• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M500NC 374 euro = 415usd for monoblock NC500!

Lawhaus

Congrats! Personally I don't like using digital volume only, so I would add a pair of inline XLR attenuators if I were you, -20dB depending on how loud you listen, and it would impact almost +20dB SINAD in the system overall for ~20 usd.
https://www.parts-express.com/in-line-xlr-attenuator-pad-20db--240-416

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

The volume range on the SU-8 goes from 0 to 40. Typically I’m between 14 (low volume) and 22 (very loud).

If I would use the part you recommend. Will that increase the SINAD because I can use a stronger output signal range from the DAC?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

The volume range on the SU-8 goes from 0 to 40. Typically I’m between 14 (low volume) and 22 (very loud).

If I would use the part you recommend. Will that increase the SINAD because I can use a stronger output signal range from the DAC?
I don't know how much the volume is attenuating. I assume each number is a decibel? So that 14 is -26dB and 22 is -18dB digital attenuation? With a -20dB in line XLR attenuator you would use volumes 34 (-26dB) to 40 (-20dB, a little lower than your current maximum volume) but you're getting about +20dB SINAD as the noise floor is lowered along with the signal.

Lawhaus

The pics on the Audiophonics website don't do it justice imho. That's why I decided to make some photos today, maybe they can be of use to someone or help in making a purchasing decision :)

Like I shared earlier the build quality surprised me in a positive way. The enclosure is solid.

The only small things I could notice was some of the metal shavings/machining marks on the inside of the back plate. This is also visible in the photos. Also the wires from the front button/led are a bit too close to the caps, while on the back side there is still plenty of space. They could just move the board 1-2 cm's back.

DSC09726.jpg

DSC09731.jpg

DSC09734.jpg

DSC09737.jpg

DSC09744.jpg

DSC09745.jpg

DSC09747.jpg

DSC09748.jpg

DSC09753.jpg

DSC09756.jpg

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The pics on the Audiophonics website don't do it justice imho. That's why I decided to make some photos today, maybe they can be of use to someone or help in making a purchasing decision :)

Like I shared earlier the build quality surprised me in a positive way. The enclose is solid.

The only small things I could notice was some of the metal shavings/machining marks on the inside of the back plate. This is also visible in the photos. Also the wires from the front button/led are a bit too close to the caps, while on the back side there is still plenty of space. They could just move the board 1-2 cm's back.

View attachment 105052

View attachment 105053

View attachment 105054

View attachment 105055

View attachment 105058

View attachment 105059

View attachment 105060

View attachment 105061

View attachment 105062

View attachment 105063
Great pics, and very informative. Did you use a phone or "proper" camera?

Yes, looks like cable layout could be improved a little, otherwise nicely done. I wonder if we could do any better ourselves for the money?

Lawhaus

Great pics, and very informative. Did you use a phone or "proper" camera?

Yes, looks like cable layout could be improved a little, otherwise nicely done. I wonder if we could do any better ourselves for the money?

Used my “proper” camera :D

Iindeed, I’m also happy I didnt pay double the price to get the same module from other vendors which should offer fancier build quality.

ivo.f.doma

[QUOTE = "AudioSceptic, príspevok: 631980, člen: 8776"] Vynikajúce obrázky a veľmi poučné. Použiť ste telefón alebo „poriadny“ fotoaparát?

Áno, vyzerá to, že usporiadanie káblov by sa dalo trochu vylepšiť, inak je pekne urobené. Zaujímalo by ma, či by sme pre tieto peniaze mohli urobiť niečo lepšie? [/ QUOTE]
[QUOTE = "Lawhaus, príspevok: 631915, člen: 15457"] Obrázky na webe Audiophonics to nerobia dobre. Preto som sa dnes rozhodol urobiť nejaké fotografie, možno by mohli byť niekomu užitočné alebo pomôcť pri rozhodovaní o kúpe:)

Ako som už zdieľal, kvalita zostavenia ma pozitívne prekvapila. Kryt je pevný.

Jediné malé veci, ktoré som si mohol všimnúť, boli niektoré kovové hobliny / stopy po opracovaní na vnútornej strane zadnej dosky. Je to viditeľné aj na fotografiách. Tiež vodiče z predného gombíka / LED sú príliš blízko ku krytkám, zatiaľ čo na zadnej strane je stále dosť miesta. Mohli len posunúť dosku o 1-2 cm dozadu.

View attachment 105052

View attachment 105053

View attachment 105054

View attachment 105055

View attachment 105058

View attachment 105059

View attachment 105060

View attachment 105061

View attachment 105062

View attachment 105063[/ QUOTE]
Hi. I would also be interested in an amplifier based on nc502mp. How sensitive is your Audiophonics? I want to operate it as front channels on the AVR.

Last edited:

Lawhaus

Hi. I would also be interested in an amplifier based on nc502mp. How sensitive is your Audiophonics? I want to operate it as front channels on the AVR.

Not sure what you mean with sensitivity, do you mean the gain?

That would be between 25-26 dB. It's described here in the documentation of the MP502 module.
https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/912
https://www.hypex.nl/product/nc502mp-oem/77

Otherwise I have no measurement capabilities or knowledge how to describe the sensitivity.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[QUOTE = "AudioSceptic, príspevok: 631980, člen: 8776"] Vynikajúce obrázky a veľmi poučné. Použiť ste telefón alebo „poriadny“ fotoaparát?

Áno, vyzerá to, že usporiadanie káblov by sa dalo trochu vylepšiť, inak je pekne urobené. Zaujímalo by ma, či by sme pre tieto peniaze mohli urobiť niečo lepšie? [/ QUOTE]
[QUOTE = "Lawhaus, príspevok: 631915, člen: 15457"] Obrázky na webe Audiophonics to nerobia dobre. Preto som sa dnes rozhodol urobiť nejaké fotografie, možno by mohli byť niekomu užitočné alebo pomôcť pri rozhodovaní o kúpe:)

Ako som už zdieľal, kvalita zostavenia ma pozitívne prekvapila. Kryt je pevný.

