• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann NDH 30 Review

chesebert

Can you describe PRaT and how that would translate to measurements ?

What do you mean with dynamics.
Arguably the dynamics are about the same and when looking at bass response the HD800S shows less compression than HD560S so arguably should have a better dynamic range in the lows.
Dynamic - ability to easily swing from low spl to high spl, but mostly relating to bass response; more punchy. FR does not tell the whole picture as I am sure you are aware of.

PRaT - an imprecise term used to describe a combination of behaviors on a system level, including but not limited to, transient response. harmonic distortion, damping factor, slew rate, settle time and diaphragm control.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
PRaT is a nonsensical term rather than an imprecise term I would say.
How can it describe anything when there is no clear definition for it and nobody really knows or understands what PRaT is or what is meant by it? It can mean literally anything to anyone.
I think even the one that coined the term could not explain what he meant and just invented a term for something he could not really define.
It is not clear to me what you 'describe' with PRaT what aspect of the sound is being 'better' is basically what I am saying.

Arguably the dynamics of HD800S are better than NDH-30 (based on modified HD560S driver).
The NDH30 driver certainly is damped a lot better though.
Here too the definition of 'dynamic' can be interpreted rather loosely which is why it is confusing to use the term unless it is clear what 'dynamics' means (punch, forward sounding etc.)

Indeed SQ is not just FR but by far the biggest 'component'. Also for 'perceived' dynamics.

Last edited:

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
PRaT - an imprecise term used to describe a combination of behaviors on a system level, including but not limited to, transient response. harmonic distortion, damping factor, slew rate, settle time and diaphragm control.
:facepalm:

Ask 10 other audiophiles what prat is and you will hear 11 contradictory opinions.

Dazerdoreal

While the frequency response looks great here, I have seen other measurements where the NDH30 does not as look as good as on this one. Some measurements portray it really dark.

There seems to be a rather high dependence on how you wear them, and occsionally drivers just seem to be off.
1) 2) https://listener.squig.link/?share=Neumann_NDH30 (Sample 1)

I expect that it is a great headphone if they do their job as promised, but you should be ready to send them back if something is wrong.

jagwap

Ask 10 other audiophiles what prat is and you will hear 11 contradictory opinions.
Absolutely.

I have my opinion, and if you don't like them, I have others. (© Groucho Marx if he was an audiophile).

It is ultimately can the equipment truthfully portray the musicians rhythmic interplay. It usually comes as a nonsense idea to most that this can even happen, until you hear it.

Then you cannot unhear it...

What causes this is what can cause disagreements. I would suggest frequency dependent group delay, or phase if you like, as one aspect. So bass deviation from uncompensated flat response could be detrimental. So hands off the EQ knobs if you don't know what you are doing. You will likely ruin the musicians' message.

The NDH-30 are one of the better headphones out there for PRaT.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

Just dial it up to 11. :)

1703522047218.png

Arnas

These looks good, shame that heaband padding is terrible.

Last edited:

Arnas

Yeah, but you can buy the HD 6X0 headband padding to replace the NDH 30 padding and improve the overall comfort.
12037505.jpg
Is this padding broken as a result of trying to fit it in those or was it cracked to begin with?

Top Bottom