• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Never used a minidsp 2×4hd is it worth it?

Dodgersfan

I have the onkyo tx-rz820 and using 4 klipsch subs do I still use the LFE on the sub and at 120hz if I get the minidsp or does that change I have 2-10's and 2-12's, and since the avr has 2 pre outputs for subs do I use both or only one going to the minidsp?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whether the device will do what you want is up for you to figure out.

but the device is very solid for its price. and is an easy way to get DIRAC into your setup.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I have the onkyo tx-rz820 and using 4 klipsch subs do I still use the LFE on the sub and at 120hz if I get the minidsp or does that change I have 2-10's and 2-12's, and since the avr has 2 pre outputs for subs do I use both or only one going to the minidsp?
When minidsp is between pre/subout and sub you can control only sub's signal. Best is to let AVR do all lfe or xo work and uE minidsp to eq and level matching.

For Dirac minidsp shoul be between source and amps, but this is not possible with modern avrs.

Sashoir

Forum Donor

but the device is very solid for its price. and is an easy way to get DIRAC into your setup.

I have one of these and it's ideally suited to my purposes. My understanding is that the line-level sub out is the same signal when two are provided on an AVR, at least when the AVR's calibration/correction is not enabled (I have a Sony AVR, though, so perhaps it is different).
For what it's worth, my use case (no idea how similar it is to yours) is:
1) AVR sub line out to MiniDSP analogue in for films;
2) nanoDIGI coax out (via optical converter) to toslink in for music.
For 1, I have my three sub-woofers playing mono with some individual PEQ tuned in REW, band-passed at 20Hz at 48 dB/octave and 110Hz at 24dB/octave (my surround sound speakers are Kef T301, so they fade out in the baritone register).
For 2 I have two settings: a) two subwoofers which sit under my stereo mains playing stereo band-passed from 18Hz at 48 dB/octave to 42Hz at 24dB/octave on the left and 65 Hz at 24dB/octave on the right, with the third sub (which sits behind the sofa) playing the summed mono signal band-passed from 32Hz at 48dB/octave to 55Hz at 48db/octave; and b) the same band-pass filters but all playing in mono.
The 2x4 HD readily supports these 3 configurations, with one "spare" with which I can experiment if I can think of anything else to try. It's very straight-forward to use with REW filters, the software UX is fairly smooth and intuitive. I believe it did not have spectacular measured performance when reviewed here, but I've no cause for complaint regarding the sound quality.
The only two drawbacks for me are: first, it's not happy with multiple MiniDSP devices being simultaneously connected via usb (I've three, and find juggling connections a trifle tedious); and, secondly, I've not yet found a way to switch configuration and source simultaneously (even better, a way to auto-detect input and apply a configuration), nor a way to blind test configurations programmatically. This may be due to laziness on my part.

Best, S

Top Bottom