• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH750 without Neumann monitors

WesternEdition

Hi everyone, I’m grateful for the incredible advice on this forum. I’m building a Hauptwerk organ setup in my home; this is PC software that simulates a pipe organ using recorded samples.

Thanks to the reviews and discussion here, I’ve decided to start with a pair of Kali IN-8 V2 monitors as a good-value option. Next up is a subwoofer. Since this is for an organ, it needs to resolve 16-32 Hz frequencies as well as possible. The Kali WS-12 doesn’t quite have the specs I’d like to see, and gets some mixed reviews as a compromise between a studio sub and a live PA sub.

So, I’m looking at the Neumann KH750. It sounds like a lot of its value is in the DSP and room tuning capabilities, particularly as part of an all-Neumann 2.1 setup. I’ve read on other threads that you can use Neumann’s software and MA1 mic to adjust the system without Neumann monitors—you just tell the software you‘re using Neumann monitors without DSP.

Is the KH750 worth it as part of a mixed setup, or would I be overpaying for something that’s really meant to be used as part of an integrated system? And if I do buy it, is it worth getting the bundle with the MA1 mic (currently +$55)? I’d also be happy to hear about any other subs you recommend; Neumann occupies such a special place in these discussions, it’s likely I’ve overlooked some other options.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You'd probably be just as well off with an SVS SB-1000 PRO and save yourself close to $1000.

TurtlePaul

If you are trying for organ noises down to 16 hz, I would look at ported subs.

Maybe add a miniHD Flex us UMIK for DSP.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are also the Bag End Infra Subs. AFAIK originally developed for researching the communication of elephants, but maybe that's an urban legend :).

I don't know them, but maybe worth a look.

I agree the KH750 is probably not the best choice. It's capabilities in the lowest area are limited.

OP
W

WesternEdition

If you are trying for organ noises down to 16 hz, I would look at ported subs.

Maybe add a miniHD Flex us UMIK for DSP.
Looks impressive—especially the weight: 110 lbs!

TurtlePaul

Looks impressive—especially the weight: 110 lbs!
Just shows you how much of a premium one pays for DSP studio subs from Genelec or Neumann (not to say they arent worth it for the DSP and durability more than the woofer driver used). I prefer to roll my own DSP with REW, but maybe I am too cheap.

Pritaudio

Neumann kh750 has superior dsp to any svs sub. It has more eq bands, latency correction, and is ruler flat. Regarding output spl, I’m not sure if to nearer to sb1000 pro or sb2000 pro.

Pritaudio

Just shows you how much of a premium one pays for DSP studio subs from Genelec or Neumann (not to say they arent worth it for the DSP and durability more than the woofer driver used). I prefer to roll my own DSP with REW, but maybe I am too cheap.
do you have a sub setup. In which case how do you eq the sub and main speakers together. Are you using a Minidsp or something.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
How about?: https://dynaudio.com/professional-audio/subwoofers/18s

I have one; very happy with it.

1708765246140.png

* I'm not sure how accurate the measurements are below 20Hz, but UMIK-1 mic claims a frequency response of 8Hz to 20kHz.

TurtlePaul

do you have a sub setup. In which case how do you eq the sub and main speakers together. Are you using a Minidsp or something.
Yes, I use a MiniDSP 2x4 HD as DAC / source selector / volume control / EQ / crossover.

Top Bottom