• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new and old, what's next?

k3nn3th

Hi, I would like to ask for your advice.
I have two vintage systems, and what can I do to make them modern.

System 1
Marantz sr4300 6.1
Marantz CD53

System 2
Onkyo tx-ds575x 5.1
Onkyo 7211 CD

System 3
Aiyima 07 with std power adapter

I've already made some steps for the future.
The whole cabling for me is satisfying.
The original concept was to have a home theater, yet I have time only for listening to some music. Therefore I divided the speaker system 3.0 and 2.0
I have external DACs AQDF Cobalt and the E1DA 9038D.
I can stream music via our AppleTVs.
I updated my main speakers' crossover, which became quite good.
I am not obsessed with the number of speakers.
I also have plans for a turntable, sub as well.
I think the only thing I am missing is the HDMI connection.

My problem is that such things are more expensive now than 20 years ago, and they may not sound any better. I believe we don't need to spend 1000 $€ to make our beloved system enjoyable.

If I buy anything, I only want something better, but there is no guarantee that I will make a good decision.
Shall I go forward get rid of the amps? I will sell the Cobalt for a starter.
Or do an update/modding on them? or mod only the CD players and get a new AVR with the Aiyima?

cochlea

Forum Donor
Are you unhappy with the sound quality of your systems? What is your motivation for wanting to make them “more modern?”

OP
K

k3nn3th

Are you unhappy with the sound quality of your systems? What is your motivation for wanting to make them “more modern?”
It gives me pleasure, but I also feel that there is room for improvement.
I would say the connectors. So I can use it with any format.

OP
K

k3nn3th

What speakers are you using?
My main speakers are BW 602 S2, and I bought a modkit from GR-Research. With the new crossover setup they are giving more. Now the mid has time to breathe and can work on mids instead of highs.
Others are a set of BW 603 S3 and LCR60.
I have a spare BEOVOX S45, they would need a new binding post for sure.
We have small rooms, so I guess we don't need to much power (150W< ).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not up to speed on the HDMI versions in the new receivers so it's better if one of the surround sound receiver gurus handles those details. There's a lot to selecting a surround receiver with the up to date HDMI version and future proofing as much as possible the HDMI connection.

A per your speakers they are good for what you are doing.

Something to look at is the Denon product. There is the AVR-S650H and the AVR-X2700H. The Denons are good but it is best if one of the surround sound receiver gurus give us the go ahead regarding the HDMI connection version and capability. The prices for those Denons is in Canadian dollars. I doubt you will hear a difference in sound quality compared to your present receivers but you will gain the HDMI.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I also have plans for a turntable, sub as well.
Any current AVR will have HDMI inputs and and a line-level subwoofer output (for an active/powered sub). A phono preamp ("turntable input") is more rare so you might need a phono preamp. With stereo receivers you'd have to check the features.

Do you already have a turntable & records? If not I'd advise against it. Some people enjoy vinyl and some people even enjoy the sound of vinyl but the sound quality is inferior to anything digital. A "traditional" turntable is sold without a cartridge or preamp but there are modern turntables that come ready to play with a cartridge, built-in preamp (line level outputs) and sometimes a USB port for digitizing.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you need HDMI? Its not a great connection for music. It brings in a lot of noise and their hdcp encryption means you can only use specific hardware to decrypt and decode it and companies that pay the licensing fees. And these companies care about video first not music. I would recommend using spdif or USB output from your source like your TV or PC if you can instead of HDMI.

Regarding best upgrade, If you don't have a subwoofer I always recommend adding that first. You will get much more enjoyment than any other upgrade from hearing and feeling the low bass notes that you are currently missing.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The B&O's might be a fun project. B&O had definite ideas as to how this era of speakers should sound, and neutral measuring wasn't one of them. Looking on 'Beosites' over the years showed me that owners think nothing of recapping them using better electrolytics for example and sometimes, foam cone surrounds will need replacing.

Not a fan of B&W 602 or 603's I'm afraid but if they suit your tastes *and room* then that's fine. I always felt them to be 'under-magneted' but that may just be a reaction to the presence suckout and tizzy tweeter in stock form (tooth-filling removing I remember in v2 onwards versions).

OP
K

k3nn3th

Why do you need HDMI? Its not a great connection for music. It brings in a lot of noise and their hdcp encryption means you can only use specific hardware to decrypt and decode it and companies that pay the licensing fees. And these companies care about video first not music. I would recommend using spdif or USB output from your source like your TV or PC if you can instead of HDMI.

Regarding best upgrade, If you don't have a subwoofer I always recommend adding that first. You will get much more enjoyment than any other upgrade from hearing and feeling the low bass notes that you are currently missing.
We watch movies on BD/DVD and got a gaming console, laptop, Apple TV. So the no. optical connectors are limited.

OP
K

k3nn3th

Any current AVR will have HDMI inputs and and a line-level subwoofer output (for an active/powered sub). A phono preamp ("turntable input") is more rare so you might need a phono preamp. With stereo receivers you'd have to check the features.

Do you already have a turntable & records? If not I'd advise against it. Some people enjoy vinyl and some people even enjoy the sound of vinyl but the sound quality is inferior to anything digital. A "traditional" turntable is sold without a cartridge or preamp but there are modern turntables that come ready to play with a cartridge, built-in preamp (line level outputs) and sometimes a USB port for digitizing.
I have a few records, but a turntable is not a priority.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We watch movies on BD/DVD and got a gaming console, laptop, Apple TV. So the no. optical connectors are limited.
Then it depends on your budget and needs..if you are just looking for stereo listening for those sources AND your TV has enough inputs, you could use the tv as your primary HDMI input and just send the audio out from tv optical. And save yourself from having to upgrade your receiver just for HDMI if you like everything else about it. Now if you want to improve convenience and have one Remote to do everything and always have your audio and tv turn on at the same time and switch to the right input, then a receiver with ARC HDMI is hard to beat. When I upgraded to my current AVR with HDMI and ARC the whole family could easily just use one remote and everything just worked and turned on automatically.

If that is what you are looking for then I'd check out either the Denon receivers or the NAD M33 or T778.

And still get yourself a subwoofer. :)

OP
K

k3nn3th

Then it depends on your budget and needs..if you are just looking for stereo listening for those sources AND your TV has enough inputs, you could use the tv as your primary HDMI input and just send the audio out from tv optical. And save yourself from having to upgrade your receiver just for HDMI if you like everything else about it. Now if you want to improve convenience and have one Remote to do everything and always have your audio and tv turn on at the same time and switch to the right input, then a receiver with ARC HDMI is hard to beat. When I upgraded to my current AVR with HDMI and ARC the whole family could easily just use one remote and everything just worked and turned on automatically.

If that is what you are looking for then I'd check out either the Denon receivers or the NAD M33 or T778.

And still get yourself a subwoofer. :)
Those are just too expensive. Currently I am thinking of leave it as they are but get a decent subwoofer Christmas is coming…
And I will recheck the topic in a year or two.
I think what the market offers now is just overpriced. I would gladly pay a 1000$€ if it worthy.
The Denon X2700H-X3700H looks promising, but I am still not convinced.

Top Bottom