• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann Subwoofer KH 750 DSP : DSP power for all analog Neumann monitors

Kurzweil

I am interested in a subwoofer for my KH 80 and am not interested in high volume listening. Some people say: "The KH750's performance is not impressive at all for its price." That may be true but I do not see it being backed up by measurements. I am having a hard time finding comparable measurements that I understand.
The SB-1000 Pro is plenty loud and goes low enough for me.
The group delay for the KH 750 at 30Hz is 16ms. For the SB-2000 Pro it is 39ms. Can I hear that? How about distortion?
Is the quality of the sound of the SB-1000 pro really comparable to the KH 750?

Gurkerl

Change of plans for me: I recently picked up a KH 750 second-hand for a price that felt too good to pass up on. Ironically I bought it with the money I saved opting for Adam T7Vs instead of KH120s. Now I am wondering if I can do room correction via the MA-1 software? Probably not, since you have to specify which speaker you're using for the software to do all the necessary calculations?
Either way, I am probably going to keep the sub, because it performs good enough and who knows, maybe I'll be upgrading to Neumann monitors in the future.

In case the MA-1 software won't work with third party monitors, what would be the A) the simplest, or B) the most effective, or C) the cheapest way to implement room correction? I was thinking of using rew to do measurements and use its Auto-EQ, then export that to something like roon. That would allow me to do that in software (please correct me if I got that wrong), as I don't necessarily want to add more hardware to my system. Though I am not too thrilled about paying monthly for roon either, so I will have to pick my poison eventually.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the cheapest way to implement room correction? I was thinking of using rew to do measurements and use its Auto-EQ, then export that to something like roon. That would allow me to do that in software (please correct me if I got that wrong), as I don't necessarily want to add more hardware to my system. Though I am not too thrilled about paying monthly for roon either, so I will have to pick my poison eventually.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I am wondering if I can do room correction via the MA-1 software? Probably not, since you have to specify which speaker you're using for the software to do all the necessary calculations?
Either way, I am probably going to keep the sub, because it performs good enough and who knows, maybe I'll be upgrading to Neumann monitors in the future.

In case the MA-1 software won't work with third party monitors, what would be the A) the simplest, or B) the most effective, or C) the cheapest way to implement room correction? I was thinking of using rew to do measurements and use its Auto-EQ, then export that to something like roon.

The MA-1 software only supports Neumann-speakers, but because the hardware doesn´t know what speakers are actually connected, you could just try what happens. In case you have an iPad at hand, i suggest trying the neumann.control-app for EQ instead of Roon first before buying the MA-1 (REW for measurements). Just tell the app you use a KH120 or whatever. Just try what you get with the Adams as a result.

Gurkerl

Thank you! I already knew that video. It was actually after watching it that I thought to myself I could do that too :D
Once my Raspberry Pi arrives, I will be using that as my source with an operating system that allows me to use Spotify Connect, or another streaming service. Is there a way to use Equalizer APO with the Pi, maybe with a plugin?

The MA-1 software only supports Neumann-speakers, but because the hardware doesn´t know what speakers are actually connected, you could just try what happens. In case you have an iPad at hand, i suggest trying the neumann.control-app for EQ instead of Roon first before buying the MA-1 (REW for measurements). Just tell the app you use a KH120 or whatever. Just try what you get with the Adams as a result.

That would be worth a try. I just realized I would need a mic preamp with 48V phantom power to use the Neumann mic & MA-1, which is another expense. For simple test purposes, would the inbuilt mic on a tablet work?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be worth a try. I just realized I would need a mic preamp with 48V phantom power to use the Neumann mic & MA-1, which is another expense. For simple test purposes, would the inbuilt mic on a tablet work?

Different things: a) If you want to use the MA-1-software you need the right microphone and an interface with 48V phantom power.
b) But you don´t need any of this for the iPad app. The app is just a tool to enter eq-filters, delay and so on into the KH750. How you get to the numbers to enter there is up to you. So you could use any mic + REW for measurements and design filters with REW. You just use the DSP inside the KH750 instead of the EQ in Roon. Or you just use EQ APO and forget the DSP-option of the KH750. Other than the MA-1, the ipad app is free, so maybe worth a try.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! I already knew that video. It was actually after watching it that I thought to myself I could do that too :D
Once my Raspberry Pi arrives, I will be using that as my source with an operating system that allows me to use Spotify Connect, or another streaming service. Is there a way to use Equalizer APO with the Pi, maybe with a plugin?

Don't know about Convolution or PEQ in a Pi, but surely there must be a player that supports them.

Gurkerl

Different things: a) If you want to use the MA-1-software you need the right microphone and an interface with 48V phantom power.
b) But you don´t need any of this for the iPad app. The app is just a tool to enter eq-filters, delay and so on into the KH750. How you get to the numbers to enter there is up to you. So you could use any mic + REW for measurements and design filters with REW. You just use the DSP inside the KH750 instead of the EQ in Roon. Or you just use EQ APO and forget the DSP-option of the KH750. Other than the MA-1, the ipad app is free, so maybe worth a try.

