• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neurochrome 286 build for a member.

sq225917

Major Contributor
51824435366_44ce3fd555_h.jpg

I've been putting together a 286 build for a member.

I'm not a fan of little amp cases, theyre a pain to work in but this one was just on the right side of petite. The cabling looks a bit tight but loop areas are short and all power and signal cable and vertically displaced by more distance than this camera angle affords.

Couple of mV offset on either channel, absolutely zero audible noise even at full vol on my pre amp, and thats about 12db higher than I can comfortably listen in my setup. Another beautifully quiet neurochrome build.

Last edited:

groovybassist

Forum Donor
51824435366_44ce3fd555_h.jpg

I've been putting together a 286 build for a member.

I'm not a fan of little amp cases,ctheyre a pain to work in but this one was just on the right side of petite. The cabling looks a bit tight but loop areas are short and all power and signal cable and vertically displaced by more distance than this camera angle affords.

Couple of mV offset on either channel, absurdly zero audible noise even at full tt on my pre amp, and that about 12db higher than I can comfortably listen in my setup. Another beautifully quiet neurochrome build.
Nice work! I’m sure they’ll enjoy it.

gags

Yup, would you Adam and Eve it?

@sq225917 a complete stranger from “The Internet” has built this beautiful thing for me…

A bit of a leap of faith to start shipping parts from Canada and New Jersey to another part of the UK I will admit but soon I will be able to regale visitors to my humble home with awesome audio adventures augmented by ASR.

Happy days, and I assume late into the evening from time to time.

BurntFinger

Forum Donor
Looks great!
I like Tom's products.
Just used one of his universal buffer boards to do a proper SE to balanced convertor. Transparent and absolutely no noise.

Where is the chassis from?

gags

Where is the chassis from?

Only the finest Italian chassis will do for this sort of thing …

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Should sound at least as good as it looks. The Neurochromes are phenomenal IMO.

OP
S

sq225917

Major Contributor
And I got a rather lovely bottle of red wine in return for my efforts. All is right with the world.

Maybe I should a strapline to my profile, 'will build for booze!'

gags

Today was spent installing everything properly. What a joy this magic black box is. It plays really nicely with the silver one also, as far as my novice ears can tell.

Much appreciation to @sq225917 ..
20220127-IMG_9069.jpg

Top Bottom