• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New amp Choice

Which amp should I buy?

• MX-A5200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adcom GFA-585se

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hc_416

Hey guys,

New to the forums and want to say hello and ask some advice. I have read some of the reviews and am impressed the comprehensive specs and testing done. With that being said, I would like to ask what would be a better buy for my system? I have a Yamaha rx a8a and really enjoy it. I had a Sunfire Grand Arc that was 425x5, but it gave out and is no longer working. At the moment I am running a simple 5.1 for home streaming/ blue ray movies, and then I do pure direct for two channel music. The front three speakers are Polk LISM, 707 l/r and 706c center. The rear surrounds are Polk rtia 12. I want to replace the Sunfire with either a two channel amp and run the rest off the Yamaha or a three channel for the front three for good voice matching and amp performance. The amps that I have been looking at are

Nord One NC500DM MKII 3 Channel​

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT54XNC Series​

These are two class d amps that seem to test well. They do have different power supply's so if any owners could chime in it would be appreciated.

MX-A5200​

Adcom GFA-585se

These are two class a/b I was looking at as well. I really like the at54xnc, low heat, high power, not bad looking. I am not really sure how a class d will work with my yamaha rx a8a. Also price is to be considered but I would just work a few more hours OT to get the right amp. Thanks in advance.

OP
H

hc_416

So your Yamaha RX-A8A doesn't have enough power to drive your system (in 5.1 mode)?
It sounds good at normal levels; when listening at high lvls it sounds strained. I also plan some type of speaker upgrade as well.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Another amp option to consider:

He's an ASR member. His primary build thread is here:

Amir has measured a couple of his amps.

OP
H

hc_416

I take it nobody has compared these amps, am I off kilter or should look at a different setting?

OP
H

hc_416

Hey guys, just wanted to update what I got. I bought the ati amp! It is a very nice, clean sounding amp. I would also it call quick as well; the note hits then done. Very different from my sunrfire grand arc, and a8a. I am now looking at speakers. I was looking at the polk audio l800, but with this amp I can't run them. I am now looking at polk audio l600, Martian Logan xt60 and paradigm f100. I would eventually get a 5.1 setup going as well as using for 2 channel when jamming out. I would like to do a 5.2.4 when all is said and done. As of now I have a 5.1. My amp, processor and TV have been upgraded as well as gig internet for streaming and media sharing.

OP
H

hc_416

Hey guys,

Just another update on my speaker journey. I purchased a monolith 13 inch, THX cert, 2000 watt amp to go with my ATI NCore amp. I am currently waiting for delivery of the sub, which should be on April 5th.

The ATI is very clean, clear, and precise; it also has a lot head room for my Lism 707. I do have to say the Lism go pretty well with the amp and can use all the power, which was a surprise to me. The reason I feel they go good together is the Lism are a "warm" speaker, which seems to go good with a cool/clean sounding amp. I choose to go with the 13 in mono for a few reasons. 1. I wanted a small enough woofer to keep up with music and have very deep base. The measurements from Audioholic show decay time from 30hz up to be very good and under the required 1.5 cycle min to be considered a "fast" woofer. 2. The output below 30 is a little slower but the trade off is a very high spl, design's are trade offs and I liked this one. Also a lot of the articulate bass would be a little higher in the range i.e. 50 to 100 hz, so it seems like a good to great trade off. 3. The amount of head room for movies is a real plus, my wife and I like to watch a lot of shows/movies that have Dolby in them so the sub had to be able to do double duty.

Feel free to ask me any question, I'm open for discussion or ideas how to set it up in my small room!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Hey guys, just wanted to update what I got. I bought the ati amp!
I can only say that you made a masterful decision! :cool:

OP
H

hc_416

I forgot to mention it is all being fed by a yamaha A8A. I have had yamaha for years and like the sound, also in some distance future the a8a will get all the hdmi 2.1 features. As of now I just us arc/earc to feed it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom