Dimension
- Inputs (include untested)
- Outputs (include untested)

Column
- Dimension
- will be nice to include those information in filter

Others
- Support Ctrl + F for browser search. It seems tableau tried to use canvas and encrypted data to avoid easy copy, but also cause my favorite Ctrl + F browser search not work

Thanks for your great work again.

Last edited:

blue

@blue I think it's already very complete and I'm grateful they thought doing it.
I guess that both
Koeitje & pozz will tell you "be my guest and Just Do it" ...
I am sure you will agree with me one day if you need those additional filter and information. Moreover, I will be happy to assist if I can have access to the raw table.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
@blue

You're likely aware of the obvious hurdles to implementing these requests into the database: 1) the level of effort for data entry on devices already in the database; 2) the ongoing level of effort for data entry for new devices; 3) the issues with designing a clean UI to handle all of these additional fields given the limitations of the Tableau interface.

But looking at the big picture, please keep in mind that this database -- and the related dashboards -- is not meant to be the world's most complete DAC product catalog. It is meant to be an ASR database that allows members to find measurements + reviews based on some basic criteria. As such it was always meant to provide direction for members (e.g., find a list of DACs with a SINAD above x, within a range of prices) who could then read the relevant ASR reviews to understand other measurements such as jitter or linearity, or read about the experiences of members who own that device to understand if there are reliability / usability issues. Members can then go do their own research for more detailed product criteria.

If we were to make that shift from an ASR measurement + review database to something along the lines of what you're suggesting -- a complete DAC product catalog -- then your list is unfortunately far from complete. In addition to what you've listed there are many more product attributes we'd have to include. For example:
  • Bluetooth support (Y/N)
  • Bluetooth type
  • Color options
  • Display type
  • Display attributes (e.g., does it show file format [Y/N])
  • USB type
  • Power supply (internal vs. external)
  • Current lowest price
  • etc.
And as you can imagine, the only way to do this properly is to do it completely. If the attributes are not 100% filled-in and accurate then those filters are not really usable.

That said we do need to add a search function. (This already exists in the speaker index dashboard.) This is in our backlog for feature development, although it will not be implemented to support CTRL+F.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything measured with Amir's old analyzer isn't added to the measurement database. Sorry. This is to keep the comparisons consistent.

Edit: I wanted to clarify that in very select cases I've included some old figures based on the AP2522: mostly headphone amp output impedance and I think power (once). Amir also briefly demoed the APx525 so there are a couple reviews using it. So that there's not confusion, in the database each measurement is referenced to a note about which analyzer is used as well.
Tremendous amount of work, THANK YOU! As usual, some find other useful things that could be done. Most things are a work in progress as adjustments get made.

Bazz

Why are several DACs missing from the chart? I was looking at the SMSL M400, it is not much use if it is not up to date.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Why are several DACs missing from the chart? I was looking at the SMSL M400, it is not much use if it is not up to date.
We are in the middle of a major overhaul to the back end.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

jeff57

Hi Gentlemen

is it possible to have a column for "musicality" ?

DAC with extraordinary high numbers does not mean it will sound fantastic.
2 DAC's with same SNR may sound different.

I recently found a site where the owner was having multiple criterias like "transparent/presence/music" well I dont remember but you see the idea.
in his conclusion some DACS were "making good sound" while some outstanding DACS were "making good sound AND good music".

Jeff

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Gentlemen

I recently found a site where the owner was having multiple criterias like "transparent/presence/music" well I dont remember but you see the idea.
in his conclusion some DACS were "making good sound" while some outstanding DACS were "making good sound AND good music".

Jeff
So, how would you go about determining that?

Bazz

Hi Gentlemen

Jeff

All DACs sound the same unless they are broken. So there is no point in a column. How would you judge it anyway? as all systems are different.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not if you close your eyes while listening.
Honestly, all DAC's that are producing reasonably good numbers on the bench will sound the same when compared under blind, level matched conditions. People imagine to hear all sort of things.

Bazz

I see the chart has still not been updated, it is 6 months now, how long does it take to add the recent DAC tests to a chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom