• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please delete/close

gallionetech

please delete/close

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Here is my setup as it stands today:
- XIAudio K Dac
- XIAudio Broadway
- Superconductor HP Upgrade Cable for Diana
- Diana TC Bass Ported Ear Pads
- Superconductor V USB Cable
- 2x JPS Labs Digital AC-X Filtered AC Cord
- Aurender N150
- Abyss Diana TC Headphones
Wow you bought a lot of useless stuff that does nothing. If you like the Abyss Diana TC I would sell everything else apart from the Ear Pads. Just get the Topping stack, is miles better than whatever XIAudio produces. Go for a nice holiday or something with the money you saved.

If you want a streamer then just get something from Matrix Audio instead.

delta76

Major Contributor
You can try reading reviews in this forum, it can be overwhelming at first but after a while you got a grasp - what to avoid (hint: any cable "upgrade"), what can be some hidden gems etc.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Welcome to ASR. Yes Abyss has a rather negative reputation for which they themselves shoulder a lot of the blame. You can read more about it here.

That being said, a lot of people do like them. You said in your post that you are happy with the build and sound of the Diana's in your setup. If so, there is no need to change. That being said, the Abyss does not comply with the Harman target curve with quite a lot of distortion. Now, the Harman target curve only predicts what most people would like in a headphone, so it does not necessarily apply to you. But then there is also the possibility that you might prefer a headphone which is tuned to be more compliant with the target curve.

The easiest way to find out is to use EQ to change the target curve to better fit the Harman curve (see Amir's review for recommendations on how to do it). If that is good enough to satisfy you, there is no need to change. But if you like Harman tuning and want something which is easier to drive which does not have the problems associated with Abyss, the Dan Clark Expanse is well reviewed (disclaimer, I have never heard the Expanse, but I do own a DCA Stealth).

As for cable upgrades, the only reason to change the cable is if it is not long enough for you, or your existing cable has some kind of problem.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
You can try reading reviews in this forum, it can be overwhelming at first but after a while you got a grasp - what to avoid (hint: any cable "upgrade"), what can be some hidden gems etc.
The fact that these cables exist make Abyss (not just Abyss, even brands like Dan Clark fuck you like this) look so bad. Lets say these cables actually make the headphone sound better, they don't do shit, but for the sake of this argument lets say they do. Why are they making a $3000+ headphone and not supplying them with cables that make them sound the best? They are literally saying their stock cables aren't up to par. That's simply ridiculous in this price bracket.

And lets make it clear, I'm all for brands having their own cable line or having recommended cables from other brands. You know the fit will be good and there are plenty of reasons to get a new cable: cable broke, longer, shorter, more rugged, prettier to look at. But the one single thing you cannot say without making your original product look like a joke is that they make it sound better. That just makes you look like a clown who releases a product with an issue with the design on purpose. Even reduced microphonics is questionable, why not just have that as the stock cable?

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
also, anything that is advertised "for audiophiles" is usually just snake oil, they might or might not perform well, but they will charge you extra for that

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@gallionetech It is exactly as staticV3 and Koejte said. Sorry for the bad news.

The good news. This forum was founded exactly for the reason to allow people to make an objective informed decision on how to spent their money by providing scientifically founded facts on what works and what doesn’t. So people do not have to rely on company marketing and magazines and YouTubers which have commercial interest in selling you stuff which is vastly overpriced and does nothing.

However you have to want to go that path because many have convinced themselves that they hear a difference and it even improved sound. One can show that in these cases the natural human unconscious biases are influencing perception incorrectly. The most prominent one is: It was expensive therefore it must be good / better. Amir and others showed many times that there is no correlation, especially for electronics, between price and technical performance.
That’s why either measurements or blind (controlled) listening tests aim to remove human bias.

Good luck.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@gallionetech

Welcome to ASR. Stay there. The welcome can be a bit ... brutal, shall we say?

I come from the other side of the audiophile world. The one that relies on subjective (opinions) of famed reviewers or audiophile fora, or suggestions from the manufacturer. I come from , spend most of my audiophile life in it ... so .. I know, been there.. done that, ... spent a lot of that... The mantra from these audiophiles side can be summed like this, you'll excuse my slang and my grammar: Moh' money = Moh' better. You will find yourself on an endless spiral toward higher prices for results you will be forever dissatisfied with because.. they are not good...
If you are serious stay.. If you are not ...

Now about the Abyss, perhaps you entire headphones system... From the listing I see several thousands of dollars... If you really want to open your ears and mind eyes... Conduct this experience and report.

Read this REVIEW of the Sennheiser HD650
then go to Amazon and...
Buy the Sennheiser HD650 about $350.oo
Buy a Kudelix 5K about $110
Total $460.oo
Use the EQ Setting from Amir, it is on the review but I am pasting these here for your convenience:
index.php

If you have issues about how to apply the EQ, ask here, people will help

Or

If you have no issue with IEM (In Ear Monitor).
buy these: TRUTHEAR Crinnacle Zero $50.oo
If you have an IOS device, buy the Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter at $9.95 or if you have Android phone the Samsung USB-C to headphones adapter

About $60.oo

Listen and report....

You'll understand why we don't take Abyss seriously, here at ASR (Hint: Objective results on the review were abysmal :)) .. and why we don't give a rat's excretory orifice for audiophile cables.... or supra DAC or Supra conductor or ...

Peace.

P.S. I am a HiFiman fan, I could (should? :)) have recommended the HE-400 which is even cheaper but .. The Sennheiser, fit, finish and comfort are, in the opinion of many here, superior as is the quality control.... For the record, I own (and love) the HifiMan HE-6Se, IMHO one of the top 5 headphones out there.. Its measurements are pretty spectacular too...

