• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumi BS5 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Ericglo

I am not going to complain, but I hate Facebook.:)

That is cool that they are receptive to feedback.

Have you contacted Monoprice? They used to be good about getting stuff out to be reviewed. I believe it was two years ago at Cedia that I was impressed with their audio demo.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I am not going to complain, but I hate Facebook.:)

That is cool that they are receptive to feedback.

Have you contacted Monoprice? They used to be good about getting stuff out to be reviewed. I believe it was two years ago at Cedia that I was impressed with their audio demo.

I was really surprised how forthcoming they have been to me about their design, after me having sent them the review link. I encouraged them to share that information with the forum but they are reluctant to do that just yet which is understandable. Maybe soon, though.

I have not contacted monoprice. I may reach out to MP, though, and see if they would be willing to work with me in the future. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Ericglo

I would love to see one of these inexpensive speakers measure well. It would be interesting to stack about 8 of them into a CBT. That might be easier with a powered monitor though albeit more expensive.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I just updated my site with the following Max SPL testing. Read the description and watch the video if you want to understand what is going on here.

Maximum Long Term SPL:
The below data provides the metrics for how Maximum Long Term SPL is determined. This measurement follows the IEC 60268-21 Long Term SPL protocol, per Klippel’s template, as such:

• Rated maximum sound pressure according IEC 60268-21 §18.4
  • Using broadband multi-tone stimulus according §8.4
  • Stimulus time = 60 s Excitation time + Preloops according §18.4.1
Each voltage test is 1 minute long (hence, the “Long Term” nomenclature).

The thresholds to determine the maximum SPL are:

• -20dB Distortion relative to the fundamental
  • -3dB compression relative to the reference (1V) measurement

When the speaker has reached either or both of the above thresholds, the test is terminated and the SPL of the last test is the maximum SPL. In the below results I provide the summarized table as well as the data showing how/why this SPL was deemed to be the maximum.

This measurement is conducted twice:

• First with a 20Hz to 20kHz multitone signal
  • Second with a limited 80Hz to 20kHz signal
The reason for the two measurements is because it is unfair to expect a small bookshelf speaker to extend low in frequency. Applying both will provide a good idea of the limitations if you were to want to run a speaker full range vs using one with a typical 80Hz HPF. And you will have a way to compare various speakers’ SPL limitations with each other. However, note: the 80Hz signal is a “brick wall” and does not emulate a typical 80Hz HPF slope of 24dB/octave. But… it’s close enough.

You can watch a demonstration of this testing via my YouTube channel:

Test 1: 20Hz to 20kHz

Table Results:
maxspl_table_20.png

Multitone compression testing. The red line shows the final measurement where either distortion and/or compression failed. The voltage just before this is used to help determine the maximum SPL.

Neumi%20BS5_MTON_Compression%2020.png

Multitone distortion testing. The dashed blue line represents the -20dB (10% distortion) threshold for failure. The dashed red line is for reference and shows the 1% distortion mark (but has no bearing on pass/fail). The green line shows the final measurement where either distortion and/or compression failed. The voltage just before this is used to help determine the maximum SPL.

Neumi%20BS5_MTON_Distortion%2020.png

Test 2: 80Hz to 20kHz

Table Results:
maxspl_table_80.png

Multitone compression testing. The red line shows the final measurement where either distortion and/or compression failed. The voltage just before this is used to help determine the maximum SPL.

Neumi%20BS5_MTON_Compression%2080.png

Multitone distortion testing. The dashed blue line represents the -20dB (10% distortion) threshold for failure. The dashed red line is for reference and shows the 1% distortion mark (but has no bearing on pass/fail). The green line shows the final measurement where either distortion and/or compression failed. The voltage just before this is used to help determine the maximum SPL.

Neumi%20BS5_MTON_Distortion%2080.png

The above data can be summed up by looking at the tables above but is provided here again:

• Max SPL for 20Hz to 20kHz is approximately 82dB @ 1 meter. The compression threshold was exceeded above this SPL.
  • Max SPL for 80Hz to 20kHz is approximately 93dB @ 1 meter. The compression threshold was exceeded above this SPL.

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any idea what might be going on here? I noticed a similar area on one of your previous reviews.

1595208764120.png

Edit: I can't seem to find the other one, it's possible I just noticed this one on 2 different occasions. The only other review of yours that has these accelerometer measurements that I noticed was the Jamo S807. It could have some similar areas, but I can't readily see them. Even these trends are hard to see in this review due to them being relatively low on the false color scale, mostly in the green part of the graphs.

Last edited:

funktasticshawn

So these look like pretty good speakers with the ports plugged, maybe a small desktop stand (get them ~5" above the desk surface) with a ~15 degree upward tilt, and then a couple of relatively mild EQ settings....

My EQ settings:
45Hz q 4 high pass - just to help save the mid-woofers at louder volumes
100Hz q 0.8 bell -2.0dB
450Hz q 1.5 bell -2.7dB
800Hz slope 3x low shelf +2.6dB
2.2kHz q 4 resonance -0.7dB
4.8kHz q 6.5 resonance -1.5dB
6kHz slope 4x high shelf +1.7dB

Based entirely off the measurements in the review with the ports plugged. I used some high density upholstery foam for port plugs.
I'm sure my EQ settings are excessively complex, but I have this idea that I prefer cutting frequencies with the exception of shelf filters.

Can someone tell me I haven't lost my mind and these are pretty decent speakers....?

I'll probably get the mini-dsp measurement mic in a month or two and find out that I don't hear nearly as well as I like to think.

joentell

Reviewer
Good review.

Were you going to modify the crossover?

You should put the review up on Amazon. The two guys with reviews (Joe N Tell and Z something) sounded less than knowledgeable.

I sounded less than knowledgeable? I must've gotten lucky to have come up with the same conclusion as my buddy @hardisj.

I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as @hardisj and my in-room measurements are just that, but less than knowledgeable, man that's harsh!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@hardisj

Neumi now has the $70 CS5 center. I think this would be a great thing to measure. I’m on the home theater subreddit a lot, and if the CS5 performs well, I’d love to recommend the BS5+CS5 for people with small rooms on a budget.

https://neumitech.com/neumi-cs5-center-channel-speaker/

With 1st order crossovers though, I am expecting the typical poor off-axis response of MTM centers (I may be wrong, but Revel’s measurements of their 2-way MTM centers are pretty good, which I assume is due to steep crossovers).

theonline3333

Is anyone using Neumi Bs5 and Cs5 for your surround sound system? Like Bs5s for front L and R and Cs5 for center with Bs5s for surrounds? I currently have kanto yu passive 5.25s for front L and R and trying to decide if I should return them and get all Bs5s and Cs5 or if I should keep the kantos and mix with bs5s/cs5 or do all kantos. Any advice would be appreciated. Want to make the purchase this weekend.

Top Bottom