• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New ASR logo proposal

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think designing a logo without understanding what the primary goal is - and where we want to be in the future, and maybe a mission statement type thing (that would have to come from @amirm and some trusted people) may be putting the cart before the horse, as it were.

Also remember that the Forum is only a part of ASR. The reviews are another part, education and the videos are a third, and encouraging others to perform measurements and report, and to bring knowledge to the place more generally is a fourth.

I believe the primary role of ASR is in fact education. I'm really here to do a lot of learning, and a spot of bringing what I have.

Education can be based on science, can’t it be? And while there may be a primary goal, it is not necessarily the reason why everyone is here. I’m here for education, but much more so to find interesting questions that still need to be answered. And to have fun finding the answers.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Exactly that is why only those people are contributing here who very well understand what the primary goal of a logo is.
Sorry. I mean the primary goal of ASR, not its logo, though aren't the two supposed to mesh?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Education can be based on science, can’t it be? And while there may be a primary goal, it is not necessarily the reason why everyone is here. I’m here for education, but much more so to find interesting questions that still need to be answered. And to have fun finding the answers.
Good.

Apparently though we don't do that here (see the post I was replying to), remember? That comes under research. :)

Obviously when you work on answering those interesting questions, that is bringing knowledge to the place: one of my suggested pillars. It's comparatively rare that people use this forum as a vehicle for joint research, at least publicly - we need to remember that direct messaging/conversations is another place where things happen here.

As for a genuine primary goal, we should defer to @amirm on that, for sure. Maybe we all have the wrong idea, it's happened before. Or maybe we've got a long way away from what was intended.

JSmith

Master Contributor
How about widening the sectors of SCIENCE and REVIEW, as they have to host more characters than the AUDIO sector? And flipping the words, too – for better legibility? :cool:

View attachment 348704
Now we've gone from Cecil the Sheep to The Mandalorian... ;)

1707700821791.png

JSmith

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some very preliminary simplification of the current logo. I haven't done any research, so something similar may exist already and would need to be changed.

View attachment 348667

Larger sizes are just to see better, Draft logos are the exact display size while watching on desktop.

Is it too much for you guys? Sheep got lost, that's for sure.
@Chagall The bottom left one looks great! Lovely visual balance, and the dots connect the text nicely. Possibly could do with a little more work on the precise splines of the curves? Jony Ive is famous for obsessing over curves. They look quite parabolic right now, maybe go for something a little more catenary to fill the space in the middle subtly more? Or a tiny overlap at the edge instead of the tiny gap?

Working back from that as the primary design to inform the alternates should give a very good result. The single letters in the "mobile" versions don't add much - personally I'd drop them and the dots for anything other than the primary logo.

just1n

Forum Donor
What about the letters ASR inside a vertical or horizontal MTM speaker layout?

Or somehow readable or superimposed on a frequency chart/oscilloscope kind of image?

Hiten

1707716893816.png

This is good. As sq225917 says thicker lines (except scope's) would add some weight. The square grids size can be made bigger so if small logo is required the lines would not vanish. The graduating graph lines could also be removed. Less elements in logo more simple and easy to understand.
good effort

Last edited:

Golf

Sure, but it can be simplified for smaller sizes. That's also why I don't like adding colors to it.

View attachment 349110

Letter spacing is still a problem here. All three words have different letter spacing, resulting in an uneven balance of the whole.

It could make sense to look for another typeface instead, with which the set words SCIENCE and REVIEW would run on the same length approximately.

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
Letter spacing is still a problem here. All three words have different letter spacing, resulting in an uneven balance of the whole.

It could make sense to look for another typeface instead, with which the set words SCIENCE and REVIEW would run on the same length approximately.

At that size, text won't be read and is merely a decoration. But I get your point.

Golf

Font »Myriad Variable Concept« for instance may do quite well for this – if one wants better balance for SCIENCE vs REVIEW:

1707740602291.png

Top Bottom