• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Audio Analyzer from Prism Sound (M1)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That's exactly the kind of "old-fashioned" ADC I need. There some USB interfaces with coax or TOSLINK out but they all look to be controlled by software on a host computer. I need something completely standalone.

Just buy a secondhand DAT recorder. You can pick up a mechanically non-functional unit for <$50. Pretty much all the Sony units have an A/D- D/A function in rec-standby (no tape loaded). You can feed in analog and take the digital out the SPDIF with full individual level control for each channel, plus a wonderful level meter with peak hold and Over indicators for >0dbFS. Most are 48KHz fS on analogue (delta sigma A/Ds) and offer a fabulous performance.

You also get an excellent D/A as a bonus.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just buy a secondhand DAT recorder. You can pick up a mechanically non-functional unit for <$50. Pretty much all the Sony units have an A/D- D/A function in rec-standby (no tape loaded). You can feed in analog and take the digital out the SPDIF with full individual level control for each channel, plus a wonderful level meter with peak hold and Over indicators for >0dbFS. Most are 48KHz fS on analogue (delta sigma A/Ds) and offer a fabulous performance.

You also get an excellent D/A as a bonus.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

helloworld

Spare parts power supply for the PCM4222EVM is pretty much done. Just need to find a box to put it in.

8DH1HM8l.jpg
hi which spdif/or aes to usb convertor do you use? I don’t know if a normal usb to spdif is bi-directional.....

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
That's cool. If everything is documented in the TI user guide I should be able to figure it out then.

That should probably be ok. Shouldn't clip with most line level sources but FS isn't so high that weak stuff will be too lost in the noise.

I want an analog input on my ADI-2 DAC but don't want to spend an extra $1K for the Pro. A standalone analog in, S/PDIF out board looks great for that.

Just going to plug where I got my Pro:

Go here, then click the "Friends of RME Login" on the left and enter a delivery address outside Europe to remove the VAT (I'm assuming you are American based on currency). Should bring the price down to €800 flat, which is around 900USD.

The same method also gets the ADI-2 Pro Fs Black Edition for €1.265.81 which is a substantially smaller price gap than usual. I bought one of those myself, the service is lovely and the shipping was fast and secure.

Way less of a jump.

@amirm On the topic in the thread, what software would you recommend for analysis using an ADI-2 Pro (Fs)? I see most analysers have built in software, but I don't know the best software to use for a device that is not an analyser, just a really good AD/DA

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm On the topic in the thread, what software would you recommend for analysis using an ADI-2 Pro (Fs)? I see most analysers have built in software, but I don't know the best software to use for a device that is not an analyser, just a really good AD/DA
I tried a number of them and all are awful in replicating the kind of testing I do. So no recommendation. Sorry.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I rather agree with Amir. All the software has its issues. If you don't mind a little manual work, you can test most things you want. Just not in a straightforward automated way.

Alan March likes Virtins Multi Instrument software.
https://www.virtins.com/multi-instrument.shtml
You can download a 21 day trial of it. I would read up on the documentation prior so you can make good use of your trial period. I found it capable, but still not quite my cup of tea.

I made up my own test signals in Audacity (Adobe Audition would work too). I usually run it thru Reaper which is DAW software. You can get Reaper free though you should pay for it if you use it. Honor system however. You can trial it forever. Once I've run the test signal and recorded it in Reaper I analyze the file mostly in Audacity though I sometimes use other software for this or that.

So to analyze something I have two wav files with various signals on them that last a few minutes each. One is near max level and the other is for low level signals. So I'd end up spending maybe 20 minutes connecting things, setting levels and running/recording the test files. Then I'd spend a while longer manually getting results for each type of specification of interest. You'll be able to get good results for most all of your usual specs this way.

You also can use REW for electronics testing for some purposes as it doesn't know the signal was never sent over a loudspeaker.

RMAA can be okay for basic testing. Somethings about it I don't quite like how it is done, but for comparative purposes it is usually consistent. It is the easiest and most automated of free or nearly free software. RMAA is free, but there is low cost paid version with some extra features. You might start playing around with it first.

If you'd like copies of test files I've made up I'd be glad to share them. Nothing special about them other than they already are done.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Just going to plug where I got my Pro:

Way less of a jump.

Virtins Multi Instrument is the best I have found.

https://www.virtins.com

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
+1 on the Virtins. I did a review of an earlier version for AudioXpress and have the newest one on hand for comparison. With a good sound card, some improvisational skills for signal conditioning (something like Jan Didden's Autoranger is useful), and a good understanding of measurements, you can get superb results.

The main thing you lose compared to an AP is ease of use and rapidity of measurement changeover. The learning curve for the Virtins is steep, but the results are worth it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Give me three weeks when I'm set up again (in a much warmer place!) and I'll run through it.

edit: Which DAC/ADC gave you a problem? Which drivers were being used? Can you describe what you saw?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not get Virtins to use bit-exact input and output at the same time. Have you managed that @SIY?
I had similar problems. For a work around I ran it on two laptops. One for input and one for output. Which is the principal reason I didn't continue past the trial time with it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks- I don't have those two particular devices but can set up something similar using purposed ASIO drivers for other ADC/DACs (ASIO4ALL has not been reliable for me).

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Every product I have in house (Behringer, miniDSP, Scarlett, M-Audio) has dedicated ASIO drivers, for which I'm thankful.

The only one that's given me any problem with Virtins is the CEntrance DAC/headphone amp- but it also crashes the AP and ARTA. Works perfectly in its intended function (e.g., plays fine from JRiver and iTunes), but doesn't like to be tested.:D To do measurements, I had to use a setup like Blumlein's, two computers and three pieces of software.

Top Bottom