• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Dac/Amp combined unit to replace seperates.

Hi all, I currently have a Beresford Caiman Sed TC 7535 Dac with upgraded firmware and a Arcam rHead amp. I'm looking at possibly changing to a combined unit or a matched stack. Budget is approx £800 with £900 being the absolute top limit. I've been looking at the Naim DAC V1, Audiolab M-Dac Plus and RME ADI-2 FS DAC.

I'm favouring the RME at the moment due to size and features. Headphones are currently Hifiman HE400i, Fostex T50RP with home mayflower mod, Beyerdynamics DT770 250ohm and Philips SHP9500 (They're probably going to be demoted to Teams duty on the laptop).

I'm looking at also buying new headphones which will probably be either Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser HD660S or Dan CLark Aeon RT.

The depth of the Naim and Audiolab do concern me slightly as they're both nearly 12" but I could cope with a little rearranging.

Any comments or alterantive options?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Go for the RME, it has nice power. If you do not need the power, go for SMSL M500

+1 on the RME

I use the M500 as a DAC but just dont think much of the HP output.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
it doesnt have much power, but its as transparent as a thx amp.

Yes, I was referring to the somewhat anaemic power output. Harder to drive 'phones with some EQ and preamp reduction could push it over the edge.

OP
D
Thnaks guys. I will need the power as I have a pair of Fostex T50RP's that I will be keeping. I'd been leaning towards the RME anyway but it's nice to have confirmation tha tit's the right choice from those 3. :)

Top Bottom