• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutral over-ear active noise canceling headphones for autistic person?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I have a friend who has recently been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and I am trying to recommend a pair of noise canceling over-ear wireless phones. Looking for a good balance of neutral sound, comfort and quality of noise-canceling algorithm. Person is really bothered by ambient noise and Ithought headphones would make a good gift. Does anyone have any suggestions, especially with black Friday coming up? Much appreciated!

ngs428

Some of the best noise cancelling you will see and they can use the Sony App to eq them if needed to get closer to neutral. Check out the Sony WH-1000XM4. I have them and love them for out and about or just for work around the house. $250, so on the upper end of the price range, but they are worth it. I got mine used for $180 on eBay earlier this year.

PabloT

As an autistic person myself, I get great relief from noise with my Etymotic ER2XR, they block out most of the noises specially if I'm playing music. The only issue with them could be the fit. The airpods max look pretty much like the best traditional ANC headphone option if you don't mind the cost and the apple limitations. The N90Q look as good if not better but are discontinued, a while back I saw them on sale for a ridiculously low price, so I would still browse around for them.
I would also add that my custom Sensaphonics earplugs have improved my quality of life by a huge margin, can't leave the house without them and use different filters depending on the situation.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
The new Bose QC45 might be the best without EQ (when powered) according to what measurements have been published so far: that might be relevant though I've not heard them. They may get app based EQ in the near future as their model 700 did after release. Mind you, the 700 needs it.

Bear in mind that fit is important. I like the Sonys but my ears are too long for them, for example. Also device compatibility. My QC35 IIs are nice overall but hiss like an angry snake when my iPhone connects to them: and my work Macbook (last year's M1) causes the battery to drain at twice the rate previous machines did.

emm2021nat

I have a friend who has recently been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and I am trying to recommend a pair of noise canceling over-ear wireless phones. Looking for a good balance of neutral sound, comfort and quality of noise-canceling algorithm. Person is really bothered by ambient noise and Ithought headphones would make a good gift. Does anyone have any suggestions, especially with black Friday coming up? Much appreciated!
Anker Life A2 NC's soundcore is the one I have been using for the past 6 months. It was worth $65 when I bought it, but you might get it at a lower price as most shopping sites have Black Friday offers. Before this, I was using New beats studio buds, as the present one costs less, I switched.
I was diagnosed with autism; it has been a few years. I have been to a therapist in a clinic for aba therapy in long island. I was bad at concentrating and focusing on the desired conversation, so my therapist suggested these headphones. I had disturbed my sleep cycle ever since I realized I'm autistic, so I use sleep headphones. I will give the link to every headphone towards the end of my reply. I hope this helps you.

Noise Cancellation: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KDX5H5Z?tag=abilitytb-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Sleep headphone: https://dormiphones.com/?sca_ref=925503.P3BiT16AzP

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
As an autistic person myself, I get great relief from noise with my Etymotic ER2XR, they block out most of the noises specially if I'm playing music. The only issue with them could be the fit. The airpods max look pretty much like the best traditional ANC headphone option if you don't mind the cost and the apple limitations. The N90Q look as good if not better but are discontinued, a while back I saw them on sale for a ridiculously low price, so I would still browse around for them.
I would also add that my custom Sensaphonics earplugs have improved my quality of life by a huge margin, can't leave the house without them and use different filters depending on the situation.
Thank you-- I really appreciate it! Glad you have found gear that works well for you.

Top Bottom