• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Never Put Subwoofers In Corners... Even with DSP and Multi-Sub Setups?

Flageborg

"Never Put Subwoofers In Corners... Even with DSP and Multi-Sub Setups?"

A very good question, but I prefer to minimize the use of acoustical treatments
to other than normal use of furnitures in a living room. Experimenting with subs
for some years has lead me to my end-game when it comes to placing subwoofers
in a room, but still trying to find software which can simulate every 3D placement.
Please let me know if you know a useful room calculator :)

Picture of my bass tower

Attachments

• IMG_20231207_192447_768.jpg
    IMG_20231207_192447_768.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20231213_203410_768.jpg
    IMG_20231213_203410_768.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 62

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Optimal placement will always vary; depending on room geometry, placement of listening position, and type of walls/windows. But I have measured monopole subwoofers working well quite often in corners. Other times, a different placement was better. It depends and needs to be tested/measured.

Here's an example of three subwoofers with all corner placement (two in front corners and one in one rear corner), no EQ applied. These are passive subwoofers and the lows wasn't lifted here FIY.
Unsmoothed graph.

2 stk Bandpass og Tuba horn frekvensrespons uten glatting.jpg

Last edited:

Flageborg

View attachment 346419

None of my four subs are lying on the floor. And it won’t even if I add four more.
Looks like your 1. sub is laying on the floor and the rest on top of it ? And the subs are placed upon each other in the middle of your room? And your head is in the corner?

Flageborg

It's just a picture. Shows how to enable elevation view.
Mine are located as they shall, link in signature.
Thank you and it was easier to understand when reading about your system :)
Back to REW and simulation......it looks like FR is the same when adding on top of each other in same location,
but FR changes when relative to floor position is moved....... ?
Any suggestions ?

Top Bottom