• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New amp for Kef Refence 1 speakers

OP
T

tonapo

If you want a high quality Hypex NCore amp build, Audiophonics in France make great builds (also with Purifi, that was tested here with very high scores).
Thank you, yes, I have had on my list previously, but it becomes more expensive importing into the UK unfortunately.

How about the topping pa3 !
Thank you, though I think I would prefer xlr ideally.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is PA5 still being recommended?
Because some people are still oversimplifying amp recommendations to a single SINAD number?... :p

@tonapo, the AHB2 is indeed a piece of engineering art, but it is far from the most interesting offer when it comes to power/performance/price ratio.

The C298 is a good catch...
As is the M23...
Or the boXem Arthur Purifi
Or the Audiophonics Purifi/Ncores
Or Nord Purifi/Ncores
Or Rouge Purifi/Ncores
Or Apollon Purifi/Ncores
Or... I think you got it! ;)

Each proposal could be "the" way to go, and should give you premium performance, with enough power to push Reference 1s to their absolute limits. My take: go by specific features, build quality, warranty, or aesthetics !

antcollinet

Master Contributor
If considering a hypex based amp, check out KJF audio based in Stockport. They have a range of nice looking amps in both mono and stereo versions.

They were very responsive when I contacted them with questions. My amp purchase is currently on hold, but if I buy it will be from them.

Jukebox

I have C298 for more than a year and it's perfect. Powered with great success Kef R3, Audio Physics Tempo 35, Q Acoustics Concept 300, Cabasse Minorca 40, MBL 126 to name a few

Waxx

Major Contributor
If considering a hypex based amp, check out KJF audio based in Stockport. They have a range of nice looking amps in both mono and stereo versions.

They were very responsive when I contacted them with questions. My amp purchase is currently on hold, but if I buy it will be from them.
That hypex amp they sell is more or less the same as the Audiophonics i bought (the Hypex NC122NP module in a custom case), only way more expensive. But if you think it's easier or cheaper to buy there, KJF is a reputed diy dealer, and the amp is great like all Ncore amps. It could be good for the waranty to buy there in stead of at Audiophonics in the EU.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
That hypex amp they sell is more or less the same as the Audiophonics i bought (the Hypex NC122NP module in a custom case), only way more expensive. But if you think it's easier or cheaper to buy there, KJF is a reputed diy dealer, and the amp is great like all Ncore amps. It could be good for the waranty to buy there in stead of at Audiophonics in the EU.
I'm not sure it's much more expensive - prices seem pretty similar (or lower) to audiophonics for amps based on the same modules. However it is assmebled in the UK, so there are no issues with shipping or import.

I also think they look better than the audiophonics versions.

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
I'm not sure it's much more expensive - prices seem pretty similar (or lower) to audiophonics for amps based on the same modules. However it is assmebled in the UK, so there are no issues with shipping or import.

I also think they look better than the audiophonics versions.
I see on the audiophonics with that Hypex NC122NP module i pay 403€ (tax and transport included), for the KJF version, shipping to the UK it 770€ (local tax included) and to Belgium 650€ taxes and transport not included (count another 25% for TVA and import tax for us, and about 25€ for shipping) for basicly the same amp, but in a different box.

I don't know how much import tax and so you pay when you order from France, but KJF is very reputable, so probally indeed a better deal if you live in the UK. And if you like the box more, even better. Appart from the cosmetics, it looks like it's the same amp, just different branded.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I see on the audiophonics with that Hypex NC122NP module i pay 403€ (tax and transport included), for the KJF version, shipping to the UK it 770€ (local tax included) and to Belgium 650€ taxes and transport not included (count another 25% for TVA and import tax for us, and about 25€ for shipping) for basicly the same amp, but in a different box.

I don't know how much import tax and so you pay when you order from France, but KJF is very reputable, so probally indeed a better deal if you live in the UK. And if you like the box more, even better. Appart from the cosmetics, it looks like it's the same amp, just different branded.
I think comparing pre tax makes more sense, as the cheapest way to compare cost into the UK is to have it shipped tax free, so that VAT is collected by UK on import. Otherwise you pay VAT twice.

I was also comparing at the higher power end (since that is what I am more interested in. The audiphonics 500W variant in the small case is EUR649, and in the more expensive case is EUR832. The KJF equivalent is £690 - EUR784.

To the audiophonics cost we need to add about EUR 18 for shipping, and then another EUR15 for the tax handling fee the carrier will charge.

Shipping from KJF inside UK is about EUR10 - but with a zero cost colletion option also.

Given that the KJF has a more expensive (or at least more expensive looking with wood front panel options) case - I think that makes the cost pretty comparable after shipping (110 more than the small case, and 70 cheaper than the large case, and and also explains the bigger disparity at lower power ratings where the case is a higher proportion of the overall cost)

Then add the cost implications of shipping back to france in the case of problems - and for me at least - it is a no brainer.

OP
T

tonapo

Thanks again for all the replies.
The C298 is a good catch...
As is the M23...
Thanks - I had noted the M23 too @VintageFlanker . The C298 is £1749 at my local hifi shop, and the M23 is £3399, so quite a difference. I understand the casework is better, but other than that, is there much differece? Am I likely to notice a difference between the two?

Or the boXem Arthur Purifi
Or the Audiophonics Purifi/Ncores
Or Nord Purifi/Ncores
Or Rouge Purifi/Ncores
Or Apollon Purifi/Ncores
Nord is the only real option here in the UK (if I did not want to import, which I don't think I do). The Nord Three SE 1ET400A MKII Dual Mono Stereo Amp is £2098 or the Nord One NC500DM Dual Mono is £1174.

I am not sure about the DIY route, and I am still waiting to here back on the Benchmark from a local dealer in the UK.

So from these choices, I think I prefer the NAD or Benchmark options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom