• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New All-in-one amplifier

sitherion

Weighing in a bit on this conversation. First, somebody said there is no sub out on the 1120. There is and it works very well.
60w is enough for speaker above 91DB sensibility, IMHO.
I was able to compare room perfect versus Dirac, and it’s no match. You should really make sure it’s set up properly, then compare it to other amplifier .
I don’t think anyone can really expect a wow effect with an amplifier. An amp is an amp, it won’t change the nature of your sound, except a very bad one: your room , your speakers will.
But trying room perfect, I really did get this wow effect. Make sure the room correction is set up properly (that’s no easy task, you have to put in the right delay for the sub), to 100%, then compare without it. I’m sure you will end up keeping the 1120.

I meant to say "not a dedicated" subwoofer output but rather a generic one. I feel, and might be wrong, that a dedicated sub out offers better results. But that's pure assumption from my part.

RoA

You could just buy a s/h CCA and connect to the Node.

Don't buy the Lyngdorf. If it is nagging you now it will do even more in the future. Bass is a major part of reproduction and your NAD is still a very good amplifier.

Class D bass can be very different from AB, depending on implementation. Not every one likes super delineated, dry bass. The problem often is that there seems to be a disconnect between lower bass and mids due to lack of a little 'bloom' in the upper bass.

The result may be clearer but not necessarily preferable.

On another forum the following has found love with quite a few owners of disillusioned Higher end (classic) Naim systems. A lot cheaper than the Lyngdorf too;

https://petertyson.co.uk/yamaha-r-n...sHtlkBICioLsfUcAkGt91Jyh_G841ejhoCl44QAvD_BwE

If built in Room Correction is not an absolute necessity I would also look at Audiolab's superb 6000a Play. Fantastic build and a control hub for most things. It sounds more powerful than its wattage suggests with particular good bass. There are many reviews and I think its a steal for the money

https://www.audiolab.co.uk/6000a-play/

Last edited:

Digital_Thor

I had precisely the NAD 114 + 216 combo too, with some cheaper Dali speakers until I ended up with the Evidence 870. Clearly the sound was better when removing the 114. So I bought the S300, which I mostly liked. Still missing something and the pot was not very precise... clearly heard at lower volumes. Now running a fully active system and can never see myself go back.
The better control in the bass, is like a double edged sword. Of course it will give you some new perspective on the sound of your entire music collection, but I also believe a more precise sound image, will be the best choice in the long run - less listening fatigue.
Dali uses rather light woofers in a ported design - and even with some extra power and EQ - they will not play deeper - louder for sure.
Having an amplifier with some kind of EQ/DSP or maybe even a bi-amplfied solution or with subwoofers, might give you a more refined experience.
You can actually simulate your room in REW or measure it, to find the room-mode and dampen it a bit. This will clear up the sound a lot.

quattr0

Hello everyone

My name is Sebastian and I have an old system from my days as a student, which consists of and NAD 114 + 216 combo together with Dali 850 speakers. I have later added a Cambridge DacMagic for digital audio.

With age comes comfort and while I am still happy about the sound of my system, then it is a bother to use. No remote control of the sound. No streaming capabilities so I have to use the TV as medium.

Original I planned to change everything and get a smaller amplifier and bookshelf speaker, but when I was at the local hifi shop I really missed my Dali 850. So I have tried to come up with another solution. My Dali 850 is quite power hungry and needs a decent amp.
I also like HDMI Arc for connecting my TV and streaming capabilities.
The only product I have found that matches the criteria is Cambridge Audio Evo 150
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/row/en/products/evo/evo-150

As an alternative I have also look at the NAD C298 poweramp but I have been unable to find a preamp that supports both HDMI Arc and Chromecast.
https://nadelectronics.com/product/c298-stereo-power-amplifier/

I must say I am really drawn to the Evo 150. It looks nice and have everything I need but it is a lot to pay. On the other hand will a NAD C298 + preamp properly be same or more.

I hope you can give your thoughts on this matter :)

Thank you.
Sebastian

I believe you're going to be disappointed if you're happy with the current sound and thinking about getting the Lyngdorf.

