• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Audiophysic medeos New Hi-End 5-way

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
A new big boy from Audiophysic

Our most exclusive loudspeaker in our history

At the HIGHEND 2022 in Munich, our most exclusive loudspeaker Medeos celebrated its world premiere.

Alan Parsons, brand ambassador of the HIGHEND, also did not miss a listening session.

Medeos marks a milestone in our history. The 5-way loudspeaker combines technical innovations and concepts shown for the first time to create a unique sound experience. Its total of thirty drivers enables spectacular and unprecedented music performance. At the heart of Medeos is the exceptional and patent-pending midrange driver. Thus, the speakers mark the pinnacle of what is currently technically possible.

Innovation is a vital part of our DNA. Since the founding of Audio Physic, our goal has been to break down barriers to make music sound perfect. In doing so, we examine every detail. From the electrical components to the design of the cones and the use of new materials for loudspeaker construction. Medeos is the current apex of this development.

Medeos is limited to ten pairs globally and is only available on request. Audio Physic manufactures the finish individually according to customer wishes.

Facts:

• All drivers operate without conventional centering and have been either wholly new developed or advanced developed.
  • Patent-pending world innovation in the essential midrange range
  • Eight 280 mm (11″) woofers in push-push arrangement. Four of them inductive
    This unique technology allows a broad level adjustment in the low-frequency range
  • Exclusively newly developed capacitors with further refined copper foam contacting and Van den Hul connecting wires
  • Outer cabinet made of multiplex honeycomb sandwich for maximum stability and internal damping, open-pored copper foam in the midrange/tweeter cabinet
  • Internal construction is made of a unique Honeycomb composite.
  • Enclosure dimensions: 175 cm x 32 cm x 55 cm (HxWxD)
  • Required Space: 180 cm x 62 cm x 80 cm (HxWxD)
  • Weight: Unfortunately, we did not have a Libra at hand. We estimate around 200kg.
  • Frequency response: Our measuring device says 23 Hz – 40 kHz. Probably more
  • Impedance: 4 Ohm
  • Frequency response: Our meter says 23 Hz – 40 kHz. Probably more
  • 5-Way Design: 4 x 280mm + 4 x 280mm inductive woofer to 100Hz, 4 x 180mm low-mid to 300Hz, 1 x 150mm midrange to 2000Hz, 1 x mid-high to 5000Hz, 1 x tweeter HHCT 3+.
Audio-Physic-Medeos-flagship-five-way-floorstanding-speaker.jpg

*A bit of camera distortion*
Audio-Physic-Medeos-Titelbild.jpg

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I see cable lifters and Snowflakes, what more do you expect? :cool:

Here are the Specs: Quoted

So they are optimists. Probably more…

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously? Probably a lot of more money. Another HEA spécimen …:rolleyes:

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor

Umm
I was tryng to find nice information when i made this post
but I found in the Website from audiophysic they sell these things for the cables... :l with a nice write

but no measurements or decent information about claims only talks and yet they are audio "physic"

mwmkravchenko

New kind of driver!
A very interesting one

Audio-Physic-Medeos-10-1024x683.jpg
high-end-2022-audio-physik-medeos-mittelto%CC%88ner-membran.jpg
This is a center driven planar that has some damped points. It is not a completely new idea. But it is a good implementation of the idea. Mechanically speaking. I am not sure if they have pulled this off successfully. A round soft planar will have modes where the membrane will not move along with the rest of the membrane. You can map these out a few ways and try and address the problem areas. Listening will tell you a lot.

mwmkravchenko

Audiophysic is making interesting stuff
The glass/mdf cabinets are interesting
I sure hope those glass panels are not humming along with the tunes. They need some serious damping. But they sure can be a nice design element on those enclosures.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sure hope those glass panels are not humming along with the tunes. They need some serious damping. But they sure can be a nice design element on those enclosures.

I don't know if they are technically, but sonically I found no indication the glass had a deleterious effect. The newer Audio Physic Avanti that I auditioned "disappeared" as apparent sound sources as any audio physic speaker I've heard, and sounded generally quite neutral.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm very skeptical about this being any good.

- 5 way passive crossover, not exactly easy to pull off
- round planar handling 300-2000hz (modes?)
- sensitivity? Probably very low
- hard to imagine this will have smooth directivity but who knows

Putter

Forum Donor

Without any knowledge about how they sound, I would point out that KEF's place their 'snowflake' in the center. KEF's in general are highly respected so maybe the problem is too many snowflakes.;)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Without any knowledge about how they sound, I would point out that KEF's place their 'snowflake' in the center. KEF's in general are highly respected so maybe the problem is too many snowflakes.;)
Did you read their written specs? The statement “Probably more” is a leap. Another words our measurement device only confirms this rage of performance but it could be more and probably is. Ahh but never less. Measured to 40khz so your all set for your Bat and Dolphin friends. :facepalm:

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Is that "The", Alan Parsons? of Beatles and Ammonia Avenue fame?
If so, sign me up for a pair, as long as they are less than five grand mind!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a center driven planar that has some damped points. It is not a completely new idea. But it is a good implementation of the idea. Mechanically speaking. I am not sure if they have pulled this off successfully. A round soft planar will have modes where the membrane will not move along with the rest of the membrane. You can map these out a few ways and try and address the problem areas. Listening will tell you a lot.
I've never seen a damped planar like this; seems like an extremely difficult driver to get to work. I would expect similar performance to a BMR - not a ton of output, crazy bandwidth and dispersion.

mwmkravchenko

I've never seen a damped planar like this; seems like an extremely difficult driver to get to work. I would expect similar performance to a BMR - not a ton of output, crazy bandwidth and dispersion.
I would have to agree. All of the BMR drivers I have been in front of did not impress me. I have designed and worked with AMT's and Planars. THey have their place if used according to their strengths. As with all drivers.
I'm very skeptical about this being any good.

- 5 way passive crossover, not exactly easy to pull off
- round planar handling 300-2000hz (modes?)
- sensitivity? Probably very low
- hard to imagine this will have smooth directivity but who knows
I agree. This is a very difficult setup to get working properly. But we are only arm chair engineers at this point. Not enough information available. It is indeed a great amount of engineering work. The glass for instance could be used for mass loading. But I am not sure if it is. The extreme midwoofer spacing could be for steering the vertical response. Taking advantage of floor bounce and changing the timber of the ceiling bounce.

Ra1zel

I would expect similar performance to a BMR - not a ton of output, crazy bandwidth and dispersion.
Crazy bandwidth yet used in 5 way speaker sounds a little illogical, but hey maybe they want to minimize distortion for each driver.

mwmkravchenko

Crazy bandwidth yet used in 5 way speaker sounds a little illogical, but hey maybe they want to minimize distortion for each driver.
That is true. Each driver size, shape and type does have an operating area where it is best suited. That fancy BMR has me guessing a bit. It could cover the voice range on it's own. So much of this depends on the design choices made in the efficiency of the drivers and the types of crossover slopes and thier orders.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think at a certain point it becomes audiophile marketing - 'we have an insane, proprietary and very delicate driver devoted to the human voice'. This doesn't disqualify the technical competence of the speaker, mind you. Using multiple midrange drivers is an excellent way of smoothing DI - indeed the only way besides waveguides and DSP/Dipole/Cardioid madness.

AP sort of resides in this audiophilish but technically competent category for me. It's clear they make concessions to appearance (their speakers are very refined in terms of design and silhouette) but they aren't spouting bullshit either. It's very German and I like it.

Top Bottom