• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New build of Linkwitz LXMini

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've now built and troubleshooted a pair of these. My travails can be found HERE. I'm temporarily running the MiniDSP 2x4 HD and a 4-channel Adcom amp I picked up on Craigslist. I wanted to use some inexpensive stuff before I turn to measurably better, much more expensive stuff.

Next, I'm planning to build Nelson Pass's ASP from the kit, and if that works out, I'll save up to get some knockout amplification -- possibly the Benchmark, though even at my dealer cost, those things are still pretty dear. But all in good time. Maybe I'll build some Hypex amps from a kit.

So far, the LXMini are superlative. I've got the Dutch & Dutch 8C in the same room. The LXMini image better than any other speaker I have heard, no question, but the 8C have a silky, natural frequency response that can't be beat, plus ungodly dynamic capability in a room of the size of my media room (2200 cu. ft.). The LXMini are pure finesse and soundstaging out the wazoo, which is insanely pleasurable.

jeffbook

I've now built and troubleshooted a pair of these. My travails can be found HERE. I'm temporarily running the MiniDSP 2x4 HD and a 4-channel Adcom amp I picked up on Craigslist. I wanted to use some inexpensive stuff before I turn to measurably better, much more expensive stuff.

Next, I'm planning to build Nelson Pass's ASP from the kit, and if that works out, I'll save up to get some knockout amplification -- possibly the Benchmark, though even at my dealer cost, those things are still pretty dear. But all in good time. Maybe I'll build some Hypex amps from a kit.

So far, the LXMini are superlative. I've got the Dutch & Dutch 8C in the same room. The LXMini image better than any other speaker I have heard, no question, but the 8C have a silky, natural frequency response that can't be beat, plus ungodly dynamic capability in a room of the size of my media room (2200 cu. ft.). The LXMini are pure finesse and soundstaging out the wazoo, which is insanely pleasurable.

Congratulation on your build. Your current setup is one that I started with, using an Adcom GFA-2535 with the miniDSP 2x4. There have been several successful additions of either sealed or dipole woofer subwoofers with the LXmini. Use of one of these subs really improve the overall performance. I used my Linkwitz Orion woofers and they work very well.

Further improvement came when I replace my two Adcom 2535 amps with an 8 channel Nord amp using Ncore modules. However, your room volume would be more compatible with the LX521 than it is with the LXmini. It would be really interesting to be able to compare the performance of your D&D 8C with a full blown LX521 system.

Enjoy what you have with these two fine systems.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Subjectively the step up from LXmini to LX521 was huge. I have not heard the 8C, but the similar kii three are also amazing.

Cant wait for Amir to messure some of these speakees

Burning Sounds

I agree, the imaging on the LXMini is quite exceptional. I'm guessing that is partly due to the fact that it starts out as a omni, becomes cardioid through the crossover region and then becomes a dipole at the top end.

I built mine from a MagicLX kit a few months ago. I had planned to build them from scratch, but found the US Schedule 40 pipe was only available in longth lengths in the UK, so the kit ended up about the same price. Plus the kit is very well machined, the wiring is nicely hidden, it has a nicely implemented Speakon connectors and neatly does away with the screws holding in the upper driver.

I'm currently using my old MiniDSP2x8 board into a Nakamich AVP1 (similar to Emotiva UPA7 but with balanced inputs) 7 channel amp. Used with my LX521 woofers it can play louder and with considerably more weight.

Now you only need to build the LX521 and then you can really compare them to the D&D 8C :D

I've heard the 8C twice and what struck me was the tonal similarity to the LX521. However, the 8C can do something that the LX521 can't - sound good in a small room - the LX521 needs plenty of space. Still, I'd give the soundstage, imaging and bass articulation to the LX521.....but I'd better stop there as my Linkwitz bias is beginning to show! ;)

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
8C. The LXmini need to be away from the wall to sound their best. The 8C are designed with wall coupling in mind.
I have no advice on volume level sonics. I play the system neither very loud nor very soft b/c it is in a dedicated media room.
ps

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
I built a PLUTO many years ago (2006!). It was my set up until about 2016.

They really need to be away from the walls. I think what makes them special is the their strong / natural reflected sound.

kaka89

8C. The LXmini need to be away from the wall to sound their best. The 8C are designed with wall coupling in mind.
I have no advice on volume level sonics. I play the system neither very loud nor very soft b/c it is in a dedicated media room.
ps

I thought the LX are room independent.
I will save up for my 8c then.

jeffbook

They are room independent, but they do need to be placed away from room walls, as do all Linkwitz speakers. These can be DIY built to avoid the LXSirius price hit. Having said that, based on my experience with Linkwitz speakers, a 9 ft. wide room will be problematical.

williamwally

Forum Donor
In my experience, 9ft wide should be fine for the lxmini since they are really best listened to up close. As long as they can an be 2-3 ft off the back wall and maybe 1+ off the sides your fine. My Orion's (full dipole similar to lx521) really need a good 5 ft off the back wall and 3 off the sides to sound best.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Ok, after reading more on this forum its got me wondering - has anyone seen any measurements of the LX521??

dwkdnvr

Question on the LxMini. I already have a pair of the L16RN-SL drivers and a minidsp nano-digi, so all I really need to build the LxMini is the full-range drivers and the crossover info (well, and a trip to the hardware store). If I buy the plans from Madisound, does it include enough info to set up the crossover transfer functions in the minidsp? Or do the plans include the ability to download the settings from somewhere?
I don't really have a need for them, but if I can put them together for ~$250 or so it seems like a potentially interesting experiment.

D

Deleted member 2944

Question on the LxMini. I already have a pair of the L16RN-SL drivers and a minidsp nano-digi, so all I really need to build the LxMini is the full-range drivers and the crossover info (well, and a trip to the hardware store). If I buy the plans from Madisound, does it include enough info to set up the crossover transfer functions in the minidsp? Or do the plans include the ability to download the settings from somewhere?
I don't really have a need for them, but if I can put them together for ~$250 or so it seems like a potentially interesting experiment.
Yes and yes.

Dave.

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Buying the plans allows you access to a section of the Linkwitz forum with the crossover info and downloads. Otherwise, you probably could not figure it out

D

Deleted member 2944

Every time I go to that site I can't see a price for the kits.
Why do we need to sign in to see prices?

Thanks
Frank is rather circumspect with regard to pricing.
But the reason for signing in is so he can locate you and determine whether the displayed price is Euro's or USD.

Dave.

Hasse

Hi, new member here, but reading for quite some time, and enjoing this forum very much.

I’ m also very pleased with my LXmini+2.

I have a very simple set up with streaming through Apple TV, toslink to DSPmini 4x10 and 6ch amping with second hand Yamaha RX-v1700. All hidden behind the low doors.

A small extra room means near field listening, but also possibilty to listen long and loud without discussion with the wife.

Most people who have heard them agrees to that they sound very differently to what you might think from the visual appearance.

Please exuse any bad spelling, I am a Swede.

4AA6D02B-F823-4BD2-BD6A-452D04CDD3AD.jpeg

ta240

Major Contributor
Frank is rather circumspect with regard to pricing.
But the reason for signing in is so he can locate you and determine whether the displayed price is Euro's or USD.

Dave.

At first I couldn't figure out if the price wasn't shown or if I was just missing the price do to the typically bad website design that is common with places selling audio gear. I guess it is a bit of both because there should definitely be a "login to see pricing" notice next to the items. Fortunately, that gave me time to think it over and I put my credit card away. Maybe someday... but not today.

Top Bottom