• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Affordable Accuracy Monitor from Philharmonic Audio?

chych7

Just saw that Dennis has a new Affordable Accuracy kit:

Looks super easy to build and gives you a lot for what it is. Anyone buying? Would be real interested in seeing the measurements.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Dennis Murphy I read on the AVSforum where you said this was available with leathered cabinet. I wasn't sure whether you were serious or joking. If you are offering leather, do you have a photo to share?

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ohhh... Now make a Philharmonic center speaker for a full 5.x Accuracy surround setup! <3

OP
C

chych7

Ohhh... Now make a Philharmonic center speaker for a full 5.x Accuracy surround setup! <3

A low profile 3-way BMR center would be nice. The BMR is physically small, which would support a WTMW design with low height.

mightycicadalord

The biggest drawback with these will always be that dc28f. Hated it with the stock dayton xover with the kit and still hated it after the older AA mod. The dc160 is great, but bleh OK the tweeter.

mjgeorge

I've been living with a pair of the new affordable accuracy monitors from @Dennis Murphy for about a week and a half now. I think they sound fantastic, especially for the price. I agree that the star of the show seems to be the DC160-8, but I have absolutely no complaints up top. It just sounds natural from top to bottom.

sychan

Forum Donor
A low profile 3-way BMR center would be nice. The BMR is physically small, which would support a WTMW design with low height.

When people use the BMR for a center, they generally rotate the tweeter 90 degrees and it's done.

sychan

Forum Donor
@Dennis Murphy I read on the AVSforum where you said this was available with leathered cabinet. I wasn't sure whether you were serious or joking. If you are offering leather, do you have a photo to share?

I'm certain it was a joke, the basic premise of the the AAM is that you buy the BR1 kit from PE and Dennis provides the crossover magic. Nobody has a premade leathered BR1 cabinet.

OP
C

chych7

When people use the BMR for a center, they generally rotate the tweeter 90 degrees and it's done.
I was thinking more of a vertically aligned tweeter/BMR, which would avoid any comb filtering issues of horizontally adjacent drivers.

Larry B. Larabee

Just saw that Dennis has a new Affordable Accuracy kit:

Looks super easy to build and gives you a lot for what it is. Anyone buying? Would be real interested in seeing the measurements.
This does look super easy to build. So easy in fact I bet it could be assembled at the factory in the time it takes to individually wrap each component and pack it properly to avoid damage, count the screws, test the drivers one at a time, answer questions from customers about what goes where if they get confused.

Walter

This does look super easy to build. So easy in fact I bet it could be assembled at the factory in the time it takes to individually wrap each component and pack it properly to avoid damage, count the screws, test the drivers one at a time, answer questions from customers about what goes where if they get confused.
It seems to me as if maybe they are doing this as a kit so as to offer something at a budget price for people who can't afford the BMR, without making it quite so obvious that this is almost a charity or hobby project for Dennis. I'm sure they make a small profit, as they can buy the components at dealer prices, but it can't be much.

Larry B. Larabee

On the other hand, if the intention is to allow the (novice) audiophile (maybe even along with his kid helping) to get a sense of satisfaction from personal involvement in a project and being able to say, 'I built this!' then I'm all for it.

Buey

On the other hand, if the intention is to allow the (novice) audiophile (maybe even along with his kid helping) to get a sense of satisfaction from personal involvement in a project and being able to say, 'I built this!' then I'm all for it.
I'm a novice, not handy at all, and I spent maybe about 15 minutes per speaker. These things are so easy to build they barely qualify as DIY, and wouldn't really count as a project.

I'd really be interested to see how these measure up to the comparable monitors in the $1k range, as the website states. Being a novice (started late last year) I've only heard a few speakers.

TurtlePaul

It seems to me as if maybe they are doing this as a kit so as to offer something at a budget price for people who can't afford the BMR, without making it quite so obvious that this is almost a charity or hobby project for Dennis. I'm sure they make a small profit, as they can buy the components at dealer prices, but it can't be much.

