• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New cassette player matches high-res audio

Guermantes

Found this via the Steve Hoffman forums. But is it MQA certified?
http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004328156

Update: Well, the article has been re/moved but here are a couple of other pics and an Amazon link. Seems it uses an "up-convert function" that creates harmonics (aural exciter?) . . .

Perhaps you can add this to the TODO list, Amir;)

Aurex TY-AK1.jpg

news_180312_toshiba_04.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/TOSHIBA-Cassette-TY-AK1-N-Domestic-products】/dp/B07BF3KX9N
DTMANAGE.000000020180325125711634-1.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why bother?
Even if they find a way of Cassette recordings being better than they were one is still stuck with a relatively expensive unreliable and complex cassette to deal with. Bonkers.

top443

How much can you even do with the electronics? At some point it becomes all about the tape formula.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Ooo, must have one of those... I surely miss the hiss, dynamic range compression, dropouts, distortion, wow and flutter, unreliable cassettes and players (eating tapes), and all that jazz every bit as much as I miss vinyl... :)

OP
Guermantes

Guermantes

I suspect this is aimed at Japanese "silvers" (65+) who still have large libraries of their favourite enka artists on cassette and CD. As a percentage of the total population this is probably the only demographic which is experiencing growth and is becoming a lucrative target market. This is nostalgia allied with neo-tech, packaged in a product that is frugal with space -- something that the Japanese are masters of.

The paradox is that the benefits of Hi-Res are probably lost on ageing ears but Japanese seniors are surprisingly tech savvy. I can imagine my mother-in-law buying one of these.

Toshiba Japan page: http://tlet.co.jp/pro_radicase/ty_ak1/

Reactions: trl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Guermantes

Guermantes

I think it is showing the extra "upconverter" output added to the standard CD spectrum. The flow chart suggests that the CD, radio and cassette signals are (re)digitised and then sent to the harmonic enhancer which is added to the ouput to bump it all up to hi-res.

Edit: thanks for the infographic, Ray!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The really magical part:

"but also the music heard in the past will be resurrected with the latest sound quality."

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah, so it is not related to tape function.

By the way, I have heard those high-frequency restoration logics. At first they sound nice but after 30 seconds, they sound quite annoying.

There is a better version of it called Spectral Band Replication (SBR) but even that one can be annoying to listen.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool man! I still have a fair stash of TDK and Maxell chrome and metal tapes that are new in the plastic. I think I have some Fuji metal cassettes too. Alright!

Got to have my Dolby C though. B just won't do. That way it'll match my Nakamichi machine.

OP
Guermantes

Guermantes

I still have a fair stash of TDK and Maxell chrome and metal tapes that are new in the plastic. I think I have some Fuji metal cassettes too.

Is that your retirement fund?

Werner

I don't care how high resolution it is, it's not cool if it doesn't have Nakamichi Dragon style tape flipping:

Dragon does not flip the cassette. Dragon is a conventional auto-reverse deck with
a stationary 4-track replay head. (Actually 6-track, but that is for the automatic
azimuth tracking.)

You are referring to the three UDAR decks: 202, 303, 505.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Ah, so it is not related to tape function.

By the way, I have heard those high-frequency restoration logics. At first they sound nice but after 30 seconds, they sound quite annoying.

There is a better version of it called Spectral Band Replication (SBR) but even that one can be annoying to listen.
SBR is usually used in low bitrate (e.g. < 64kbps) lossy codecs like mp3PRO and AAC. It would be funny to see a "Hi-Res" logo on products utilizing this (or similar) technology.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WOW! The Audio world is really fishing for "innovation"What the heck is that? ..

Top Bottom