• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP, 48khz?

EPC

Looking at the website, it says that the speaker operates at 48khz..
Does this mean anything playing above 48khz will get downsampled by the monitor when playing back?

I don't to talk about whether or not you can perceive above whatever khz etc, literally just the stats.

detlev24

Yes, (re)sampling is to 48 kHz - which really does not matter at all for playback.

Last edited:

Joaquinín

Kh-80 DSP has no digital input, so no resampling. It simply converts the analog input into digital at 48 khz. It´s internal DSP works at 32/48 khz. The Kh-750 DSP subwoofer, on the other hand, does in fact include a digital input which up-or-downsamples all digital signals to 32/48 khz. I asked Neumann about this, and they replied that they don´t want higher frequencies, as those produce convolution in the transducers. They also told me: "Please have a look at this paper about the phenomenon of applying signals above 20 kHz to loudspeakers. 7. AES Convention (Paper No. 5401)."
I have the impression that this is a debated subject, there is no scientific consensus about it.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I have the impression that this is a debated subject, there is no scientific consensus about it.
There is a scientific consensus that human generally can't perceive ultrasonics unless very young (toddler or baby). The lack of consensus is on the production/playback side, where the only valid reason to preserve ultrasonics that I can see is for archival purposes.

detlev24

Kh-80 DSP has no digital input, so no resampling. [...]
This is correct, I should have been more precise about it.

However, where did you get the information, that its internal DSP works at 32/48 kHz?

Joaquinín

They told me so (mesenger communication):
"The KH 750 as well as the KH 80 are internally working with 32 bit signal processing at 48 kHz. All incoming signals analog and digital are converted accordingly for good reasons."

Top Bottom