I bought and assembled these this week. They sound pretty great. They have a good midrange with perhaps slightly rolled off highs. I may throw up some measurements when my UMIK arrives at the end of the week. They sound much better / less bright than my 20 year old Ascend CBM-170 (non-SE). Bass is respectable, I am running them without a sub now to break them in a little, may try to integrate the sub this week. A sub it isn't needed for anything but electo-music or action movies.

A lot of crossover components go into calming the tweeter. Five components are in the woofer circuit which includes a second-order electric and baffle step. I think that is the minimum you can do and the woofer circuit benefits from the DC160's tame natural roll-off. On the other hand, nine components are filtering the tweeter which I believe is targeting third order electric with a notch and roll-off.

Part of the idea of the kit is that Dennis is able to to source everything externally with assembly by the end user. I liked the project aspect, but I imagine that is also keeps down the cost. I do suspect that Dennis is doing this to get more good speakers out there and not really making a profit. When you order these, larger components come from Parts Express, while Dennis mails you a smaller box with various accessories including the crossovers (sourced from Bennic). I imagine that this way, the kit benefits from the economies of scale of the BR-1 kit and the logistics capabilities of Parts Express.

Part of the appeal for me is not really that I am cheap (although I AM cheap) as I could certainly afford BMRs easily. However, I have a three year old and a newborn child, and these allowed me to upgrade my speakers without having to worry about them getting damaged by little hands. I imagine that somewhere down the line I will need to do repairs, but at $15 per diaphragm, it will be a learning experience for the kids and not an aneurysm for dad. If a kid broke a Raal...

My one advice for assembly is that I would change the order vs. what is listed in the instructions - I would put the dampening material into the cabinet before installing the tweeters as the sticky silk domes would gladly catch any dust which stirs up as you squeeze the 12" denim dampening sheets into the 6" woofer hole.

Last edited:

Buey

You know, I never thought to ask - but don't these sticky domes get dusty over time? Does that affect the sound? I suppose I'll leave the grilles on to reduce the amount of dust they accumulate.

TurtlePaul

You know, I never thought to ask - but don't these sticky domes get dusty over time? Does that affect the sound? I suppose I'll leave the grilles on to reduce the amount of dust they accumulate.
Sticky domes can get dusty over time. While it can be unsightly, it only effects the audio quality to the extent it changes the moving mass of the speaker driver. While the voice coils, silk and dampening material in these tweeters is only a couple of grams, the weight is still orders of magnitude more than the weight of airborne dust.

TurtlePaul

Here is a measurement of the affordable accuracy kit in my room. Very good response above the area where my room is dominating (they are too close to the wall, my room is smaller and irregularly shaped. For these measurements there is no toe-in, so this is about 20 degrees off the speaker axis. I am showing a +/- 2 dB trend line.

1644673364034.png

Lurrus

As a newbie in the audio scene, I am seriously considering purchasing these New Affordable Accuracy as my first Hi-Fi desktop system for my computer.

I am planning to purchase the Topping DX3 Pro+ and the Aiyima A07 Speaker Amplifier as well with these speakers.

What do you guys think of the combo? Would you consider this to be the best bang for the buck for $700?

Lurrus

@Dennis Murphy Please let me know what you think as well.

I sent you an email and private message regarding the speaker purchase. Thanks.

TurtlePaul

I have been completely satisfied with the sound of these speakers, however I note that you say "desktop". My one piece of advice is to look at the dimensions of the speakers. The old saying goes "there is no replacement for displacement" and these get quite low in the bass, but they get there with quite big cabinets. The desk space taken by each speaker is just a little bit larger than a standard 8.5"x11" letter sheet of paper, so make sure you have that much desk space to spare on either side of your monitor (if this is what you are implying with the word desktop). If you have the space I think you will enjoy the speakers.

I am using a pair of yoga blocks under each speaker as affordable speaker risers to get the tweeters up to ear height, depending on how high your desk is.

Top Bottom