• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 vs Revel PerformaBe F228be or F328be

youngho

Thanks for posting these pictures. A lot of these look like GiK Acoustics products, like the Alpha 2D(a) panels and Gotham N23 diffusers. I believe that there are also Artnovion Myron E diffusers on the ceiling. I'm a little puzzled by some of the other diffusion elements, like the double-sided ones mounted near the front ceiling speakers (why double-sided, as opposed to just single-sided facing towards the listener) and the ones facing up on top of the side Alpha panels towards the front of the room--I'd love to hear the reasoning. Interesting that there just seems to be the one subwoofer (as opposed to the cardioid bass modules).

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So what standmount speaker can I bring in here to test against my current set that has this "dynamic" capability, to see if it's an upgrade? I've thought about the Arendals and the JBL 708P since they can play loud, though on the latter I worry about the tweeter distortion and potential for hiss.
There isn't much in the market for passive "standmount" speakers with high dynamic capability. Arendal is definitely one. In terms of active speakers, the Neumann 310 might work. Sigberg Audio's monitors are designed to play loud and be supported by subs. I am thinking along the same lines.

Last edited:

Eetu

Forum Donor
Weight: 77.2 lbs

You better have some hefty stands!
Something like this for 10€ each :cool:
stndern1suz.jpg

source: https://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?t=5639&start=165

Eetu

Forum Donor

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that there just seems to be the one subwoofer (as opposed to the cardioid bass modules).

This is a mastering setup, not home listening, so they don't use bass management. They want to be able to hear the output of each channel as it exists on the recording to verify correctness. The subwoofer is purely for the LFE channel, nothing else, which is also why it has a little 8320 attached to it to provide full range response as discussed in this video.

youngho

This is a mastering setup, not home listening, so they don't use bass management. They want to be able to hear the output of each channel as it exists on the recording to verify correctness. The subwoofer is purely for the LFE channel, nothing else, which is also why it has a little 8320 attached to it to provide full range response as discussed in this video.

Thanks! I didn’t watch the video.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't watch the video at the moment, but the idea that you'll be hearing each channel accurately when the bass sources are at different places in the room is a fallacy. The physics of room modes don't change because you're creating music. It would be more accurate to perfect one location and just use that.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Can't watch the video at the moment, but the idea that you'll be hearing each channel accurately when the bass sources are at different places in the room is a fallacy. The physics of room modes don't change because you're creating music. It would be more accurate to perfect one location and just use that.
The latency occured by a digital bass management ?

Eetu

Forum Donor
Have you see the picture you had posted. No
Share yes but clever concept, idea...
If you mean the acoustic panels behind the speakers, I agree. Not enough area covered and/or speakers placed too far from the wall for the panels to help much. They seem to be GIK Impression panels or similar.

dfuller

Major Contributor
KH420 is a standmount speaker.
It's technically a standmount, but the "stands" would be massive blocks or they'd be soffit mounted. KH420s are an excellent soffit option actually.

Bartl007

There isn't much in the market for passive "standmount" speakers with high dynamic capability. Arendal is definitely one. In terms of active speakers, the Neumann 310 might work. Sigberg Audio's monitors are designed to play loud and be supported by subs. I am thinking along the same lines.
PMC ib2s, dynaudio M3XE, JBL M2 (if you consider that passive), ATC SCM150 SL are a few that come to mind, genelec s360 can also have amp rack mounted if you don't want it attached to the enclosure in a traditional "active" sense

HooStat

PMC ib2s, dynaudio M3XE, JBL M2 (if you consider that passive), ATC SCM150 SL are a few that come to mind, genelec s360 can also have amp rack mounted if you don't want it attached to the enclosure in a traditional "active" sense
I was interpreting "standmount" to mean something reasonably sized. Certainly there are options, and probably more on the active studio monitor side of things.

The problem with most passive two-ways is that they trade efficiency for extension (for understandable reasons).

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The LFE can contain non-bass content and they need to guard against that and remove it when it's there, that's what the video says, so they need full range output for the LFE-only. Anyway, we already have a thread about professional mixing/mastering and bass management that discusses many issues with it, so it doesn't need to be in this thread. Here the only salient point is -- studios don't want it, and they're the customer.

Top Bottom