• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Amp needed - 85% Vinyl listening

Hi there,

I need a new Amp, mainly for Vinyl listening. Listening on Triangle Elara LN05 with a Technics 1200 MK5 and AT Stylus. So the Amp hast to have a good phono pre integrated (100-200pf). Budget max 1K Euro. Any ideas?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You'll get more for your money with a receiver because they are manufactured & sold in mass quantities into a competitive market. Separate amplifiers are a specialty item with higher manufacturing & distribution costs, usually sold for a higher profit.

But you might need a separate phono preamp. (Some of the newer Technics turntables have a built-in preamp.)

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'd recommend getting a separate phono preamp to a pure power amp or an integrated amp. Then you can play/adjust as needed. Unless you really want to reduce clutter/number of components. All of my integrated amps and receivers are vintage, but if I were buying new today, I'd lean to Yamaha equipment for the price point you want. Many good options for a phono pre for $200-250 and then that leaves the rest of your budget for the amp/integrated.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I would strongly urge an external phono preamp - with more adjustable loading...! - preferably the ability to completely disable any added C loading in the phono stage - as the cabling alone will provide a minimum of 100pf - and you can easily add external loading to raise it, but cannot remove capacitance!

The AT MM's thrive on low C's (!!)

Also if the phono stage is set up for plugging in "RCA Loading plugs" - then you can easily adjust both C and R loading to get optimal results.

This is typically not possible in an integrated or receiver.

Notable exception is the new TOTL and State of the Art technics integrated SU-R1000 ... but that is well beyond the specified price range! (It comes with a test record, and can do automatic load/equalisation adjustment.... I wish that was available in an external pre!)

I use a JLTI Phono, which is modified for no onboard C load, and 100K default R (which is then lowered to whatever I need, with an RCA plug)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Easy, at least if I were you. Your speakers: Sensitivity 90dB in 8 Ohms. We assume that is correct and that they are "amp friendly". 8 Ohm indicates that this may be the case. You are using a record player. Of course vintage amp. One then in good condition, to match the style. Doesn't need to have that many W's due to the sensitivity of the speakers. :)
Although it depends on other factors as well.

When buying vintage check the condition, if it has been serviced well, if it has been refreshed with new electronic components, if that refresh is well done. Check that the transformer does not have an annoying mechanical humming sound. In addition to that, it's just a matter of going with vintage. Any recognized good vintage amp/receiver then.:D

I had also added subwoofers to those speakers. I would have put maybe 300 Euros on the amp and 700 Euros on the subwoofer, perhaps together with fixing a sensible EQ mainly for the subwoofers. But thats me. Maybe you don't think subwoofers would add anything meaningful to you?

Edit:
Who knows, in your case maybe a modest 30 W powered amp/receiver would work, for example one:

Yamaha CR-600

yamaha_cr-600_stereo_receiver (1).jpg

Attached picture test performed on one, not me who did that test.

Attachments

• 14MiQM1.jpg
    14MiQM1.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yamaha rn803d
But you better upgrade speakers first, say to Borea line.

Top Bottom