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
3) The cables are unreturnable, are they any worse than standard cables or are they worth leaving in the setup to avoid any additional cost?
The cables aren't worse than standard ones, but they're not any better either.
You basically have $4500 worth of cables that perform exactly the same as $70 worth of cables.

delta76

Major Contributor
Thank you all for your feedback, I’m really glad I found this community! I have a few questions to follow up on your answers:

1) Is the Topping A90/D90SE a better stack than the XIAUDIO K DAC + Broadway? Is it comparable even though it’s much more expensive? Just deciding if it’s worth replacing it with the Topping A90/D90SE

2) the Diana TC headphones were purchased from HeadAmp and it looks like they have a 60 day exchange policy. Which headphones would you recommend I exchange for in the similar price range? Does anyone have any experience with the Meze Elites, LCD-5, or Dan Clark Expanse?

3) The cables are unreturnable, are they any worse than standard cables or are they worth leaving in the setup to avoid any additional cost?

4) If I were to go about selling some of the gear, is there any place you recommend to try to sell? I’m not a fan of eBay
Cables are cables and unless there is something seriously wrong with it, they will perform all the same. The only expensive cables that worth the money are the long hdmi (15m+), which you have to use optical ones. Obviously not your case.

I would not spend for more than 10$ per audio cable, rca, speaker etc. I would spend a bit more for a brand I like and get the good looking ones, but not for the audio quality

staticV3

Master Contributor
1) Is the Topping A90/D90SE a better stack than the XIAUDIO K DAC + Broadway?
Yes.

Is it comparable even though it’s much more expensive?
The Broadway can output 0.3W at 16Ω before clipping. At 16Ω, the A90D can output 8W. They're really not comparable.

Which headphones would you recommend I exchange for in the similar price range? Does anyone have any experience with the Meze Elites or LCD-5?
The Meze Elite has pretty poor frequency response.
At a similar price range, I'd look at the DCA Stealth, DCA Expanse, or some high-end Audeze. Warwick doesn't look too shabby either.
Though TBH I wouldn't ever spend that much on a pair of headphones. Diminishing returns, or more accurately nonexistent returns are hitting hard at that point. It's just throwing away money.

staticV3

Master Contributor
And I would even say that $70 is still a lot for cables. 17$ is closer to what you should spend. Buy amazonbasics and be done
I'm including one USB cable, one headphone cable, and two AC chords in that $70, just like in the original post.
Buying all that for $17 is a bit too extreme imo.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh I wish I could go back in time!

I think I’m going to swap out my stack with the Topping A90/D90SE

And I’m going to try to exchange my Diana’s with the Dan Clark Expanse after seeing Amir’s review of them, would rather just try something that’s tried and true.

Submitted the return request for my Aurender to get back that $3500. I’ve been researching on this forum and see that the digital streamer has no impact on performance. Makes total sense, just bought into all the linear PSU stuff they were selling me.

As far as the XIAudio stack + cables it’s unreturnable so I’m out about 9k on those :(. Going to test them side by side with the topping stack once I get it.
Sorry to hear about the cables. Maybe try selling them in one of those “audiophile” forums. If not just keep ‘em a reminder of old times :)

peniku8

Forum Donor
If they're not super stiff they're not worse. If they are (they do look thick), they are worse imo, I really like my headphone cables to be less intrusive so I can focus on the music.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Thank you all for your feedback, I’m really glad I found this community! I have a few questions to follow up on your answers:

1) Is the Topping A90/D90SE a better stack than the XIAUDIO K DAC + Broadway? Is it comparable even though it’s much more expensive? Just deciding if it’s worth replacing it with the Topping A90/D90SE

2) the Diana TC headphones were purchased from HeadAmp and it looks like they have a 60 day exchange policy. Which headphones would you recommend I exchange for in the similar price range? Does anyone have any experience with the Meze Elites, LCD-5, or Dan Clark Expanse?

4) If I were to go about selling some of the gear, is there any place you recommend to try to sell? I’m not a fan of eBay
US Audio Mart seems to have people selling a lot of high end cables. I look for gear on their site, but have never used it to sell equipment.

delta76

Major Contributor
I'm including one USB cable, one headphone cable, and two AC chords in that $70, just like in the original post.
Buying all that for $17 is a bit too extreme imo.
May be not exactly $17 but close. Those can be e extremely cheap if you buy amazonbasics or ugreen or kabeldirekt on a sale. Let's face it: a 1m usb cable is less than $1 to make and even if you buy for $4-5 they are still making a nice profit
Ugh I wish I could go back in time!

I think I’m going to swap out my stack with the Topping A90/D90SE

And I’m going to try to exchange my Diana’s with the Dan Clark Expanse after seeing Amir’s review of them, would rather just try something that’s tried and true.

Submitted the return request for my Aurender to get back that $3500. I’ve been researching on this forum and see that the digital streamer has no impact on performance. Makes total sense, just bought into all the linear PSU stuff they were selling me.

As far as the XIAudio stack + cables it’s unreturnable so I’m out about 9k on those :(. Going to test them side by side with the topping stack once I get it.
I feel you. I am so glad I found ASR and was encouraged to get into audio, because I realize it does not have to be expensive and complicated.

In retrospect you can see how shady they are. Super expensive cables without return. To a lesser extend, they tell you that cables need burn in, and you only get the best sound after a magic 200/400h of burn in. Guess what, that is when the return window ended :(

Top Bottom