Thank you! For some reason I thought I could only do bass management with the Neumann.Control app. No need for extra hardware or Roon then! Well, apart from a measurement mic, but I would have bought one regardless :)

Chromatic

Thank you! For some reason I thought I could only do bass management with the Neumann.Control app. No need for extra hardware or Roon then! Well, apart from a measurement mic, but I would have bought one regardless :)
Hello :)
How did it turn out finally ?
Because i am in a very similar situation with non neumann Speakers (Adam) but considering the 750 dsp….

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I am interested in a subwoofer for my KH 80 and am not interested in high volume listening. Some people say: "The KH750's performance is not impressive at all for its price." That may be true but I do not see it being backed up by measurements. I am having a hard time finding comparable measurements that I understand.
The SB-1000 Pro is plenty loud and goes low enough for me.
The group delay for the KH 750 at 30Hz is 16ms. For the SB-2000 Pro it is 39ms. Can I hear that? How about distortion?
Is the quality of the sound of the SB-1000 pro really comparable to the KH 750?
Here are measurements for each sub you mentioned:
All things considered, ignoring cost and features, sub performance should be judged with these priorities:
  • Maximum output
  • Extension (how low or high it can play)
  • Distortion
  • ... somewhere very far down, group delay
If you don't want to take my word for it, your best bet is to look at a bunch of measurements to get a sense of what's impressive engineering. Knowing and being comfortable with the numbers will give you a sense of what you can reasonably expect. Look through these reviews, for example: https://data-bass.com/

For group delay audibility I have attached a paper with some compiled research. From everything I've read, for low frequencies, there is no sense trading lower group delay for worse performance elsewhere.

For (nonlinear) distortion it helps to understand what it is: extra sound by the sub in addition to the signal. The main effect is how subjectively loud the sound will seem, all else being equal. Lower distortion figures will mean comparatively cleaner and less obtrusive playback even at high output. The more distortion is allowed, the louder playback will seem (it's part of what leads to listening fatigue). This is because, again, higher distortion means there is more sound generated by the sub itself along with whatever signal you are feeding it. More energy is being produced than you've asked for, in other words. Distortion is rarely high enough to be perceived separately. That will usually happen only if some part of the signal chain is clipped (likely severely). In terms of audibility there are studies that show thresholds, but those vary a lot by signal and playback level. Like with group delay, more useful to look at what's available on the market. Lower distortion is better, but it's not something to obsess about if your budget is limited.

Judging distortion is somewhat simplified through CEA 2010 measurements, which give the highest SPL figures a sub can output without breaching a defined distortion level per frequency (perceptually based). Unfortunately we don't have CEA 2010 figures for the KH750, but we do have maximum SPL figures. Keep in mind that CEA 2010 measurements are based on transient/burst signals, while other max SPL measurements are long term.

From the measurements, KH750 delivers less output than either SVS model, can't play as low (but does play cleanly much higher) and is significantly more expensive.

So why buy it? The biggest pain with subs is correct setup. The KH750 has a crossover and EQ built in and is designed to work perfectly with other Neumann monitors, including phase and group delay correction. That's reason enough to buy, given how much sweat is needed to integrate subs and mains manually. And then the costs pile up more than they would otherwise if you want to use a multisub KH750 setup often recommended here.

At some point you may decide you need more output. That's the major limiting factor here. I moved to a small apartment and the KH80s were enough for the living room and a 2 meter listening distance. Later moved to a bigger apartment and found them definitely insufficient at 3-5 meters. Since I'm comfortable with measurements and DSP I bought an Arendal Sound sub, which delivers a lot more output than the KH750 and was about 30% cheaper. At some point I'll get bigger active mains, but the sub is a keeper. If I had bought the KH750 I'm sure it would have been fine, but if I ever changed speakers I would lose the main reason for using the KH750, smooth integration with other Neumann speakers, unless I shifted the whole system to a bedroom or something.

Attachments

• Group Delay AES.pdf
    393.1 KB · Views: 110

jj-wohlgemuth

I happened upon this preliminary control method:
https://github.com/floxch/kh750remote
Not so useful in itself, but it gave me a pointer to the Sennheiser Sound Control Protocol that Neumann are apparently using.
https://assets.sennheiser.com/globa...ennheiser_Sound_Control_Protocol_ew_D1_EN.pdf
I haven't found anything detailing what you can and can't set, but between the /osc/schema and /osc/limits methods an owner should be able to query their KH750 or KH80 to find out.
Might be interesting in this context:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How many peq rules does kh120 have and kh80?
The Neumann control ipad app offers 8 per channel for the KH80. If you use the 750, you have 8 for the sub and additional 2x 8 for the connected speakers (120, 310 or 420).
The 120 itself has no DSP.

klangfilm

My kh750 broke down 2 months ago and I was just informed that they will send me a new one as it cannot be fixed, the parts are not available anymore.
I am a bit worried when the guarantee will expire....

Newman

Major Contributor
Unrepairable Neumanns?? Interesting!

SgtDuke

the parts are not available anymore
Does this mean that they will have to release a new model when they run out of stock of the 750? Or maybe they are manufacturing new 750s with different parts that will be available in the future for repairs? Not too surprisingly, I haven't been able to find much about their future plans. Does anyone happen to have some inside info?

klangfilm

Difficult to give you an answer as you may know that they have been many issues the last months / years with spare parts in different industry sectors like the cars industry.

Top Bottom