• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New build of Linkwitz LXMini

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@suttondesign or anyone else who as built or at least researched building LXmini's, do you have any construction recommendations?

I plan to buy plans first and read through them, and was considering the Madisound kit with wood parts. But then I took a look at the magiclx521 kit and realized I want to make mine more like theirs. Screwless fullrange driver mount, capless lower tube mount, screwless upper tube support, hidden cabling, and use of speakON connectors. Much better! But then I started looking at all the inventive ways people make these things and realized I want to go even further in improving aesthetics. I don't like how the rubber coupler looks, and really don't like that it is just glued to the MDF support, which then requires that the woofer just be glued to the MDF without screws.

Does anyone know of alternative methods for mounting the woofer and upper tube to the lower tube? I can't seem to find any products or detailed plans for doing something like this, although I see lots of pictures of finished LXmini's with alternative or at least dressed up mounting methods. I would expect some of these builders to have posted about how they did what they did but I'm having a hard time finding these resources.

The best resource you will find is here:

https://oplug-support.org/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=7abac270a6b2dcd30a419e1f8abaaa4a

Since the plans are sold, folks try to respect the intellectual property so probably why you do not get much detail surfing around. If you see something you really like, suggest emailing directly. :)

OP
S

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought about the same thing, but then I just decided the cost-benefit equation for my first-time build suggested making my mistakes with the cheap stuff. It is quite possible I will, at some point, take some time to build a different, more customized, prettier version. As it stands, I quite like the merely painted version with the rubber coupler. It has a sort of steampunk integrity.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Companion coffee table for Linkwitz speakers...

Sched40 Coffee Table.jpg

TimW

Major Contributor
Does the rubber coupler between the 4" tube and the woofer act as some sort of vibration isolation? Is this really necessary? I saw this idea posited on other forums but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Various builds in the LXmini gallery forego or modify the coupler to be more rigid. The LXsirius also looks to have rigid woofer mounting.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
has anyone made plans to send Amir an LXmini to run on a Klippel?

Not so far. Lots of interest though!

Since it is not a turnkey speaker, will have to be someone local to Amir. :)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so far. Lots of interest though!

Since it is not a turnkey speaker, will have to be someone local to Amir. :)

So the mini DSP is providing room correction and not just baseline EQ/crossover?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the mini DSP is providing room correction and not just baseline EQ/crossover?

No, but it is quite a bit more set up than Amir is used to doing. Do not expect he would do anything involving the minidsp configuration. Pretty sure if it lost its config, would not reflect well in his review. :oops:

magicLX

Audio Company
Free Giveaway: LXmini mitered HDF baseplate set

Dear LXmini builders,

from a previous production run, we got some extra LXmini baseplates, precision mitered from dark anthracite HDF*, as a free giveaway. (as long as stock lasts, just pay for shipping)

The baseplates are to be screwed to LXminis lower tube end caps. Order them at the webshop .

After logging in, you can put the free giveaway in your basket and see shipping cost. (technically, the webshop needs to show a price, 1ct. Of course, you may deduct the technical 1ct amount from your shipping payment)

Enjoy your LXmini!
Best, Frank

*) HDF is a modern high density wooden material, that avoids the downsides of MDF (soaking edges, etc).

HDF in dark anthracite:
It is an extremely robust high density, black coloured wood fibreboard (>1,000 kg/m³).

Its high strength across the complete board cross section facilitates three-dimensional processing without any risk of fraying. It is a natural material made of wood which defibres gently and is manufactured according to ecological principles.

HDF can be used as extremely compact, robust support board. Thanks to its black colouring and the compact product structure, the board can also be used as an attractive surface without additional coating.

HDF is ideally suited for applications requiring ecologically sustainable material due to its environmentally compatible manufacturing.

Jer

@suttondesign or anyone else who as built or at least researched building LXmini's, do you have any construction recommendations?

I plan to buy plans first and read through them, and was considering the Madisound kit with wood parts. But then I took a look at the magiclx521 kit and realized I want to make mine more like theirs. Screwless fullrange driver mount, capless lower tube mount, screwless upper tube support, hidden cabling, and use of speakON connectors. Much better! But then I started looking at all the inventive ways people make these things and realized I want to go even further in improving aesthetics. I don't like how the rubber coupler looks, and really don't like that it is just glued to the MDF support, which then requires that the woofer just be glued to the MDF without screws.

Does anyone know of alternative methods for mounting the woofer and upper tube to the lower tube? I can't seem to find any products or detailed plans for doing something like this, although I see lots of pictures of finished LXmini's with alternative or at least dressed up mounting methods. I would expect some of these builders to have posted about how they did what they did but I'm having a hard time finding these resources.

Yeah I finally figured it out.
Took a while home built.
Sound pretty amazing-
Used active analog crossovers.

OP
S

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The rubber coupler and PVC option works extremely well for a lightweight, light-duty speaker with a very slender profile, and in fact, when used with wood parts for the round base and woofer plate, looks quite nice -- I have a pair like that in my open-plan living area. They are far less visually intrusive than any pair of boxes I ever used. Doing more is gilding the lily, in my opinion.

Reactions: Jer

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The rubber coupler and PVC option works extremely well for a lightweight, light-duty speaker with a very slender profile, and in fact, when used with wood parts for the round base and woofer plate, looks quite nice -- I have a pair like that in my open-plan living area. They are far less visually intrusive than any pair of boxes I ever used. Doing more is gilding the lily, in my opinion.

Out of interest, did you ever get around to building the active analogue crossover. I’m quite tempted to go down this route.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for the fun of it really, buying a preconfigured minidsp from a local vendor feels too easy;)

More seriously I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this. measurements that SL took. The dsp and analogue XOs don’t look dramatically different to my laypersons eye:

https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_lxmini crossover.pdf

really? the Digital crossovers have a decent amount of medium to high Q filters that simply don't exist with the Analog version.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
really? the Digital crossovers have a decent amount of medium to high Q filters that simply don't exist with the Analog version.

Nelson Pass: ‘Initially SL had some concern that we were not completely duplicating the curves of the original, particularly at the top end, where there are high Q peaks and dips. However, he subsequently measured the acoustic response and found that the top end was a bit flatter without those corrections’. Is this what you are referring to in terms of material performance difference?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nelson Pass: ‘Initially SL had some concern that we were not completely duplicating the curves of the original, particularly at the top end, where there are high Q peaks and dips. However, he subsequently measured the acoustic response and found that the top end was a bit flatter without those corrections’. Is this what you are referring to in terms of material performance difference?

yes, however I think SL might have intentionally scrubbed somethings under the rug so he wouldn't embarrass his friend.

1621605851412.png

1621605895154.png

Top Bottom