• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 488 93.5%

• Total voters

Digby

Major Contributor
How much does it cost a manufacturer to provide different colour enclosures? I can't decide if the silver looks nicer or not. It does look very 1990s though.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Yes, "if the kh420...." psi audio can colore his speakers. Red, black, white and I even saw gold.
A gold psi audio a25 or a23?

Or this https://www.psiaudio.swiss/heritage3-all-the-legacy-of-psi-audio-in-your-livingroom/
I like the white
PSIA-A23_MS_SIDE_White.png

Aafnp

May pick up a used pair tomorrow for a pretty good price, though one of the speakers has a big surface scratch. Any particular tests I should do to ensure they work and that they’re legit?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
May pick up a used pair tomorrow for a pretty good price, though one of the speakers has a big surface scratch. Any particular tests I should do to ensure they work and that they’re legit?
Check the limiters works.
Check no noise, no hisse.
Check each speaker works with rew
Check the two speakers have the same anechoic response.
Check the visual state of the woofer.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
If you want you can send the serial numbers to Neumann and they will send you dates of manufacture. If you’re interested.

Aafnp

Check the limiters works.
Check no noise, no hisse.
Check each speaker works with rew
Check the two speakers have the same anechoic response.
Check the visual state of the woofer.
Dumb question, how do I check whether the limiters work?

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm waiting to get some used Revel Ultima Salon 2 here in Germany and now this review. It almost cost the same but with these Ill get a new product. Will I regret it to buy the Neumann over the Salon 2 or the Genelec? I want to buy quality once and want never look back. What should I do now?
They would sound different, and it won’t be because one or more or less perfect than the other. Salon 2 has a wider dispersion and you should expect the listening experience between the two is quite different.

One isn’t more right in that regard, you’ll have to give a listen.

Aafnp

Tested out the used pair successfully and bought them! Turns out they were from one of Paul Allen’s studios. Since there’s a scratch on one of them, I managed to haggle the pair down to $5850.

Just level matched the sides, did dirac calibration, eq’ed a bit of mid-bass boost, and integrated my subs with them. They sound incredible. Amazing imaging/soundstage, super textured yet clean bass down to 30hz, and incredible detail. At low volumes, they sound crystal clear with good bass presence. Now I just need a t25 drill bit so I can reorient the mid/tweeter to the upright position.

Attachments

• 0BC653D3-EB77-4BA6-96AF-3BA695DEF654.jpeg
    0BC653D3-EB77-4BA6-96AF-3BA695DEF654.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Tested out the used pair successfully and bought them! Turns out they were from one of Paul Allen’s studios. Since there’s a scratch on one of them, I managed to haggle the pair down to $5850.

Just level matches the sides, did dirac calibration, eq’ed a bit of mid-bass boost, and integrated my subs with them. They sound incredible. Amazing imaging/soundstage, super textured yet clean bass down to 30hz, and incredible detail. At low volumes, they sound crystal clear with good bass presence. Now I just need a t25 drill bit so I can reorient the mid/tweeter to the upright position.
Wow
They're either super deep or it's an optical illusion
Anyways congrats

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If y’all had to choose, would you select ls60’s or kh420’s?
Not a close call: KH420 for two reasons.

1) Neumann offers optional grilles. I have not heard that KEF will. A speaker must have grilles to reside in my home.

2) Neumann electronics can be removed from the cabinet and remotely located, requiring only a single (multi core) speaker cable be sent to the speaker. On a desktop is one thing, but in a room I’d rather not tether loudspeakers to power outlets. It’s easier to run low voltage cable.

mctron

Just level matched the sides, did dirac calibration, eq’ed a bit of mid-bass boost, and integrated my subs with them. They sound incredible. Amazing imaging/soundstage, super textured yet clean bass down to 30hz, and incredible detail. At low volumes, they sound crystal clear with good bass presence. Now I just need a t25 drill bit so I can reorient the mid/tweeter to the upright position.
That's awesome and an awesome price. They look WAY bigger here than in Amir's pic.

Aafnp

I just did a bit more REW tuning and measuring, and this is the best frequency response I could manage in my room. I do like the bass being a bit boosted, and subjectively this tuning sounds good. Any feedback on how to improve?
5CB91E89-DA2B-48B5-B173-F0D5EB1F2DC5.jpeg

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Here’s mine with a bass shelf, using 3, KH805 subs for room correction FWIW.

Attachments

• A7BEA687-31CD-4FB6-B89B-9F49E24092E4.jpeg
    A7BEA687-31CD-4FB6-B89B-9F49E24092E4.jpeg
    946.9 KB · Views: 178
Top Bottom