• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann NDH20 Review (Headphone)

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder how audible super-narrow spikes in distortion (up to 104dB in this case) are?
*Since there is a dip in the FR probably not much if at all?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
NDH20-AFR.png

Apparently the same as: https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-reference/blog/reviews/neumann-ndh20-headphone-review/#sound
10295686.jpg

1633906585494.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Its deficiencies are long known, here from one more good source
Imho a poor effort of the Sennheiser group obviously modifying their long discontinued market flop Sennheiser HD630VB and selling it a much higher price under the name Neumann

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I remember reading somewhere a justification for the target response but I can't find the link now.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was quite surprised by this response. Given Neumann's heritage for neutrality in speakers, I expected a flat and bass shy response. Instead we have plenty of bass but then a suck out in the 1 to 3 kHz.

The NDH20 is just a retuned version of the flopped/discontinued Sennheiser 630VB to give Neumann a headphone under their own branding.

Xn7Bzsy.jpg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how audible super-narrow spikes in distortion (up to 104dB in this case) are?
*Since there is a dip in the FR probably not much if at all?
Where do you see that stupendous value?

MikeJ

So it actually happened exactly once? He's just saying, cuz literally everytime there is a bad measurement 50% of the comments are "oh it must be a defective unit"

And it rarely actually is.
Yes it happened to me once, that's why I asked, is it wrong to ask such question when you doubt something at first sight? I'd rather double check. Now that I personally own NDH 20, that distortion peak just surprises me, ehm. It's even more funny because even the studio pros I know and Neumann guys say praises about these headphones, with regards to resonances, extremely low distortion, etc. At least in my experience, the drivers in these headphones are fast settling and bass distortion sounds mostly even-harmonic to me, which can be a normal thing at proper SPLs. But I would definitely want to hear Neumann's take on these ASR measurements.

Merkurio

NDH20-AFR.png

Apparently the same as: https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-reference/blog/reviews/neumann-ndh20-headphone-review/#sound
10295686.jpg

View attachment 158352

Almost identical to Amir's results smoothed to 1/3 octave:

index.php

Zensō

Major Contributor
There’s no spinning a story about that massive dip between 1-3 kHz - it shows up in almost all of the measurements I’ve seen.

It’s a shame that these are essentially a rebranded Sennheiser. Would be great if they’d design a headphone from the ground up that’s in the same league as their studio monitors.

Last edited:

Kyle / MrHeeHo

Yes it happened to me once, that's why I asked, is it wrong to ask such question when you doubt something at first sight? I'd rather double check. Now that I personally own NDH 20, that distortion peak just surprises me, ehm. It's even more funny because even the studio pros I know and Neumann guys say praises about these headphones, with regards to resonances, extremely low distortion, etc. At least in my experience, the drivers in these headphones are fast settling and bass distortion sounds mostly even-harmonic to me, which can be a normal thing at proper SPLs. But I would definitely want to hear Neumann's take on these ASR measurements.
If there's anything I've learned on this forum it's that "studio pros" are just as poor at judging what makes a good headphone/loudspeaker as the average audiophile is

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surprised to see Neumann diluting their brand with a rebadged headphone.

Skinner001

Thought about these for quite a while, but ultimately said NO.

Even with the smoothing, elevetad bass + that hole starting at 500-700 depending on where you look up the FR measurement) up until 3k pretty much guaranteed I'd not like it and seems even with EQ they're no where near worth the price.

And besides, Zeos raves that these are neutral perfection which is a deterrent in and of itself :D

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Almost identical to Amir's results smoothed to 1/3 octave:

index.php
I can't speak for all the reviewers I posted but I know oratory1990 applies averaging. 5x if I remember right.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NDH20-AFR.png

10295686.jpg

View attachment 158352

Scaling and smoothing folks. I make it a habit to always closely look at the x and y axes before really looking at the curves.

SoundsGood2Me

Forum Donor
Amir, Thank You for staying so consistent with all your tests. I'm starting to pick up what you're laying down with speakers / headphones. AND IT IS SO MUCH EASIER BECAUSE YOU ARE SO CONSISTENT WITH HOW YOU REPORT DATA. Every report starts and proceeds in the same orderly fashion, with the same data points in the same order every time. That's great for helping me understand.

Please keep up the awesome work, I look forward to every review.

Attachments

• Bear Chonk.jpg
    Bear Chonk.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 118
Top Bottom