• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Belkin Airplay 2 device

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you have an iphone and play spotify, can you use this? (I dont have iphones so that is why I ask, but is for a family member)

Taddpole

If it's not supporting the new lossless is it destined for the bargain bin sooner rather than later?

Zensō

Major Contributor
If it's not supporting the new lossless is it destined for the bargain bin sooner rather than later?
From the product page: "Our Audio Adapter with AirPlay 2 supports CD-quality sample rates of 16-bit, 44,100 Hz (44.1 kHz) resolution."

Raindog123

Major Contributor
The marketing pics claim it supports '44.1/16' So my hope is it can receive and play unmodified 44.1/16 streams from either Qobuz or Tidal iDevice app...

Taddpole

From the product page: "Our Audio Adapter with AirPlay 2 supports CD-quality sample rates of 16-bit, 44,100 Hz (44.1 kHz) resolution."

Airplay 2 had that spec even before the announcement though.

And the lossless goes higher than that.

zym1010

Forum Donor
A Raspberry Pi 4 in a Flirc case running RopieeeXL is AirPlay compatible (via Shairport-sync), less expensive, and has USB out. Which is better depends upon your needs, I guess.

I believe one reason to buy the new Belkin dongle is that AirPlay 2 has better handling on buffering?

Zensō

Major Contributor
Airplay 2 had that spec even before the announcement though.

And the lossless goes higher than that.
Yup, there will be some small quantity of "hi-res" available, but from what I've read it's likely to be a small percentage of the catalog. Looking at the quantity of tracks available in hi-res on Tidal and Qobuz, I'd guesstimate <10%. The more important question, I think, is whether anyone can actually hear the difference between Redbook and hi-res. The studies seem to say "no".

Zensō

Major Contributor
I believe one reason to buy the new Belkin dongle is that AirPlay 2 has better handling on buffering?
True, though I've never once encountered a need for larger buffers using Airplay 1 or Shairport-sync, so I don't know if it's a real advantage or not. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has had buffer issues with either. Perhaps it helps if you're dealing with a spotty wifi connection?

Taddpole

Yup, there will be some small quantity of "hi-res" available, but from what I've read it's likely to be a small percentage of the catalog. Looking at the quantity of tracks available in hi-res on Tidal and Qobuz, I'd guesstimate <10%. The more important question, I think, is whether anyone can actually hear the difference between Redbook and hi-res. The studies seem to say "no".

As this device was planned before the announcement and they don't make clear what it can play at 16/44 I'd be cautious.

Not sure where you've read that only small percentage will be available btw.

zym1010

Forum Donor
True, though I've never once encountered a need for larger buffers using Airplay 1 or Shairport-sync, so I don't know if it's a real advantage or not. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has had buffer issues with either. Perhaps it helps if you're dealing with a spotty wifi connection?

Thanks. I think you raised a good point. Historically I felt iTunes to HomePod stereo has been extremely flaky (even after HomePod got firmware upgrades); I previously attributed to bad experience partly to AirPlay 1 but maybe it was more due to HomePod. Let me try things like https://www.airserver.com/ and see how it works. If it works fine I can return the Belkin dongle.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what outputs does that belkin device have?

Top Bottom