• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

gr-e

of course, if I understand this correctly the woofer plays a critical role in the tweeter function in that design, so it’s possible that coaxle designs would be even more impacted, no?
No, the temperature mostly affects the stiffness of the woofer suspension. The cone shape remains the same so the tweeter won't be affected.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the temperature mostly affects the stiffness of the woofer suspension. The cone shape remains the same so the tweeter won't be affected.
Well, at low temperatures the woofer has a little less extension in the range of the dip which "may" improve IMD of the mids and the behaviour of the cone as waveguide for the tweeter. I don't think this could be audible though.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, the temperature mostly affects the stiffness of the woofer suspension. ....

If we are going to get down into it and it is woofer stiffness at the root, we need to see the impedance curves particularity the resonance frequency changes.

Thanks DT

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeh, the ripple or peaking with digital filters is why I have not bothered to put in the correction in Klippel (and neither does Klippel Germany). With the worst case error of just 1 dB at 20 kHz, I think we can live without the correction.
Agree and can be as relaxed about it as Klippel Germany and you, but in inner think correction should by added in its a documented ripple measured either by manufacture of microphone or a certified lab so it makes sense to correct for because analyzes is released to public readers that include nerds engineers and manufactures and also its told per review that in a nutshell the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker :) just my opinion on topic and not a disaster ignored just a difference in opinion.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
one of the best ASR reviews ever. And I don't even care about those speakers.
With so much going downhill in the audio industry it's uplifting to see that some people still try to improve things and also to improve themselves.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
one of the best ASR reviews ever. And I don't even care about those speakers.
With so much going downhill in the audio industry it's uplifting to see that some people still try to improve things and also to improve themselves.
Yes!

Sorry if I missed this in this thread (or one of the other 100 threads about this speaker), but does this have enough power for a large bedroom/small living room? Or is this really only for near-field applications?

Pepperjack

Sorry if I missed this in this thread (or one of the other 100 threads about this speaker), but does this have enough power for a large bedroom/small living room? Or is this really only for near-field applications?
Check out the kh120 for that. I bought some for my living room-set on the lowest dB setting I raised it up u til almost clipping, dialed it back and my wife was screaming to turn it down, daughter covering her ears. According to Amir earlier though, this-the kh80 (I asked earlier) is specifically for near field applications.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

With a sub or two yes. Otherwise you might run into SPL limitations if you listen loud.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Pepperjack

Hi, so a quick question. Does anybody know if I flip the switch to turn off the display light will the red clipping light still show up? Haven’t clipped it on any normal listening but would prefer to have the light off but clipping signal on...the dim setting is just not what I call dim.

matt3421

if you turn off the white LED lights in the neumann.control app it will still turn red when clipping.

Pepperjack

Ah sorry I didn’t lr realize the difference. Anyone k ow if the kh120 will still show clipping of the light is manually flipped off on the back? I tried the co troll app but can’t do anything unless I get one of the subwoofers.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Ah sorry I didn’t lr realize the difference. Anyone k ow if the kh120 will still show clipping of the light is manually flipped off on the back? I tried the co troll app but can’t do anything unless I get one of the subwoofers.

according to the manual, yes it will show clippings
I’ve never had mine go off and the lights are set to “dim”
My bad. I forgot to mention I use the KH805 sub with factory crossover set at 80 Hz
Probably why lights never turn red. ‍♂️

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Yes. I used to clip the speakers all the time using dub step and electronic music pushing the amps at high gain — I’m almost certain I’ve murdered some of my auditory hair cells due to loud listening tests — I’m guessing this has worsened my tinnitus a little (quite permanently). The red LED flashing looks quite alarming. I’m much, much more sensible now, thankfully.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Amir, would it be possible to add your excellent "beamwidth" graph to this review? I mention because it was not yet used when these speakers were measured previously.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@Amir, would it be possible to add your excellent "beamwidth" graph to this review? I mention because it was not yet used when these speakers were measured previously.
Sure. Just added to the review. Here it is also:

index.php

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"including me not even being dressed right to measure speakers..."

The highlight of being a reviewer on ASR, dressing up for the job.

Top Bottom