• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neurochrome HP-LOAD Review (Headphone Dummy Load)

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 'improvements' in the full releases seem to never be the stuff that you really need and want...not to mention that they still (version 8.0 now released) don't measure THD as anyone else does.

@DualTriode > Keysight does a much better job.

I wouldn't touch Keysight with a barge pole:
Hello this has not been my experience with Keysight or their local sales rep.

I am a retired engineer and until just recently I was an instructor at the local community college.

I have discovered that you never ever tell any of these commercial vendors that you use their stuff for hobby use.

What I tell them is that I am a retired engineer and now I keep my hand in doing one off projects.

Most of the time it is just for my interest.

I have purchased a VNA, O'scopes, a function generator. bench top volt meter, several SMU's and power supplies. I even did some beta testing of their Benchview software for computer control of their power supplies

Plus the Keysight service center in Roseville California is on my path, I have had instruments serviced and calibrated all with a smile.

Thanks DT

I use the local TestEquity sales rep.

DualTriode

The 'improvements' in the full releases seem to never be the stuff that you really need and want...not to mention that they still (version 8.0 now released) don't measure THD as anyone else does.

Hello this has not been my experience with Keysight or their local sales rep.

I am a retired engineer and until just recently I was an instructor at the local community college.

I have discovered that you never ever tell any of these commercial vendors that you use their stuff for hobby use.

What I tell them is that I am a retired engineer and now I keep my hand in doing one off projects.

Most of the time it is just for my interest.

I have purchased a VNA, O'scopes, a function generator. bench top volt meter, several SMU's and power supplies. I even did some bate testing of their Benchview software for computer control of their power supplies

Plus the Keysight service center in Roseville California is on my path, I have had instruments serviced and calibrated all with a smile.

Thanks DT

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
When I bought my APx525 in 2014 the AP rep met with me in person. I'm sure I wasn't the only stop on his tour, but it still impressed me that he'd take the time to meet with a customer who might buy one item. This was when I was still in the US and the rep came up from Portland.

Gerr Audio represents AP in Canada. I'm very happy with Gerr. Their AP guy met me for coffee a number of years ago just to touch base. I recently hung out with the owner and founder of Gerr for half a day while we were both in San Francisco for Burning Amp. I had the APx525 go through Gerr for calibration as well. I'm happy.

When AP released the B-series of the analyzers it did seem like they moved the software to a subscription model. At least I developed the impression that I would have to subscribe to a license in order to use the analyzer. I don't know if I misunderstood or if AP changed the terms. I do know for a fact that when I bought the APx555B last year it came with the current software and an upgrade to the the next major release. So I'm on version 7 of the software without any subscription or limit.

The new features all seem to relate to measurement of wireless and smart devices. I seem to recall something about perceptual measurements. I haven't paid too close attention because none of the features interested me. Nobody is forcing me to upgrade the software.

I would imagine that the new features took significant research and development effort to implement, so having to pay for those seems pretty reasonable.

Tom

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matching to that their overpriced handheld multimeter was a complete failure (IMHO):

As so often it is not easy to find something that just does everything right.
After my last experience with Keysight, no way in hell I'd buy another instrument from them. Total PITA to deal with on every level. Their SW licensing is a complete joke.

Top Bottom