• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutrik SpeakerON and PowerCON

strada

I am in a bit of a jam and need some help.

I have been running NC400 for a couple of years in Ghent Audio cases and all is well. I got them to produce a speakerON and PowerCON version for me which they now sell on the site. As I've been moving cities this has been an unfinished project for a while and now matter how hard I scratch my head I can't fathom how to wire these things.

Can anyone offer any advice for me? It would be much appreciated. I attach a photo below. Note the extra power switch on the PowerCON.

Attachments

• image_13.jpg
    image_13.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 292

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The powerCON has an "L" and an "N" which are for live and neutral and of course the chassis ground.

The speakON have a 1+, 1- (channel 1), 2+ and 2- (channel 2) not sure what is so confusing about that.

Attachments

• BDA 454 V3 - powerCON - NAC3MPA-1 + NAC3MPB-1.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
  • speakON Series.pdf
    463.3 KB · Views: 101
  • speakon-wiring-suggestion.pdf
    342.9 KB · Views: 110
OP
S

strada

The powerCON has an "L" and an "N" which are for live and neutral and of course the chassis ground.

The speakON have a 1+, 1- (channel 1), 2+ and 2- (channel 2) not sure what is so confusing about that.

Hi JW, thanks so much for this.

With the power con, I understand the live, neutral and ground, as that's the same as my existing IEC (and I assume every IEC), but I don't understand how to integrate it to the on off switch above?

With the speakerON, what I don't understand is why I have four poles, when I only have 2 speaker cables coming from the amp?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SpeakOn, not speakerOn, comes in 4 pole and 2 pole versions.

OP
S

strada

SpeakOn, not speakerOn, comes in 4 pole and 2 pole versions.

My understanding is that you can still use a 4 pole for 2 pole? If that is the case, does it just mean I use +1 and -1?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi JW, thanks so much for this.

With the power con, I understand the live, neutral and ground, as that's the same as my existing IEC (and I assume every IEC), but I don't understand how to integrate it to the on off switch above?

With the speakerON, what I don't understand is why I have four poles, when I only have 2 speaker cables coming from the amp?

1602071339330.png

This is a basic SPST switch that is inline.

You have 4 pole speakON which you'll only use two of the poles (1+ & 1-) for each speaker.

OP
S

strada

View attachment 86584
This is a basic SPST switch that is inline.

You have 4 pole speakON which you'll only use two of the poles (1+ & 1-) for each speaker.

But how do I know which position is on and which is off? Which cable goes into the switch? Just the live in and out?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In a 2.0 stereo signal there are two channels. Or you could have one signal for the tweeter, one for the woofer....

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The switch is open or closed. Open it is off, closed it is on. Wire from the L terminal of the power connector to one (either) side of the switch then wire the other side to the line or "hot" input of your power supply.

The right amp side is one channel, the left another, so a stereo amplifier has two channels.

Perhaps you should consider prebuilt, or getting the help of a friend with basic electronics knowledge, to ensure the final connections are safe and reasonable.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Could these not just be wired up and checked for continuity before the amps switch on .

Whatever is connect at one end you want it to be outputted on the appropriate bit on the other end. A simple continuity test would do that or is it some how way more complicated

Silver1omo

1602084789768.png

If you are using the Hypex SMPS600N400, L will be J3.1 and N will be J3.3

As for the speakOn, does your speaker have speakOn or banana or spring loaded tabs?

If the speakers do not have speakOn, then just choose 2 leads (let's say 1+ and 1-) and match them in the speaker cables that you might need to make.
If you already have the speaker cables done, just match what it is used there in the amp side.

Top Bottom