Jediné malé veci, ktoré som si mohol všimnúť, boli niektoré kovové hobliny / stopy po opracovaní na vnútornej strane zadnej dosky. Je to viditeľné aj na fotografiách. Tiež vodiče z predného gombíka / LED sú príliš blízko ku krytkám, zatiaľ čo na zadnej strane je stále dosť miesta. Mohli len posunúť dosku o 1-2 cm dozadu.

View attachment 105052

View attachment 105053

View attachment 105054

View attachment 105055

View attachment 105058

View attachment 105059

View attachment 105060

View attachment 105061

View attachment 105062

View attachment 105063[/ QUOTE]
It is the same module as the Apollon, same answer I gave you on the other thread.

Last edited:

the_hamster 2

Like I shared earlier the build quality surprised me in a positive way. The enclosure is solid.

View attachment 105052

View attachment 105053

View attachment 105054

View attachment 105055

View attachment 105058

View attachment 105059

View attachment 105060

View attachment 105061

View attachment 105062

View attachment 105063

Do you reckon it’s worth a little bit of work to somehow divert the incoming power switch line away from the caps? Bend the tabs up slightly, or...? Ah, they are aligned the wrong way - perpendicular to the case rather than parallel...hmm.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Do you reckon it’s worth a little bit of work to somehow divert the incoming power switch line away from the caps? Bend the tabs up slightly, or...? Ah, they are aligned the wrong way - perpendicular to the case rather than parallel...hmm.
That's a niggle that irritates me. It seems obvious to position the main board a little further to the back, or can anyone see a reason for not doing that?

Lawhaus

I learned to live with it. It most likely doesn't effect performance in any way ;)

Anyway, there is very little pressure caused by those cables. They are loosely resting on the cap. The reason the board is not moved to the back probably is because they use a generic casing for many amp models. There are pre-drilled holes for other modules as well. Maybe in later revisions they can optimize it for this particular configuration.

wein07

Apart from the case sizing, Does anyone have any idea what are the differences between the LPA and HPA series?

Curious why the LPA-S500NC is half the price of the HPA-S600NC, but delivers more power.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apart from the case sizing, Does anyone have any idea what are the differences between the LPA and HPA series?
It is indeed form factor related at first.

Then, both amps mentioned are not comparable at all. One includes NC502MP, which is a all-in-one module. The other two NC500 OEM, buffer boards and SMPS1200 power supply, which is a way more expensive (and slightly better performing) solution.

I don't know where did you see the LPA being more powerful than the other... apart from 1% power at 8Ω only, it is not the case.

Last edited:

mdunjic

Understood about the chassis, I also think the power button design can be improved, I will think about it for the next batch.
Yes we made a driver board, both should come soon. Assembled into the big HPA chassis and into a new one, a little wider than MPA ones.

It's up to Amir to decide, we can send him any that he wants.
Just purchased 2 AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M500NC Mono Amplifier-s ... need something 'cooler' for my summer listening ... my Quad 909 is running rather hot and it's becoming an issue in the summer ;) ... using Benchmark LA4 preamp and SMSL SU-9n DAC and speakers are Neat Motive 1 floor-standers (86-87 dB/1 watt sensitivity) ... can't wait to try out and compare how these nCore modules sound compared to my beloved 'feed forward' design based Quad ... UPS says I shall get Audiophonics MPA-M500NC mono-blocks early next week ! Woohoo ! nCores in the summer BUT Quad in the winter ? LoL

Last edited:
OP
H

hansik

Just purchased 2 AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M500NC Mono Amplifier-s ... need something 'cooler' for my summer listening ... my Quad 909 is running rather hot and it's becoming an issue in the summer ;) ... using Benchmark LA4 preamp and SMSL SU-9n DAC and speakers are Neat Motive 1 floor-standers (86-87 dB/1 watt sensitivity) ... can't wait to try out and compare how these nCore modules sound compared to my beloved 'feed forward' design based Quad ... UPS says I shall get Audiophonics MPA-M500NC mono-blocks early next week ! Woohoo ! nCores in the summer BUT Quad in the winter ? LoL
It won't be worse. Probably Quad for sale soon. I sold all heavy amps i had, only use Ncores, and a few Behringer A800's for surround. All running cool.

mdunjic

It won't be worse. Probably Quad for sale soon. I sold all heavy amps i had, only use Ncores, and a few Behringer A800's for surround. All running cool.
I have two Quad 909s ... one is already for sale on eBay, currently using the other one. Wife wants me to downsize and they are normally running hot.
I do love Quad inoffensive sound (also have 306 power amp in my living room setup and have Quad 12L Active / self powered monitor speakers in my basement TV room lol ... all of the same feed-forward circuit design), but am definitely intrigued by the recent advances in class D area, especially Hypex (and more expensive Purify) and this was cheapest opportunity to try it out first hand. In worst case Hypex will be plugged in the summer LOL and Quad in the winter ha ha ... games never stop OR maybe Quad firesale on eBay? Lol

On a serious note, just this looks promising, even for this one-in-all Hypex nCore module
1x 135W @ 8Ω 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.006%
1x 250W @ 4Ω 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.006%

Quad 909 is
2x 140W @ 8Ω, 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.03%
2x 250W @ 4Ω, 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.03%

Last edited:

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Although I am perfectly content with my Quad Platinum monoblocks, 180 into 8. This site, and these products certainly appear to be the way forward!

Top Bottom