• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New (2021) RME Fireface UCX II

aroom

Sorry, no brightness control planned.
I've quickly checked the manual but is there an option to make the screen as dim/faint as possible ? If no brightness control is possible, maybe an option to be able to select a blank or minimalist screen output display.

This would be nice in live setup on stage, to avoid to have to put gaffer tape on the screen.

Trell

Major Contributor
I've quickly checked the manual but is there an option to make the screen as dim/faint as possible ? If no brightness control is possible, maybe an option to be able to select a blank or minimalist screen output display.

This would be nice in live setup on stage, to avoid to have to put gaffer tape on the screen.

I just got the UCX II today and in daylight adjusting the LCD Contrast from 0 to 20 reduces the brightness a little.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I would imagine the output can hit the full +19 dBu starting from somewhere around 100 ohms, so expect approx. 157 mW. (Julian Krause has yet to measure an interface with more than approximately half that, so it's no slouch.)

Seems that in keeping with RME's tradition, they've squeezed basically datasheet-level performance out of the converters, too. To be fair, the (midrange) parts chosen are not exactly glamourous, but combined with the analog gain setting choices they should easily get the job done in practice.

Today I received the UCX II and for sure is loud enough with my Beyerdynamics DT-880 Edition, 250 Ohm, during testing. Sounds great! Won't replace my ADI-2 DAC fs for output to headphones/monitors as I like and use the features of the ADI-2, in particular the RME implementation of Dynamic Loudness.

the0bs3rv3r

Mine gets significantly hotter than ADI-2 DAC fs v.2, I cannot measure, but subjectively it is 3 times hotter than the DAC with the included rubber legs attached. Should I be worried? Can anyone confirm the same happening to their unit?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Mine has been ON, 24/7 for the last month and it’s not even warm to the touch. I use it like 1 hour a day and during mixing days like 4 hours. It’s sitting on my desk with really good ventilation, though.

Trell

Major Contributor
Mine is a little warm to the touch on the top and warmer underneath, but not really hot. It’s placed on top of my ADI-2 DAC FS (that is also powered on), but the feet I use on the UCX II are small aluminum ones that gives a 10 mm clearing. The supplied are just too small, in my opinion.

The UCX II is specified to draw 13 W at typical use and that of course will generate heat.

Trell

Major Contributor
In the RME UCX II manual for Windows there is a section "7.3 Option WDM Devices" about configuring Windows WDM in the Fireface Windows ASIO driver that does not match the settings dialogue shown earlier in the manual nor what I see in the settings dialogue on my Windows PC.

I wonder if I've misconfigured or misunderstood something as all I get is to select the number of WDM devices. The dropbox only shows a list from 0 to 10, while the manual speaks about 15 stereo devices as well as choose stereo or multi-channel devices.

The driver is the latest available on the RME site: Version 1.212 released 2021-05-04.
The firmware on the device is the latest as published on the RME site and I've not flashed the device: SW version 24, 03/2021.

The manual says:

>>>
7.3 Option WDM Devices

The area WDM Devices gives configuration access, a status display showing the number of
currently enabled WDM devices, and a listbox to choose Stereo or Multi-Channel devices. The
number represents both record and playback devices, so ‘1’ means one input and one output
device.

WDM streaming is Microsoft's current driver and audio system, directly embedded into the oper-
ating system.

Several programs do not offer any direct device selection. Instead they use the playback device
selected in Windows under <Control Panel/ Sound/ Playback>.

Activating all 15 stereo devices at once may cause temporary freezing or ‘not responding’
effects. Therefore activate only the ones which are really needed.

After leaving the dialog with OK the WDM devices are reloaded so Windows sees their new
properties.
<<<

But my settings only show a dropbox, and selecting different devices does only that:

1634923255942.png

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Copy and paste error, I'll fix this today. The UCX II driver does not offer stereo or multichannel device selection. Instead it is automatic and/or steered via the Loudspeaker configuration.

Trell

Major Contributor
Copy and paste error, I'll fix this today. The UCX II driver does not offer stereo or multichannel device selection. Instead it is automatic and/or steered via the Loudspeaker configuration.

Another typo, I guess, in the manual where it should be Fireface instead of MADIface. It would be nice if all the snapshots of programs (like Settings) where in English and not German for the English version of the manual.

>>>
9.1 General

Start the ASIO software and select ASIO MADIface USB as the audio I/O device or the ASIO
audio driver.
<<<

>>>
6.2 De-Installing the Drivers
[snip]
Click on the entry 'RME MADIface'.
<<<

Trell

Major Contributor
Mine is a little warm to the touch on the top and warmer underneath, but not really hot. It’s placed on top of my ADI-2 DAC FS (that is also powered on), but the feet I use on the UCX II are small aluminum ones that gives a 10 mm clearing. The supplied are just too small, in my opinion.

The UCX II is specified to draw 13 W at typical use and that of course will generate heat.

I made a temperature measurement with one probe on top of the UCX II and one underneath (between the DAC and UCX II, but touching the UCX II). I was playing using the UCX II as sound card connected to the DAC with ADAT and out to my monitors. They've been on for hours but playing about an hour or so.

Ambient temperature: 26 C
UCX II top plate temperature: 32 C
UCX II bottom plate temperature: 43 C

Edit: The placement of the probes was in the center. These are simple thermometers with a specified (non-calibrated) +-1 C, and good enough for this test.

Last edited:

the0bs3rv3r

So I’ve been able to measure top plate’s temp of my device when it sits on top of my DAC.

I see temps (using a contactless thermometer) in range from 40.1° C to 41.5° C, while bottom plate is hotter it is beyond the measure range of my thermometer.

Does it look abnormal @MC_RME ?

Taswegian

So I'm trying to work out what cables I need for this device when I order it. For my powered studio monitors, is it best to run balanced TRS to XLR cables from 2 separate line outs on the rear of the UCX II to the balanced XLR inputs on my monitors L and R individually. Or split the signal from a single TRS line out into unbalanced 1/4" TS for L and R monitor? My monitors accept balanced XLR and both balanced and unbalanced 1/4".

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The only single TRS line out is the phones out, and I doubt you want to use (block) that one...

Taswegian

The only single TRS line out is the phones out, and I doubt you want to use (block) that one...
pg. 42 of the manual,

"20. Analog Outputs
20.1 Line
The short circuit protected, low impedance line outputs of channels 1 to 6 are available as 1/4" TRS jacks on the back of the unit. The electronic output stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly."

I'm not sure where the confusion is. Do I run my monitors from two of the outputs mentioned above?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
pg. 42 of the manual,

"20. Analog Outputs
20.1 Line
The short circuit protected, low impedance line outputs of channels 1 to 6 are available as 1/4" TRS jacks on the back of the unit. The electronic output stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly."

I'm not sure where the confusion is. Do I run my monitors from two of the outputs mentioned above?
Yes, that is the only way. Line Out 1 is Left and Line Out 2 is Right. I use Mogami Gold Studio TRS to XLR cables.

HerbertWest

I’d have a quick question: is it possible to combine two line outs (eg 1 and 2 balanced on the back) into a single mono signal with a Y cable (2M to 1F) ? Same as combining the two XLR outs of an ADI2 pro to gain 3dB of SNR. Thanks.

Top Bottom