• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumi BS5 bookshelf speaker (2nd review by Erin)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks to @hardisj for his review:

Note: Erin reviewed this speaker previously, back in June 2020, but he didn't have his Klippel NFS yet.
I'm glad to see he re-measured it on the NFS, to get a more accurate spinorama and other metrics.
Neumi%20BS5_SPIN.png

DSC02710.JPG

CEA2034%20--%20Neumi%20BS5.png

OR...if you stuff the ports:
CEA2034%20--%20Neumi%20BS5%20%28with%20Port%20Stuffed%29.png

Neumi%20BS5%20Horizontal%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

Neumi%20BS5%20Vertical%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

Neumi%20BS5_Compression.png

Neumi%20BS5%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Neumi%20BS5%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2896dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Erin's conclusion:
Like the Sony SS-CS5 I recently reviewed, the Neumi BS5 is a budget darling. It is naturally compromised at its price but overall, I still like the speaker as an option for someone just starting out and on a very limited budget. And I personally prefer the Neumi over the Sony. The Neumi has lower bass extension and a smoother HF. They both have a midrange scoop. The Neumi has the aforementioned issues in the midrange but I don’t find them problematic enough to not still like the overall sound. The good thing is both the Sony and Neumi are cheap enough to buy both, demo both in your own home and then return the pair you don’t like.

Discuss!

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The results do differ from my previous review (link) but I’m not surprised. I verified with Neumi that the speaker hasn’t changed so I’m left with the simple fact that the NFS has higher resolution and is able to show all the ‘warts’ that my previous testing method was unable to.
The higher resolution isn't enough to explain the large differences between the quasi-anechoic and the anechoic measurements.
Looks like a serious quality control issue.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The higher resolution isn't enough to explain the large differences between the quasi-anechoic and the anechoic measurements.
Looks like a serious quality control issue.

Possibly. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and thinking that most likely the lower resolution of my old method lead to less than perfect matching between my ground plane method and farfield gated response.

Though, I did show that my old method lined up very, very well to the Klipsch Heresy IV’s NFS measurements.

FWIW, I tested the passive speaker from the powered set and got practically the same result as this speaker.

Top Bottom