I currently own tdai-3400. RoomPerfect is not for me. Take a listen at the two attached files with decent headphones and you should be able to tell why.

As @Vict0r suggests, since you're happy with the current sound, all you need is the Raspberry Pi for streaming. I cannot tell the difference when listening from my Pi4 with symphonic-mpd installed and the built-in streamer from tdai-3400.

My tdai-3400 is also for sale btw ;-)

Attachments

• STE-004-RP2ndTime.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 130
OP
A

Aslund

You could just buy a s/h CCA and connect to the Node.

Don't buy the Lyngdorf. If it is nagging you now it will do even more in the future. Bass is a major part of reproduction and your NAD is still a very good amplifier.

Class D bass can be very different from AB, depending on implementation. Not every one likes super delineated, dry bass. The problem often is that there seems to be a disconnect between lower bass and mids due to lack of a little 'bloom' in the upper bass.

The result may be clearer but not necessarily preferable.

On another forum the following has found love with quite a few owners of disillusioned Higher end (classic) Naim systems. A lot cheaper than the Lyngdorf too;

https://petertyson.co.uk/yamaha-r-n...sHtlkBICioLsfUcAkGt91Jyh_G841ejhoCl44QAvD_BwE

If built in Room Correction is not an absolute necessity I would also look at Audiolab's superb 6000a Play. Fantastic build and a control hub for most things. It sounds more powerful than its wattage suggests with particular good bass. There are many reviews and I think its a steal for the money

https://www.audiolab.co.uk/6000a-play/

Thanks for the input RoA. It has been a little bit of a rollercoaster ride borrowing the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. I really love it for its sound, separation and bass control. Luckily I was allowed to keep it until Tuesday, so I spend my Monday forgetting about comparing and just sitting down and listen through a lot of different tracks with the Lyngdorf. It really blew my away but I had one problem. My Dali 850 are huge speakers and with the better and sharper bass control of the Lyngdorf the bass seemed to be more piercing. Not by sound but actual physical feeling in my chest. The Dali also seem to have a reputation with a strong but not very accurate bass. It never bothered me with the NAD's warmer and softer sound, but it seem to be prominent with the Lyngdorf.
I really like to try to go with Lyngdorf, I love the sound, but somehow it seem as a wrong pairing with Dali 850. I am therefore thinking to get some new speakers also that are more balanced and refined than my current ones. Simply jumping headlong into the lions den.
I was recommended to use 4 ohms speakers with Lyngdorf, which limits the potential list of speakers, but I have found some interesting ones. I especially like QR5 and Sonus Faber for the downward bass port.
DALI OPTICON 6 MK2 - Clear, undistorted and enjoyable (dali-speakers.com)
Dynaudio Emit 50 - Your hi-fi journey starts here
QR 5 – Audiovector
Luxury Professional Stand Loudspeaker Sonetto III | Sonus faber
Compact Tower Speaker with Minimalist Design Lumina III | Sonus faber

OP
A

Aslund

I had precisely the NAD 114 + 216 combo too, with some cheaper Dali speakers until I ended up with the Evidence 870. Clearly the sound was better when removing the 114. So I bought the S300, which I mostly liked. Still missing something and the pot was not very precise... clearly heard at lower volumes. Now running a fully active system and can never see myself go back.
The better control in the bass, is like a double edged sword. Of course it will give you some new perspective on the sound of your entire music collection, but I also believe a more precise sound image, will be the best choice in the long run - less listening fatigue.
Dali uses rather light woofers in a ported design - and even with some extra power and EQ - they will not play deeper - louder for sure.
Having an amplifier with some kind of EQ/DSP or maybe even a bi-amplfied solution or with subwoofers, might give you a more refined experience.
You can actually simulate your room in REW or measure it, to find the room-mode and dampen it a bit. This will clear up the sound a lot.
Hey Digital Thor. Thank you for your input. I am sorry, but I do not see the double edged sword. Sounds to you that a better bass control only has upsides?

OP
A

Aslund

I believe you're going to be disappointed if you're happy with the current sound and thinking about getting the Lyngdorf.

I currently own tdai-3400. RoomPerfect is not for me. Take a listen at the two attached files with decent headphones and you should be able to tell why.

