• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New (2021) RME Fireface UCX II

raoulst

The original UCX has been released in 2012 (mine is still working great btw). The UCX II in 2021. Maybe a UCX III might still take a while…

Trell

Major Contributor
I know, but "no longer available" means "discontinued", not " we do't know when it will be available".

There was a similar question for the ADI-2 FS (not DAC or Pro) with respect to Thomann on RME user forums and RME replied it was not discontinued and blamed supply chain issues as I recall.

Perhaps Thomann is tired of "When is the ADI-2 DAC FS available" mails? :)

Hopefully @MC_RME can clarify.

spnc

Well that's a bummer @MC_RME as I was about to order now and not in *X/Y/Z* months.

You're the only mainstream audio company having such crazy delays, what's the deal??

Or is it discontinued for good???

Screenshot 2022-07-16 at 01.52.31.png

Trell

Major Contributor
Well that's a bummer @MC_RME as I was about to order now and not in *X/Y/Z* months.

You're the only mainstream audio company having such crazy delays, what's the deal??

View attachment 218457

UXC II was released a year ago and is a major update from the previous UCX. It’s a great audio interface. No way it is discontinued.

On the other hand I’m happy that I got my UCX II last autumn.

Discontinued RME products are listed here:

Last edited:

philosobyte

View attachment 218457
I've been looking primarily into getting a Babyface Pro FS or a MOTU Ultralite mk5 amd both are listed with similar stock delays on B&H (August/September 2022). I'm not sure whether that's a coincidence or if it's related to both RME and MOTU making heavy use of ESS chips in their interfaces.

ESS probably has a lot on their plate after some manufacturers (including RME) switched to them after the 2020 AKM fire. Interestingly, Focusrite did not switch their Clarett range to ESS and instead went with Cirrus Logic.

IMO it's not fair to pin this on RME given the shortage in top-end chips.

Trell

Major Contributor
I've been looking primarily into getting a Babyface Pro FS or a MOTU Ultralite mk5 amd both are listed with similar stock delays on B&H (August/September 2022). I'm not sure whether that's a coincidence or if it's related to both RME and MOTU making heavy use of ESS chips in their interfaces.

ESS probably has a lot on their plate after some manufacturers (including RME) switched to them after the 2020 AKM fire. Interestingly, Focusrite did not switch their Clarett range to ESS and instead went with Cirrus Logic.

IMO it's not fair to pin this on RME given the shortage in top-end chips.
The UCX II has AKM for DAC and ADC, and I recall RME writing that they bought many of those chips. There are other components that can be hard to get and can be the cause for this model long delivery time. The Russian invasion of Ukraine can also cause production problems in Germany, I guess.

Last edited:

spnc

We are not. And it is NOT discontinued.

Well some smooth communications on the part of the company wouldn't hurt then... are we supposed to do your work and research the availability of X or Y chips on our own? lol

Trell

Major Contributor
The UCX II has AKM for DAC and ADC, and I recall RME writing that they bought many of those chips. There are other components that can be hard to get and can be the cause for this model long delivery time. The Russian invasion of Ukraine can also cause production problems in Germany, I guess.

For AKM usage in UCX II this post is the fifth one in this thread by one of the RME founders @MC_RME :

spnc

What has Putin to do with compromising ESS chips? Western propaganda at its finest (I'm just kidding here don't get mad peeps haha)

Trell

Major Contributor
What has Putin to do with compromising ESS chips? Western propaganda at its finest (I'm just kidding here don't get mad peeps haha)

Not specific to ESS chips but Putins very brutal invasion is having a big impact here in Europe. Obviously I don’t know if this is the specific cause for the delays for RME devices.

spnc

Not specific to ESS chips but Putins very brutal invasion is having a big impact here in Europe. Obviously I don’t know if this is the specific cause for the delays for RME devices.

I wouldn't say a big impact here in Europe, I would say some impact in Germany soon when energy bills will rise by October, since these clowns decided to tie their hands to Russian oil and gas 40 years ago lol... not a very smart idea lol Germany really no longer is the respected 'powerhouse' (lol, no pun intended here) it used to be until WW2...

To be honest I feel no difference, but I live in Switzerland it was always expensive so no difference really xD (except electronics such as precisely anything from computers to sound interfaces which for some weird reason are cheaper than in the EU, probably due to the lower 8% VAT rate)

I rarely order on Thomann since you always manage to find a local dealer here, so the good news might be that, while RME is sold out on Thomann, the local dealers usually have their own stocks remaining, so I might get lucky.

Trell

Major Contributor
I rarely order on Thomann since you always manage to find a local dealer here, so the good news might be that, while RME is sold out on Thomann, the local dealers usually have their own stocks remaining, so I might get lucky.

Thomann has removed very many RME devices from their home page, and only UFX+ and Madiface USB are now listed among USB Interfaces apart from the ARC remote.

So yeah, RME is hit very hard.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I used the Mic In to measure the Line Out. There is a noticeable phase shift within the audible band when sample rate was set to 44.1kHz. I double checked that the sample rate on REW matched the sample rate on Fireface. I have repeated the test on different sample rate. As the sample rates go higher the phase shift gradually become unnoticeable.

Whether this phase shift is audible is not my concern. I just want to know, did the DAC filter at Nyquist frequency cause the phase shift? I didn't find where to change the filter type. Unlike a typical standalone DAC product, the Fireface is pro audio tool and doesn't seem to offer such option.

UCXII Line Out Mic In 1 44.1kHz.jpg

Attachments

• UCXII Line Out Mic In 2 48kHz.jpg
    UCXII Line Out Mic In 2 48kHz.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 67
  • UCXII Line Out Mic In 3 88.2kHz.jpg
    UCXII Line Out Mic In 3 88.2kHz.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 69
  • UCXII Line Out Mic In 4 96kHz.jpg
    UCXII Line Out Mic In 4 96kHz.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 65
  • UCXII Line Out Mic In 5 176.4kHz.jpg