• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Aune S6 Pro

I saw someone on Reddit post this morning that they'd gotten this DAC/AMP, which was the first I'd heard of it.
Searching Aliexpress lead me to these:

HTB1dgGoM9zqK1RjSZFpq6ykSXXaI.jpg

HTB1K4KmM7voK1RjSZPfq6xPKFXaD.jpg

HTB1twafM6DpK1RjSZFrq6y78VXaZ.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aun...hile-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier/32993159134.html

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The performance really isn't impressive at least from measurements stand point.

Jimmy

I guess the value depends on how the headphone amplifier section has been implemented, the old S6 used dual TPA6120, so balanced output impedance was about 20 ohm.

The fact that aune doesn't give any data on output impedance for the unit and no internal pictures are yet available makes me think that the HP output circuitry is similar to the S6, which IMO would be a bit dissapointing.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I guess the value depends on how the headphone amplifier section has been implemented, the old S6 used dual TPA6120, so balanced output impedance was about 20 ohm.

The fact that aune doesn't give any data on output impedance for the unit and no internal pictures are yet available makes me think that the HP output circuitry is similar to the S6, which IMO would be a bit dissapointing.
Where did you get the information from? I don't think s6 has tpa6120.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Jimmy

I thought the same, but it seems it is, and internet reviews indicate poor performance (fr.variations and higher distortion) with low impedance loads and at least the single ended output.

The new model price is reasonable since the AK4497 chip is expensive, but the question mark is how it perfoms as a HP amp.

It's a pity that many otherwise decent AIO designs fail at providing a no compromise HP output, JDS labs and others have shown that great performance can be achieved at a low price point.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I thought the same, but it seems it is, and internet reviews indicate poor performance (fr.variations and higher distortion) with low impedance loads and at least the single ended output.

The new model price is reasonable since the AK4497 chip is expensive, but the question mark is how it perfoms as a HP amp.

It's a pity that many otherwise decent AIO designs fail at providing a no compromise HP output, JDS labs and others have shown that great performance can be achieved at a low price point.
It's surely funny that their old an low end products perform better. And aune came from hifidiy (like diyaudio but Chinese). You can search for artemis amplifier or their s7. They use opamps in parallel like massively parallel structure but..... Anyway.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well shit. I don't know why they do this.
BTW, there is way to make tpa6120 shine. But as far as I see they didn't figure it out. Composite amplifier. Just like atom but use tpa6120 instead of lme49600. Btw 49600 itself is pretty shit. Tpa6120 is much better in either configuration.

Jimmy

It isn't necessarily bad, most full size headphones don't need a low output impedance, and planars have a flat impedance curve, but at this price level I would expect something a bit different, not a run off the mill solution, anyway the IMHO overpriced Sennheiser HDVD series also use TPA6120 ICs.

I'll wait and see what Topping will have on offer with the DX7 Pro, I'm not in a hurry to buy something right now, If I were I would probably go with the ADI 2 Pro FS, in fact I would have already purchased it, but for the AK4490 chips they use I fear that they may bring a new revision sooner or later with newer ICs and DSD512 (which by the way is pretty useless), but since I'm already served I can wait and try to minimize losses in value.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Both chips can be implemented with near zero output impedance by using couple of inductors on output. These are very good output buffers, I don't see reasons to complain.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yea it's about implementation. But unfortunately 99% of the implementations with tpa6120 are shit.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
from that Russian review here are the translation of measurements of headphone out with TPA6120:
Freq response 40-15000Hz - +0.02 dB -0.15dB
Noise, db(A) -100.4
Dynamic range, dB(A) 98.4
THD, % 0.00217
THD+noise, dB(A) -89.7
Intermodulation+noise, % 0.00459
Stereo crosstalk, dB -94.1
Intermodulation at 10kHz, % 0.00593

Decent?

Jimmy

I don't think that FR can be right, it is almost magnetic tape territory. I was considering this unit for its balanced output, but I'm waiting for the DX7 Pro, if price is right, and they can get low OI while protecting headphones (seems to be the DX3 Pro achiles heel, at least with some units, so I don't want to risk plugging in 2000$ headphones) then I'll probably go for it.

Jimmy

I've checked again the review, the data is correct, but the FR extends below 20hz and above 20khz, only that at 20khz we're at -0.5dB, so it's a bit rolled off, nothing uncommon, on paper seems a good unit with a run of the mill HP output (should sound good, anyway), that's why they sell a separate HP amp.

charliecola

I don't think that FR can be right, it is almost magnetic tape territory. I was considering this unit for its balanced output, but I'm waiting for the DX7 Pro, if price is right, and they can get low OI while protecting headphones (seems to be the DX3 Pro achiles heel, at least with some units, so I don't want to risk plugging in 2000$ headphones) then I'll probably go for it.

I don't think these results are anywhere near accurate - the tester used the ADC on a Soundblaster soundcard to test.

It would be great to see some actual measurements for the Aune S6 Pro - it seems like a nice package, both single ended and balanced headphone amps have more power in the Pro version.

Jimmy

Aune measures their gear, and they seem honest in that regard, so I trust them. However, for the price of this unit there are other options, and there's also upcoming competition from Topping.

Top Bottom