• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New cutie from SMSL - A50

Zek

Major Contributor
SMSL has announced a new small amp with 2 x TPA3116 chips and bluetooth - looks interesting.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

redDEAD

Just picked one up during the Ali Express Summer Sale. Pairing it it a set of Micca 42X speakers I had laying around for a little bedroom bluetooth system. Excited to see how it performs @ $65 with a remote.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of old Cambridge Soundworks speakers still boxed in the garage; something like this might make me pull them out for the bedroom.

redDEAD

PXL_20230627_034756643.jpg
I'm blown away at how small the amp is. Does exactly what I needed it to do. Clean amp that drives the Miccas easily. I have no complaints and the remote works great about 12 feet away while laying down in bed.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 295192I'm blown away at how small the amp is. Does exactly what I needed it to do. Clean amp that drives the Miccas easily. I have no complaints and the remote works great about 12 feet away while laying down in bed.
What miccas ar the speakers and do you feel you have enough power ?

gasolin75

redDEAD

What miccas ar the speakers and do you feel you have enough power ?
Miccas MB42X, bought them back in June 2014.

They get plenty loud for my bedroom usage at 28/100 volume. 50/100 sounds great is about as loud as I'll go.

After a couple weeks with the amp I'm really happy with it. No complaints, does exactly what I needed to do without getting in the way.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this is what smsl excels at... they can put in displays and remotes no issue

other companies seem to not be able to do these simple things...

jbattman1016

I just placed an order for one to follow up with the under $10 DAC (lol) this is going to power a basic setup. I originally was going to use a powered radio, but realized I have all these extra speakers sitting around, I should use them or get rid. so I'm going to me it possible to use them :)

jbattman1016

Finally unpacked the a50. The speaker terminals when using bare wire isn't the best experience. I would avoid this. Wish the RCA terminals were colored, but this is fine.
Hooked this up to an old Cambridge soundworks ensemble IV 2."1" system I have sitting around. Drives them easily. Playing with the tone controls yielding that the Rock (EQ 3) or Direct (Eq 0) sound best for this setup.

The manual tone controls are not too great.

Tried the bluetooth to verify operation and seems to work just fine, need more testing.
Moved on to watching some TV via the RCA inputs. Sounds as good as this set can sound from my experience with these speakers. Dialog is very clear and no noise from the AMP when the input is selected, but no sound is playing.

I'm not sure how to change inputs without the remote, but I don't know how often I need this. The display is great and easy to read from a distance, making volume adjustments is great.

I have a ten band EQ I might toss into this setup to see if that really brings out the best of the setup, but it seems to do the job. I MAY pick up a better set of speakers as the current ones are just barely above that of a small soundbar from today's standards lol.

redDEAD

How much hiss/noise does this produce?

Can Bluetooth be disabled?
I'm having trouble getting a hiss measurement for you. Ever since I got this amp a family of snakes have taken up residence in the wall by my setup. It's weird, when I turn on the amp they get agitated and make a ton of noise, but once I shut down the amp they seem to relax and stop. Wish I could get a reading for you because I just bought a Hitachi 908 hissometer.

Bluetooth disabled? RTM https://smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/A50Manual.pdf

redDEAD

Noted... o_O

... any oil?

JSmith
Amigo I am the oil king.

I only use the finest crystalline matrix infused pure silver cables. I am not a fool, I know to keep their optimum bass impact and sparkle they must be oiled in a linear uni-directional electron positive and proton negative direction. I do this four times a year during the seasons changes as humidity can effect mid range dynamics.

The SMSL A50 continues to impress me by never getting in the way of me enjoying my music and podcasts. Highly recommended if your looking for a simple amp with remote.

gasolin75

Pop sound on,off ?

gasolin75

... and is there any hiss on the tweeter?
We need a thread about amp/speaker (active) hiss,pop sound turning them on/off like quietest active minitors on gearspace

Last edited:
Top Bottom