• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutron audio player for iPad

Oldasdrt

Just a few thoughts on this player
WOW,,,,
Besides a kind of steep learning curve,this player rocks,after having for a few days I’m becoming acosomed to it,still finding other great things about the player,
The headphone eq presets is one of the nice features, 2500 of them,
Nice compressor/ limiter
Great eq and para eq,
Many dsp effects,

Great sound,even with my inexpensive Beats buds :)
If anyone is looking for a great player for Apple, I can definitely recomend taking a look at this one

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance in getting a screenshot of the PEQ stuff? I checked at the Neutron website but the pics are limited.
The android webpage for Neutron indicates, "Parametric Equalizer (4-60 band, fully configurable: type, frequency, Q, gain)."

OP
Oldasdrt

Oldasdrt

Any chance in getting a screenshot of the PEQ stuff? I checked at the Neutron website but the pics are limited.
The android webpage for Neutron indicates, "Parametric Equalizer (4-60 band, fully configurable: type, frequency, Q, gain)."
Let me post a couple,

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen the 4 band configuration but never seen the bigger badder configuration.

OP
Oldasdrt

Oldasdrt

Here you go,
4EEF5745-990A-443D-B1E6-CD44D41B9772.png
E76482B0-ED1D-449A-A60F-9C2EF0BC420C.png
B0C68F53-D9A4-4EE6-B0C0-E702D052A84C.png
B00C2F91-627E-4C3C-BAD5-134976C6E869.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks pretty good for $8-$10. How well does the AGP work? (I'm guessing it is auto gain control?)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Does this work with Streaming music services such as Qobuz, Amazon, Spotify, Tidal? Or just on server music files and Apple Music?

OP
Oldasdrt

Oldasdrt

Does this work with Streaming music services such as Qobuz, Amazon, Spotify, Tidal? Or just on server music files and Apple Music?
Definitely with iTunes, not sure yet about Tidal, not with Spotify,
I wish it did work with Spotify

OP
Oldasdrt

Oldasdrt

I use Spot EQ for Spotify,

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looks very similar to the Android version, which I have been using for a long time.

Almost too many controls...

charleski

Major Contributor
I use this on Android and prefer it to UAPP.
One of the things I really like (on Android at least) is that all the EQ presets are stored in an xml file (NeutronMP/EQ_presets.xml) that you can easily back up and edit outside the app. I'd be interested in knowing if the presets are exposed in a similar way in the iOS version.

The only problem with the app that I've found is that its ReplayGain implementation doesn't prevent clipping, so runs into problems on music with really wide dynamic range that ends up with a positive album gain (only really found in some classical music). You can prevent this by turning on Automatic Gain Protection, though I'd prefer the RG to be a bit smarter.

OP
Oldasdrt

Oldasdrt

I use this on Android and prefer it to UAPP.
One of the things I really like (on Android at least) is that all the EQ presets are stored in an xml file (NeutronMP/EQ_presets.xml) that you can easily back up and edit outside the app. I'd be interested in knowing if the presets are exposed in a similar way in the iOS version.

The only problem with the app that I've found is that its ReplayGain implementation doesn't prevent clipping, so runs into problems on music with really wide dynamic range that ends up with a positive album gain (only really found in some classical music). You can prevent this by turning on Automatic Gain Protection, though I'd prefer the RG to be a bit smarter.
Very similar

Brab

It's a wonderful app. In addition to all the above it's a network streamer/renderer so can send stuff wirelessly all over the house. And it has a very nice looking clock.

Top Bottom