As @Vict0r suggests, since you're happy with the current sound, all you need is the Raspberry Pi for streaming. I cannot tell the difference when listening from my Pi4 with symphonic-mpd installed and the built-in streamer from tdai-3400.

My tdai-3400 is also for sale btw ;-)
Hey Quattr0. I hope you read this without immediately grapping your pitchfork and torch, but I don't hear a big different. And with my poor headphones the Room Perfect recording sounds quite nice.

outlookrt

The 2 Lyngdorf pre-outputs are for subwoofers and actually extremely advanced ones controlled by the DSP.
Lyngdorf themself offer speaker systems that use small speakers combined with stereo subs that are then crossedover and corrected inside the tdai. Delay and distance for both sub and mains can be done. This then can be further integrated via RP.
So much more than a basic 'sub out'.
Couple quick screenshot from the interface. It is pre programmed with various combinations using Lyngdorfs own speakers but can also be applied to custom ones.

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 14.22.16.png
Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 14.22.34.png

I'm interested in running a discreet 2.1 or 2.2 system in my small living room which is what's drawn me to the Lyngdorf.
My current demo has really impressed me with it's functionality. Sounds is good too!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 14.22.34.png
    570.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 14.22.34.png
    570.6 KB · Views: 107

Digital_Thor

Hey Digital Thor. Thank you for your input. I am sorry, but I do not see the double edged sword. Sounds to you that a better bass control only has upsides?
Sorry - my bad. What I meant, was that some music can sound a bit more boring to some, when the bass become more precise.
To me, it is simply a matter of taste and a bit of time to adapt. Now I just accept that some music can be a little tame in the sound - and sometimes I use the 4 presets on my remote to adjust the sound a bit to fit a given music style - but most often I keep it neutral.
If you acknowledge the more neutral sound - you'll be fine and you will only have upsides :)

quattr0

Hey Quattr0. I hope you read this without immediately grapping your pitchfork and torch, but I don't hear a big different. And with my poor headphones the Room Perfect recording sounds quite nice.

For me, the bass in RP/Lyngdorf is not as soft and lacking low end. The kick is there but the low end from bass guitar is not as good as RME+Denon combo. Which headphones do you use? Mine is 10y old Bose and I could hear the diff.

But if it works out for you...that's what matters.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me, the bass in RP/Lyngdorf is not as soft and lacking low end. The kick is there but the low end from bass guitar is not as good as RME+Denon combo. Which headphones do you use? Mine is 10y old Bose and I could hear the diff.

But if it works out for you...that's what matters.
Just create a "Voicing" curve (PEQ) and boost the bass in any way you like.

andrew

Maybe the Raspberry Pi4 platform is worth looking in to? It supports HDMI ARC and CEC. You could hook up whichever USB DAC and amp you like, and leave all the media/streaming to the Pi4. It'll be a bit of a project, though, but there is so much information out there that I'm sure you'd manage. :)
Just found this post and interested in understanding. Is it correct to infer that it's possible to set-up a Raspberry Pi to that, connected to a TV eARC output, it can output digital or analog audio that is volume controlled (by the TV remote)? And, if so, then any suggestions as to the 'recipe'? The reason for the question is that, like the thread starter, I'm running stereo speakers and would like to integrate TV in a manner than allows use of the TV remote volume control which, I think, means using an HDMI eARC / ARC / CEC device. I would, ideally, re-purpose an existing Raspberry Pi4 setup with Pi2AES. Is this possible? If so, then it'd be great as it'd avoid a significant spend on an AVR or streamer such as those mentioned above.

andrew

What, if any, new options are there in late 2023 that solve the problem of driving stereo speakers with support for HDMI eARC / ARC / CEC? My ideal unit is a single box that has a streamer / pre-amp section which supports HDMI eARC+CEC, Roon Ready & Room Correction alongside a power amp section with high-power Purifi / nCore amp. It appears that all the options have low power amp sections (my speakers go to 2Ohms and require high power + current) so, that being the case, it'd be good to have both pre-amp & subwoofer outputs or a separate streamer / pre-amp section. Any recommendations in late 2023?

Top Bottom